Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 15:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

OHC 1.3Exi Tie-Rod/Ball joint replacement at 52k! Advice pls.

The front drivers side footwell had developed a recurring muted thud of late, especially on slightly uneven surfaces.

On getting it checked, they reported the tie-rod and ball joint need replacement - the cars done just 52k. Is this too early ? Of course, its seen the worst phase of 3-4 kms of the Bannerghata Road for 3 years, but at very low speeds.

Is it also advisable to get the other side checked/replaced at the same time, or is there no real correlation and one might as well wait for any symptom there too ?
Old 27th November 2007, 15:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sameer, I'm really not surprised here. It may be the right time or early but I really don't blame any car or it's maker for these damages.
Despite paying huge tax on roads, we don't have roads. Your area is notorious to add on.

Get your repair done and continue with this lackadaisical attitude of our clueless govt.
Old 27th November 2007, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

True. I live off Sarjapura Road these days and Bannerghata Road is better, but at its worst it was unpardonable.
Even so, 52k seems low. Should I get the other one checked too ?
Old 28th November 2007, 21:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Both sides' ball joints and tie-rods replaced. Also replaced the stabilizer bushes, and did some other suspension related maintenance work. Overall feel is the same - though the thuds have gone. Maybe in my head but the steering felt a tad heavier initially - need to observe it for a couple of days at least. Anything I should look for specifically ?

Damages - 6753/- overall.
Old 28th November 2007, 21:43   #5
BHPian

i'm also having that thud sounds in my car's left side while going through uneven surfaces. mechanic said it may be of t-rod.. now its 61k in the odo.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it's early. i had the tie rods changed at 43K on my OHC Vtec.

Quote:
Sameer, I'm really not surprised here. It may be the right time or early but I really don't blame any car or it's maker for these damages.
Despite paying huge tax on roads, we don't have roads. Your area is notorious to add on.
Yeah right, when i had a prob, do you rem what you had said? Just read the first reply in the link below. LOL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...b-my-vtec.html

Shan2nu
Old 29th November 2007, 12:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Yeah right, when i had a prob, do you rem what you had said? Just read the first reply in the link below. LOL
But Shan, I don't think Sameer drives like the way you do. Just a guess work though.
Old 29th November 2007, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes I'm a very sedate(d) driver - never even notice where the potholes are

Last edited by zenx : 29th November 2007 at 12:31.
Old 29th November 2007, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

i got it changed at around same mileage for my 1.5exi
Old 29th November 2007, 21:26   #10

ohc 1.5 driver side sound

I am getting abnormal sound on rough road from driver side bottom.(thankthankthank). Only on rough road whereas on smooth road even on bump no sound appears. Shown to mechanic, he told that there is play in lower arm.(Rubber bushing gone) and suggested to change the whole lower arm. costing2.5K. Any suggestions or shall go for replacement straight away??
Old 30th November 2007, 07:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

@avishkar41 - yeah the symptoms are quite the same. The possible reasons mentioned to me were either the tie-rod/ball-joint or something in the lower arm - best to get it replaced if its already audible!

@narayan, shan2nu - thanks - feel more at peace to know its not totally abnormal and i'm not a complete reckless nut behind the wheel

Last edited by zenx : 30th November 2007 at 07:54.
Old 30th November 2007, 09:05   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishkar41 View Post
I am getting abnormal sound on rough road from driver side bottom.(thankthankthank). Only on rough road whereas on smooth road even on bump no sound appears. Shown to mechanic, he told that there is play in lower arm.(Rubber bushing gone) and suggested to change the whole lower arm. costing2.5K. Any suggestions or shall go for replacement straight away??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@avishkar41 - yeah the symptoms are quite the same. The possible reasons mentioned to me were either the tie-rod/ball-joint or something in the lower arm - best to get it replaced if its already audible!

@narayan, shan2nu - thanks - feel more at peace to know its not totally abnormal and i'm not a complete reckless nut behind the wheel
Guys,

Would advise you to install quality parts as the chinese/taiwan made lower arms are not of good quality and you would end up having to replace the same very soon. It will also affect the handling of your car so better to get it done at the dealership or if you have contacts then get the genuine parts from the dealership and replace it at your local garage.

Viper
Old 30th November 2007, 10:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Guys,

Would advise you to install quality parts as the chinese/taiwan made lower arms are not of good quality and you would end up having to replace the same very soon. It will also affect the handling of your car so better to get it done at the dealership or if you have contacts then get the genuine parts from the dealership and replace it at your local garage.

Viper
Does the dealership provide warranty or garuntee on the parts?
Old 30th November 2007, 11:01   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire View Post
Does the dealership provide warranty or garuntee on the parts?
Hi,

Am not 100% sure but am sure they would provide a reasonable warranty of say 6 months to a year or so.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks