Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 20:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Grinding noise in gear-change!

In my fiat 137D, while depressing clutch and engaging first gear, i hear a non-uniform grinding noise.

When i shift to neutral again, and the clutch is depressed still, the sound continues or stops.

This also happens at 2nd, 3rd too, but at higher rpm/car speeds, there is no sound at all.

Local mechanic says gearbox need to be opened.

Help...

Last edited by ramzsys : 1st October 2007 at 20:15.
Old 1st October 2007, 21:09   #2
Ram
Senior - BHPian

@ramzsys, this is characteristic of the silky smooth all-synchromesh Premier 118NE gearbox and the Padmini S1s that inherited it.

When the engine is idling with the gear lever in neutral, you will hear a steady hum. When you depress the clutch pedal, this hum disappears.

My guess is that the idler shaft in the gear box hums when spinning free.
Again, it's no more than an educated guess.

A "grinding" noise sounds more serious. I would recommend you get advice from a 118NE/PadminiS1 expert. At this time, I can think of none more competent than Behram Dhabhar.

Ram
Old 1st October 2007, 22:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a clutch issue (maybe pressure plate) rather than anything to do with the gearbox. Try opening the Clutch housing rather than the gearbox. However will agree that Behram Dhabar is the best person to direct you.
Old 1st October 2007, 22:37   #4
BHPian

Have you changed your transmition oil recently ?? If not get it throughly flushed and changed. Then if the problem persist, you may go furthur to check the clutch pressure plate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks