Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 21:11   #1
BHPian

About the Lancer ECU

After going through the threads in Team BHP forums about ECU and its uses, I managed to locate the ECU in my Mitsubishi Lancer (2001/Petrol).

Now, I'd really appreciate if the experts in this forum can solve my queries.

[+] What ECU reading equipment can I use for my Lancer.

[+] Can the info. from ECU be modified by the equipment or any software ?

Thanks ...
Old 8th November 2007, 21:17   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

you need a scanner like launch tech x431 or others with the correct software..you need an obd2 jack and to modify your ECU? what do you want to do.
Old 8th November 2007, 21:41   #3
BHPian

I just want to experiment modifying different engine parameters safely without damaging the engine.
Old 9th November 2007, 19:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshyamsundar View Post
I just want to experiment modifying different engine parameters safely without damaging the engine.
The parameters on most factory ECUs cannot be changed at the customer or even the tuner level. And what gives you the idea that experimenting with engine parameters like AFR will not screw up your engine.

If you are interested in experimenting with ECU parameters, you will need to get yourself a standalone and then sit with the tuner who knows what he is doing and then try experimenting. Later stages you can also try tuning using wideband o2 sensor although I'm not sure what benefits it'll give on a stock motor.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: About the Lancer ECU

Is there a way to know if the 4g15 ECU has a newer firmware available? The ECU has been doing its duty well into the newer Colt so was just wondering.

Is it possible to use the newer firmware for our Indian Lancers?
Old 24th December 2010, 00:48   #6
BHPian

Tinkering with the factory default ECU map is not advised, even the A.S.S. is not equipped to do it.

If you have located the ECU then find out if it has an OBD port. Your best bet is to interface an add-on device with a serial cable and then try out the enhanced maps offered by the add-on device. This way it is safer, you can revert back to factory defaults anytime later and won't void the warranty.

I believe the Indian variant of Lancer (99-2004) is the Evo4 version. Do a google search for Volo chips, they should have one for Lancer Evo4 too. The chip is programmed to adapt to your driving style and automatically keeps switching between preset maps.

I haven't tried but some say it increases engine power by 10-15 BHP and also improves fuel efficiency - but honestly I doubt if both can be achieved at the same time.
----------------------------
regards
Chewbacca
Old 24th December 2010, 14:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it then advisable to go for a Piggyback ECU instead? Many have actually used and claimed to have achieved a better performance/efficiency figure.

PS: IIRC our lancer is EVO VI based.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:09   #8
BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 - RPM idling issues

Hi friends,

Recently I did a engine diagnostics scan / MUT at Mitsubishi A-S-S in Mumbai to check why my RPM idling in petrol wasn't stable.

It would start at 1000 rpm and at times hover upto 1500 rpm and above and then settle down. I wanted to check the reason for this high RPM. They made their best adjustments / tuning and finally said that its a problem with the ECU. And that i would have to change it.

I tried to ask more questions. They said that they have inspected and checked the spark plugs, IAC valve and related sensors and all other stuff works fine. They said something like 'ECU is giving out improper air control related signals due to which the RPM is not stable'.
So bottomline, they concluded that its the ECU that needs to be replaced.

(Note that I have converted to CNG about a year and a half back, and it has been absolutely no issues till date. On CNG the RPM is stable at close to 1000 RPM without AC, but once I start AC it drops to very low and the engine at times struggles to hold. I have to keep revving on stand still to prevent stalling. CNG kit is OMVL open loop)

My queries;

1) If its indeed the ECU (and the original OEM from Mitsu would cost a lot) that I need to replace, then would you advice any repair work on current ECU and who are the expert garages in Mumbai who would do this?

2) Should I first start changing the spark plug cables (as one mechanic with whom I discussed this, suggested I do this first before getting into the ECU bit)

3) I have found some shops in Kurla that sell ECU (but do not know how trustworthy they are and whether their parts are genuine). If any recommendation, leads are most welcome

4) Any other members have had similar issues.

(Mods : I have searched for links across team-bhp site and wasn't sure if I could start a new thread or post under an existing one. Feel free to help me move it as appropriate please)

Looking forward to your suggestions / inputs. Thanks.
Old 11th January 2013, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: About the Lancer ECU

Check for vacuum leaks.
Old 11th January 2013, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Check for vacuum leaks.
Thanks Pranav. Sorry lame question, where does the vacuum leak typically occur? What needs to be checked ? Thanks.
Old 12th January 2013, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Anywhere between the head's intake ports to the throttle butterfly. Could be a bad intake manifold gasket, bad IACV gasket or something else. You should only have to pay for minimal labour even if zero vacuum leaks are found. Far cheaper than experimenting with replacement ECUs, which you can buy later if other options don't work out.
Old 21st January 2013, 23:46   #12
BHPian

Hi Pranav, thanks. Surprising I have been driving around in petrol mode for last 2 weeks straight after a I realised last week that the rpm idling has stabilised on its own. It's constant around 950 - 1000 rpm, and quite stable almost at same zone even when AC is on.

I didnt do anything at all.

What I forgot to mention to you that when I did the diagnostics at Mitsu A S S, they had replaced the throttle body gasket saying it had cracked, which was causing the RPM issue but even after that the problem persisted.

After quite a lot of effort they said that the problem lies with the ECU. That's when I wrote my first post on the topic describing my issue.

Strange it has settled on its own, the car is super smooth now.

The CNG rpm however drops to almost zero and the car stalls which means I just need to fix the CNG timing separately.

Any thoughts sir?
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:37   #13
BHPian

For CNG, spark timing needs to be advanced significantly. You will need a separate emulator for this. Your vaccum leak via the throttle body gasket has been rectified. Other minlor leaks are taken care of by the ECU through it's self-learning capability.

Last edited by 1self : 22nd January 2013 at 09:38.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks