Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 18:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange Palio Problem? 1.2 ELX

I have been facing the problem of poor pickup and mileage offlate. Mileage isnt as big an issue as power is. It just refuses to climb flyover with total 4 people in the car with AC on, forget acceleration, the car wont even maintain its speed. The speedo actually comes down from say 60-70 kph to 50 kmph by the time I am at the top. The same thing happens in 4th and 5th gear. For any sort of acceleration I have to shift into 3rd and almost bury the accelerator. The mileage is barely 8-9 kmpl!
The idle isnt constant or smooth, the engine gives a momentary jerk in b/w while idling as if the car has missed a beat.
While the above is true at most times, at other times the car is smooth, the engine is idling smoothly and the pick up and everything else is absolutely fine! The transtion is unbelieveable and engine is butter smooth.
I have noted that whenever the fuel level is low in the car, it runs comparitively better. The idle is still not constant, but the jerk or the cough from the engine isnt as pronounced.
The service center people say its a problem with the injectors which doesnt makes any sense to me.
I am suspecting the fuel pump. Can this be an issue with the fuel pump?
Due to more fuel in the car and hence more force on the pump due to the mass of the fuel, its pumping in more fuel than required in the engine causing the mixture to be rich and hence the low mileage and power.

Any other insights into this? Please help me out guys, its making a huge dent in my pocket everytime I take the car out, 8-9 kmpl is too low.

Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:42   #2
BHPian

did you get your car hooked up to the ecu analyser? did it show any errors, especially with ignition coil (varying rpm)?

fuel pump could be problem!!
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:46   #3
BHPian

Assuming that your car has run at least 70k, assuming you regularly service your car and keep its breathing smooth, the worst case scenario i can think of for this type of problem is that your piston rings have worn out.
you may need a new set. This will also address your mileage problem to some extent.
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:47   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Check injectors, fuel pump & fuel filter. Mostly these will be the culprits. If these are fine then the problem should be with the ECU. Because I was once told "Mechanicals can't change by the minute like that, if its anything its the ECU".
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

We faced a similar problem in our 1.6GTX and it was related to the ignition coils.
Get those checked.
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

@kapil... The analyzer isnt wroking at Samyak where I get my car serviced. They did reset the ECU by removing the battery terminals.

@venkat... It dont think its anything related to piston rings. The car isnt smoking, its not drinking oil, the spark plugs have come out clean.

@lambo... Will ask them to check the same. Even I suspected ignition coils but cant seem to understand why the car drives fine suddenly.

@mclaren: It does makes sense. Will look into it.

Thanks everybody, anyother probable cause.
Old 2nd October 2007, 19:33   #7
BHPian

I have a similar problem with my Baleno, everymorning when i start the car, there is this prominent lag in acceleration when i shift gears, there is no problem with the idle but as the temperature reaches its running temperature this problem vanishes. So i donot really think if its a faulty ignition coil but i guess the problem could be with the injectors which maybe clogged or restricted by a buildup of fuel varnish deposits.
Could it also be a fuel pump problem cause she gives me about 8 to the litre in city conditions.

Last edited by turbolader : 2nd October 2007 at 19:34.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:05   #8
BHPian

Here is another one. Ask your mechanic to clean the fuel lines. It maybe then because you might have taken in a load of bad fuel somewhere that is causing this.
I once had this problem where the car would suddenly jerk even at 40=50 like it is too slow for the gear. After much diagnosis the problem was narrowed to clogged /carbon in the fuel filter which was affecting fuel supply.
As for better behaviour from the engine when fuel is low.. it does not make sense to me. I had the opposite behaviour. Whenever fuel was low the engine would jerk away to glory (oh no.. now i have given it a completely different meaning :o ).
anyway i agree then it must be the fuel lines. just have it checked out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks