Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ shuvc - thats a very good suggestion - may she can stay with us while Sumitro is on assignment. even shuvd was interested in maintaining the car while sumitro is away.

i think hiring a driver is a better option than selling her.
Old 30th October 2007, 02:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

The option of hiring a driver can only be opted for if a trustworthy driver can be found, who will not slowly and steadily scavenge the car of OEM parts. Starting it once in a while would not keep the battery fine. One can keep the car jacked up with the wheels removed, battery disconnected and the fuel lines removed. Intake manifold sealed, exhaust sealed.

On a new gen car with sealed bearings and everything, I dont see why you cant drive of the car after you return.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:07   #18
BHPian

Leaving Your Vehicle Idle For Long!

Hey Blackpearl,

Am a seafarer...regularly leave my drive for LONG (Min 6-9 months) periods (do not allow anyone to drive my sweetheart!!). I have had no problems with ANY of my vehicles. This is what i do:

1. Put lots of moth***** in the passanger cabin & boot...this prevents pests from entering the cabin.
2. Over-inflate the tyres by 5psi more than the recommended.
3. I use 2 car-covers one on top of the other with elastic & strap underneath...helps to keep the elements away.
4. Disconnect both the battery terminals.
5. Just before i hibernate my vehicle...i fill half a tank of SPEED 97....this keeps from clogging anything in the fuel lines.
6. i am lucky to have sheltered parking & building security though.
7. i always use a coat of wax just before a leave...even though gets dusty...just a wash & she is like before! i would even recommend teflon coating a couple of days before departure!

When i come back...the battery is dead...sometimes the cells are dead too...so have to change the battery...engine oil change is recommended...no other oils are necessary (like transmission, brake, clutch etc).

Hope this gives you a good idea!
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2007, 08:27   #19

I went on an onsite assignment which was initially supposed to be for three months which went on extending and finally came back after one year and nine months. Obviously I did not sell my car. I had just disconnected the battery and put the cover to keep the dust out. No other extra care was taken.

In between I visited twice (average gap six months). And every time the car started on the second or third crank! Of course I got it the service station before using it just to ensure that everything is working fine. So, in my opinion there is no issue in keeping it idle. Starting every week etc., may not be required, unless someone is actually driving it, afterall. My battery was already three years old and it is still in pretty good conditions after all that idle period. So, it is not true that the battery would die if not used for a long time. Keep it disconnected of course.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

My cousin faced a similar situation 2 years back. He became desparate since he had just bought the Bolero & spent a fortune on it & could not sell it. I offered to keep her & he was only too glad to give her to me. If you have good friends who have good parking space, it is a good option. Good friends will know just how much the car needs to be used & will not overuse it either.
Old 30th October 2007, 12:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Thanks once again to all the BHPians for the inputs. You have helped me decide what to do. In fact I am very happy as most of the replies have been what I wanted to hear - "dont sell the car, nothing will happen"
Had a chat with dad yesterday night and he has told me that he will be more than happy to do everything so that the car does not face any probs. He has also agreed to drive the car himself to the nearby petrol station once in two weeks, fill petrol and check tire pressures. Dad will also be starting the car twice every week. I will get the car thoroughly serviced before going. I have also told him that if he faces any prob with the car then he should contact Shuvc and Shuvd
Old 30th October 2007, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

simple thumb rule, if nobody is starting and moving the car once in 2 weeks, simple sell it off, or you will have to spend alot of money to set things right.

I recently spent 12000 Rs for my M800, was standing for 7 month moved just once. and then 8 moths, again started once.

But just on the positive note, first time after the purchase on 1999, car was standing for 1.7 years, not started, moved at all, but was parked underground. After 1.7 years, battery completely gone, tyres jammed, carburetor choked, hard brakes, tyres hard etc. It was just parked in hurry, with no precautions at all

Last edited by rkbharat : 30th October 2007 at 12:26.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
He has also agreed to drive the car himself to the nearby petrol station once in two weeks, fill petrol and check tire pressures.
Fill your tyres with nitrogen if you haven't done that already.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

did anyone mention rats? :-)
Old 30th October 2007, 14:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Fill your tyres with nitrogen if you haven't done that already.

Nitrogen not available yet in this nick of the woods yet.
Old 30th October 2007, 15:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Long term storage

My friend has a 2000 Qualis and last year he had to go out for about 8 months. He left the Qualis with me. Once a week I used to drive to work in it.

When my friend returned, he got his vehicle back in the same condition he left with me.
Old 31st October 2007, 20:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
simple thumb rule, if nobody is starting and moving the car once in 2 weeks, simple sell it off, or you will have to spend alot of money to set things right.

I recently spent 12000 Rs for my M800, was standing for 7 month moved just once. and then 8 moths, again started once.

But just on the positive note, first time after the purchase on 1999, car was standing for 1.7 years, not started, moved at all, but was parked underground. After 1.7 years, battery completely gone, tyres jammed, carburetor choked, hard brakes, tyres hard etc. It was just parked in hurry, with no precautions at all
We are talking about Blackpearl's Blackpearl here, its not a "point A" to "point B" device, but an object of his love. Love knows no finances!

@BP where are you going? ...Maranello?
Old 31st October 2007, 22:10   #28
BHPian

I have experience of ruining a good car (Matiz - 52k done)

Last year I went onsite for 2 months and then extended to 4 months (not even year).

On return the list was huge.

Battery dead, the wheels locked, Hand break just did not disengage, after starting engine felt wierd, 1 tyre cracked (they say it happnes.), the belt started making lot of noise and finally unwanted stoppages.

Sold it with in 1 month and in Nov got Palio.

Sell it instead of ruining, let it be win win situation. You can then stay for another year also and earn more.
Old 1st November 2007, 00:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

We had an old 800 unused for 4 months. Nothing really happened. It was driven for 1km/week and as expected, the battery was destroyed.

There were a few symptoms of rust around the wheels, but that was understandable since the car was pretty old.

Blackpearl, don't sell the car. Just remember that you won't get back this beauty when you come back - even if you pay 50-60k more than your selling price.

Ask someone to take the car out once in a while. If the street is crowded, ask him/her to take it out at 5 or 6 in the morning or in the late nights.
Old 1st November 2007, 02:28   #30
BHPian

My turn:

Keep the car, get to your location, see for a couple of months how things are - If you are going to stay long term (1+ years) then ask your family to sell the car.

If you get to know you'll be back soon, let her be and do everything that the BHPians advised.

Also, we humans are a never-satisfied lot. Fact is, after coming back (US or UK or wherever) you WILL want a better ride being used to the grunt, that's what I feel.

Think about it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks