Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:19   #1

Santro eRLX - Fuel Type

Hi Experts,

I am sure there would be multiple threads on this topic but I was not able to find one easily hence thought of posting one more .

I own a Santro eRLX XO bought Jan 2007, leaving in Bangalore.

Before I post my queries a few points:
1- I drive with A/C, never drove without it
2- Use normal unleaded petrol
3- Gear shifting is almost as recommended

I have the following (lots of) queries and would highly appreciate your help/advice:

1- I am getting 11-11.5 KM/Litre in Bangalore city (haven't tried the highway yet). Is this a good mileage?

2- I am using shell/bp normal unleaded petrol. Do you think I should switch to Shell Super Unleaded for the compression ration the Santro has, 8.9:1? Is it advised? Would it improve performance/mileage?

3- What is the Octane level of Shell Super Unleaded (91/93/97)?

4- I keep adjusting the temperature control depending on the heat outside. Would keeping the temperature control at the coolest point consume more fuel than keeping it at mid-point?

5- Do car A/Cs have an air filter similar to home A/Cs? If yes, how can it be cleaned in a Santro?

6- What is an A/C neutrilizer?

Many Thanks,
hdoshi
Old 27th September 2007, 18:42   #2

Hi All,

I would highly appreciate any information on my queries above...

Thanks in advance,
hdoshi
Old 27th September 2007, 19:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

the mileage seems ok.

you can try super unleaded and see for yourself. it is 93 i think since the normal shell is 91.

just keep it at the coolest. sometimes in the morning when it is cool you can adjust it. but remember the compressor give out the same temp air whenever it is on, the heater makes the air slightly warmer when you adjust the thermostat.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Doshi,
1) Yes, your mileage seems OK.
2) Mileage is likely to drop with premium. Performance might increase.
3) I'm not sure but I think it is 91.
4) Yes, your car will consume more if you keep the AC at max. In most budget cars, the compressor cuts in and out to maintain temperature.
5) Car ACs have an air filter very similar to domestic window units. Sorry, I don't know about Santro, since I'm a WagonR user.
6) Is that the car 'perfume'? I've no idea.

You're welcome.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

From what the shell supervisor at a pump told me the super unleaded has the same octane number as the normal petrol. The only difference is the presence of additives.
Old 27th September 2007, 20:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoshi View Post
5- Do car A/Cs have an air filter similar to home A/Cs? If yes, how can it be cleaned in a Santro?
I too had this question in my mind for some days. Looks like there is no efficient filter out there in Santro before the A/c blower. When the blower is in fresh air mode, any smell present outside is immediately felt in the car too. or filter only filters the dust and no the smell.
Is there anyway to improve that!?

Mileage of around 12 with A/c on is normal I guess, for a Santro. I too get the same number!
Old 28th September 2007, 23:29   #7

Hi All, first of all thanks for all your responses. Highly appreciated.

Akshay1234 - I will try the super unleaded as soon as I reach the last drop of the unleaded fuel currently in my car.

Mr. Anupmathur, you can call me Doshi, please don't be formal. I will find out the car filter from the service engineer/centre. I had seen an ad, GULF AC Neutrilizer - its some kind of a spray that is sprayed in the vents...probably used to remove bad odour (stale smell)...not sure but will find out.

Lukeskywalker, my understanding is the additives help keep the fuel system like pump, injection etc clean. If so, then it would be an advantage - will post my result as soon as I try the super unleaded for a couple of full tanks.

Shyamhedge, In fact, the exterior smell does penetrate into the car with the fresh air option closed and AC running...since you are in Bangalore - try the double road opposite big bazaar (mori)...I don't think there is an option but to use a good quality air freshner :-)

Speaking about air freshners...I recently had a bad experience. I bought a new air freshner, made in china, wax based in a casing that looks like a big dice. Initially it smelt nice, but after a few days, I fell ill...eyes started burning, throat irritation. To prove it, I removed it from my car and placed it near my bedside...guess what...the health problem now started happening when I went to sleep and not in the car...please use caution when trying out new air freshners.
Old 29th September 2007, 13:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoshi View Post
I own a Santro eRLX XO bought Jan 2007, leaving in Bangalore.

1- I am getting 11-11.5 KM/Litre in Bangalore city (haven't tried the highway yet). Is this a good mileage?
The worst I get with AC and pedal to metal drive is 13
Quote:
2- I am using shell/bp normal unleaded petrol. Do you think I should switch to Shell Super Unleaded for the compression ration the Santro has, 8.9:1? Is it advised? Would it improve performance/mileage?
from my experience petrol with additives makes engine smoother
Quote:
4- I keep adjusting the temperature control depending on the heat outside. Would keeping the temperature control at the coolest point consume more fuel than keeping it at mid-point?
it only mixes outside air. keep fan speed to the lowest.
Quote:
cleaning ac filter/system cant be done at home. They would charge you 1500 or so which includes refilling the gas after cleaning the entire unit

Quote:
6- What is an A/C neutrilizer?
there's a thread about this.
Old 29th September 2007, 18:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
it only mixes outside air. keep fan speed to the lowest.
As answer to question 4 that does not sound right.
In most cars the compressor cuts in and out to maintain temperature.
Old 13th April 2014, 04:52   #10
BHPian

Re: Santro eRLX - Fuel Type

JK's quite right. The compressor doesn't go off . it'll run even if the blower is off and the thermostat is on full heat. I learned by goofing up- went to the mech for a fix for heavy idle in January. Even from a cold start.

Turned out the AC was on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks