Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 12:40   #1

Reserve Tank capacity on Swift VXi ??

Hey guys

I'd like to know what is the reserve tank capacity on the Maruti Swift VXi. The manual says its 43lt, is it inclusive of the reserve tank capacity ??

Also, when does the reserve fuel get utilized ? The moment the dial touches the line at the 'E' symbol or below that ?

Regards
Chetan
Old 17th October 2007, 12:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

There is nothing like a reserve tank capacity in cars, any car.

In fact come to thing of it there is no reserve tank capacity in the literal sense even in bikes. There is no separate tank in any case. Just the movement of the fuel knob that causes the fuel to start flowing after it has fallen below the level of the flow outlet under the regular position.

As for cars, they do not stall and then start with a reserve capacity on the turn of a knob. It just keeps running till it can not pull any more fuel from the tank. And thats it. Your car stalls till you refuel it. Period. So 43lts it is. The whole tank's capacity. And thats what it is.

EDIT: That fuel gauge is a very crude indicator and does not really has a liter by liter mapping. Generally you should tank up before it has touched the E mark. At E mark you are really flying on a wing and a prayer, so to say.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th October 2007 at 12:48.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2007, 12:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
EDIT: That fuel gauge is a very crude indicator and does not really has a liter by liter mapping. Generally you should tank up before it has touched the E mark. At E mark you are really flying on a wing and a prayer, so to say.
After the E mark, I had traveled around 50 kms many a times in my Swift. Safer would be around 25 kms after the E mark.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:58   #4
BHPian

I think after the E mark, there will be around 4-5L remaining.
Old 17th October 2007, 14:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Since I always top up at the E, and the amount of fuel that goes in at this level is 37 liters, the total tank capacity being 43 liters, gives us a figure of 6 liters after the E mark in the Swift. This, in your terminology is the "reserve capacity" of the Swift.
Old 17th October 2007, 14:35   #6
BANNED

It is recommended not to dry your tank till the E-mark ( as per manuals from maruti)
alexrabbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2007, 15:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
It is recommended not to dry your tank till the E-mark ( as per manuals from maruti)
A sound advice! Will cause the fuel pump to work harder thus shortening its life. I guess most of the fuel tanks today are plastics, but if it's metal keeping it empty might also lead to corrosion.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2007, 15:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I think after the E mark, there will be around 4-5L remaining.
I agree with you. There should be atleast 5-6 litres of petrol when the pointer comes on the red mark.
I bought a new Estilo recently and as per the agency checklist, they put 5 litres of petrol on delivery. when i had a look at the indicator, the pointer did not move a bit from the red mark.
On asking about the same, the salesman told me this much amount of fuel is kept as a reserve.

after that I had driven around 40 km.
Old 18th October 2007, 16:22   #9
BANNED

Same topic :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reserve-2.html
Old 18th October 2007, 16:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
A sound advice! Will cause the fuel pump to work harder thus shortening its life. I guess most of the fuel tanks today are plastics, but if it's metal keeping it empty might also lead to corrosion.
The fuel pump will work harder? Then similarly, I guess I better stop drinking water from a glass when it dips below the half-way level, lest that water doesnt flow properly.

Maruti's suggestion is for a perfectly safe scenario so that the driver shouldnt run out of fuel before realizing it.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th October 2007 at 16:35.
Old 18th October 2007, 20:07   #11
BHPian

On my swift if i ride the fuel down to E
then it takes 38 lts to fill up full
since its a 43 lt tank : i guess 5 lt "reserve"
Old 19th October 2007, 02:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

Actually, the fuel guage is always a very crude marker. In fact sometimes you may even find a little bit of variation in the level display between two cars of the same make. Typically all cars give a rough indication as it is a mechanical system (actually electro-mechanical), most probably a float that keeps on top of the fuel surface like a buoy. That is why when the car is on a incline or tilted a lot sometimes the fuel gauge shows a different fuel level than it was showing a while earlier when it was on a plain ground. Obviously in a huge tank a few liters hardly make up for any height and hence the float thats on the floor of the tank shows empty level. One more thing is that AFAIK in modern cars the car stops completely even when there is some fuel left in the tank. This is to prevent damage to the FIP in case the tank goes completely dry.

So essentially that fuel in the tank when the gauge shows empty is not for reserve or anything but in a way a handicap of the mechanism.

Last edited by Zappo : 19th October 2007 at 02:54.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:14   #13
BHPian

Folks
The graduation of the fuel guage in swift is not really to the mark. At the last mark on the guage before the 'E' mark we havr alomst 8 Ltrs of fuel.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:34   #14
BHPian

The XETA runs 30 Km after the Low Fuel LED indicator turns off on E Mark- Without AC so I think the capacity would be around 3-3.5 Ltr.

The Lancer went on to 35 Km on Full bright Empty LED. The Empty LED starts faintly and goes on to become Brighter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks