Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 13:34   #1
BHPian

is it possible to clean the lense of the lights from inside

hi,
i don't know if any one will understand what i am trying to ask .I have a daewoo cielo,i had changed the lights to philips h4 90/100, when i drove the car at night i noticed the lights were not bright enough,i didn't mean it was not showing the 90/100 effect but it was not even bright as other cars i had then noticed that the lense of the lights were dirty from inside is it possible to open the lense and clean it from inside hope some one has understood my question

Last edited by team suzuki : 8th December 2007 at 13:47.
Old 8th December 2007, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Yes, it is very much possible to clean the headlight from inside out. What you will need is a heat-gun/oven(not the microwave variety). There are many DIYs on the net about angel eyes. See those to get an idea about baking your headlight to get the glue soft.

Then they use a butter-knife/other tool to separate the inner & outer housings of the headlight.

Once the headlight is apart, use a silver ornament cleaner liquid to clean the reflector to a mirror finish...& voila...your reflector is as good as new!

Now, bake the two saperate halves of the headlight again to soften the glue, put the two together & you are done!

Remember to be careful when you bake the headlights, don't melt the plastic or allow it to become too soft....this is the only critical area in this DIY!
Old 8th December 2007, 17:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

...Or you can get them done from Chor Bazaar in Bombay for a pittance, from someone with tremendous experience in a few minutes. A couple of us got it done recently with good results. I wouldnt tinker with opening the lights myself if I weren't absolutely sure of what I was doing.
Old 8th December 2007, 17:13   #4
BHPian

The guy lives in Kerala.
Old 8th December 2007, 18:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar problem in my cielo, what my mechanic did was remove the headlamp assembly and then he removed the bulb shade which is a kind of hood for the bulb and then u can use a soft cloth and your fingers to wipe most of the dust off. The only problem is the bulb shade has to be crushed for removal and so cannot be refitted, this only gives u a brighter light.
Old 8th December 2007, 21:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I had a similar problem in my cielo, what my mechanic did was remove the headlamp assembly and then he removed the bulb shade which is a kind of hood for the bulb and then u can use a soft cloth and your fingers to wipe most of the dust off. The only problem is the bulb shade has to be crushed for removal and so cannot be refitted, this only gives u a brighter light.
will this be a major problem?
Old 9th December 2007, 07:39   #7
BANNED

There was this guy called Karthik247 from Trivandrum who did all this himself using an LPG stove. And a proper DIY job it was.

I wouldn't take this chance. Would rather get it done with somebody who repairs headlamp assemblies. Try your nearest auto electrician. He may help you.
You can also use glass cleaner and cloth to get it cleaned after removing the bulbs.
Old 9th December 2007, 09:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will this be a major problem?
If you mean removing the bulb shade, I don't think it should matter much, IMHO these are used for shielding glare to oncoming vehicles, so if you are using a decent wattage bulb then I;m sure there won't be any problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks