Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 00:16   #1
BANNED

Need a Duplicate key for honda civic

guys, i have got just one keyless entry key and the other is just plain without keyless entry. i want another keyless entry key made. does anyone know anything about it. what is the procedure and cost.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Give your key number to Honda and they will make the key for you for around Rs.2000 or so.
Old 11th December 2007, 04:46   #3
BANNED

You'll be asked to take the vehicle to the service station too.
Old 6th February 2009, 22:30   #4

Can i get the keys converted?

Hey guys,
what if we dont have the codes for the keys?
Also i want to know-can i get a conversion done on a honda civic's keys?as in can i get the key converted,as to give it a look like the keys of an audi or bentley?
like in this picture

thank you
Old 8th February 2009, 19:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

When you get your car, a particular key code will be marked in your warranty card. The dealers use this code to make you duplicate keys. Remember that the Civic has a RFID based engine immobilizer system where the ECU communicates with the key and verifies it. A wrong key inserted into the ignition will instantly trip many systems (including one hard to reach control switch for the fuel pump deep in the dash).

Because of this whole system in place, changing the key looks will be nigh impossible I presume. It'll involve changes to at least three key receivers in the car and possibly an ECU change to disable the immobilizer unless a third party can code the keys to your specification. I'm unaware of anybody offering such a service. From what I read on K20A.org and from HONDATA, the system in the 8th gen Civic is one of the most advanced in the world (and weirdly enough, a few high performance Honda/Acura vehicle ECUs don't have it) and is nigh-on-impossible to reverse engineer as it protects the ECU code as well.
Old 5th August 2009, 23:39   #6
BHPian

Lost Civic Key

Can anyone tell me what the price of a Honda CIVIC key will be from the company (the remote control one)? What is the procedure to obtain a new key? (I seem to have lost mine)

Is there any specialty in the keys, or we can get it made from outside too?
Old 5th August 2009, 23:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

For all the new keys with immobilizer and remote lock inbuilt, Silca makes the duplicate keys for them in india.

They have a ECU scanner which gets the information from the car and accordingly they can write into a blank key.

I'm not sure for a Civic, but it was available for all Skodas, toyotas, mercedes. I don't remember honda.

Don't know dealer in Delhi but in bangalore there is a shop next to Woodlands hotel near Mallya hospital.

Catalogues
Old 6th August 2009, 00:26   #8
BHPian

Amazingly fast guys!

Thanks.

Any idea of costs?
Old 6th August 2009, 00:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

We also lost our Accord key a few months ago, so I've gone through the entire rigmarole. Prime Honda was clueless and refused to help. Courtesy Honda tried to be helpful but they too were pretty vague on the process - took me 3 visits and 3 different solutions and prices until I finally got to the right person who knew the exact process.

Here it is ..

Go to the Police Station and ideally get an FIR registered that you've lost the key. Police will do some chik chik regarding this but this is your right and shouldn't be a problem.

Alternately, what I did was made a letter on plain paper mentioning that I'm the owner of the car, registration, chassis no. etc., and got it stamped by the Police station.

Submit this to the Honda dealership along with a letter requesting duplicate key. Give your Key No. (mentioned in the registration booklet). Also, if you want a faster response from them - give them the non-remote duplicate key. In the meanwhile, you can use the Valet key. Make sure you DO NOT give them the Valet key.

Although they do not NEED the key, it will help you as without it the dealership will not want to take the risk of the Key No. being wrong and they ending up losing money on unnecessary unusable inventory.

I also gave them an advance of Rs. 3000/- so that they are confident and give me a quick turnaround.

Within 10 days I got a call from them that Key was ready, and I reached there the same day to collect it along with the duplicate I had submitted. Basically, what they do is buy a blank key and then get it cut from Honda itself (I think)

When I tested the Key, it work fine EXCEPT the remote part of it. So, the Engineer sat in the car, plugged the key in the hole, pressed the buttons on the remote in a particular sequence, and viola, it was coded.

Total cost = about 2800/- ..

Note:
I remember collecting 200 bucks back, so either I gave 3500/- advance and key cost 3300/-, or I paid 3000/- advance and key was for 2800/- .. I'll have to check in case it is important for you - but basically it was around this range only.

Last edited by manveet : 6th August 2009 at 00:41.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2009, 00:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Just a curious question. Is it not better to recode the safety mechanism of the car rather than getting the new key made for the old code? If the key you lost falls in the wrong hand and the person finds out the car (say a thief flicked the keys from you on purpose) then its pretty easy to steal it. But recoding the entire sequence to a different one will negate that chance.
Old 6th August 2009, 01:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Just a curious question. Is it not better to recode the safety mechanism of the car rather than getting the new key made for the old code? If the key you lost falls in the wrong hand and the person finds out the car (say a thief flicked the keys from you on purpose) then its pretty easy to steal it. But recoding the entire sequence to a different one will negate that chance.
Either ways, you'll still need a new key made, and get it cut as per the existing locks. Coding the key is last step that takes about 10 secs.

"Recoding" can also be considered after this, but I wouldn't be knowing the process/pricing for that. But Step 1-3 would still need to be done.

Alternately, one can get all the locks changed, but that would be like over 25,000/-
Old 9th September 2009, 09:46   #12
BHPian

Honda, as usual with its bungling and arrogant attitude, is not sending my new key (with remote) to the dealership, even after more than 20 days of my having completed the formalities and paid Rs.3000/- as advance to the dealership. The dealership is also following it up with Honda, but to no avail.

I THINK HONDA STINKS on customer relations and getting a job done properly and in time.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:38   #13
BANNED

What I cannot understand that if there is an uncoded key (i.e. without the rfid) and if does everything , then the rfid bit becomes somewhat infructuous, since someone can duplicate that key and get going.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:52   #14
BHPian

Is the final cost for a duplicate Rs3000/-?. This what I was told by Prime Honda Hyderabad sales person during delivery,

"Sir, here are 2 keys. one with remote locking and other just a manual key. Please keep the remote key safe, if you loose it only Honda can make a duplicate. It will cost you Rs.6000/- and will atleast take 20-30 working days to get the replacement".
Old 9th September 2009, 20:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the cost of a Civic Remote key is 2000. As one of my friends got one made a few months back

As Manveet said the Accord key is around 3000, I guess the Civic is a bit less.

Although I know quite a few people in Karol Bagh who would do it for you for half the cost - Do not ask me how BUT they will, if you take the car to them and they know you are legally driving it ( it is your car or your family / friends )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks