Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 19:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Fuel always contains some impurities / residue which collect at the bottom of the fuel tank.
, there is a good chance that these impurities might get sucked up by the fuel pump and clog / damage it.

Worst case scenario - they pass through the fuel filter and enter the engine - you don't want that! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
The main corcern is impurities, Debris, or water blocking the filter , orgoing to carb and your car getting stuck in middle of nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
a) This will avoid water and rust in tank being sucked up by the fuel pump.
In view of all the above, I'd like to ask where the fuel is 'normally' sucked from - top of the tank or bottom of tank? The obvious answer is - bottom of tank. In that case, how come impurities, water etc.. get sucked up only when the fuel runs low in the tank? Should happen ALL the time.? No?
Old 15th December 2007, 20:25   #17
BHPian

wow you get 16kmpl in your matiz in b'lore? we never got more than 9-10kmpl!!.

i think it was JC who said 'when you see the low fuel light, pick the furthest gas station you can drive to, once you get there pick another one far away, keep doing that till you get home. that way the next morning when your wife takes the car she will fill fuel '
Old 16th December 2007, 21:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In view of all the above, I'd like to ask where the fuel is 'normally' sucked from - top of the tank or bottom of tank? The obvious answer is - bottom of tank. In that case, how come impurities, water etc.. get sucked up only when the fuel runs low in the tank? Should happen ALL the time.? No?
This is exactly what I thought. Since the 'dumber' title was already taken at the beginning of the thread, I didn't dare to ask!
Old 16th December 2007, 22:00   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
AFAICT, there is room for a few ml fuel below the intake tube / pipe.

As a rule of thumb, I do not allow teh tank to go below 1/4 capacity. That is 10 L for WagonR, which can hold 37 L, according to the owner's manual. So, once the vehicle is fully tanked up, I allow it to run till approx 27 L of fuel is burnt. That is 350 KM for me. That leaves me enough buffer in case of an extraordinarily long delay in filling up.

During the first fill, I had assumed 12 KMPL FE; but find I actually get above 13. But that is not a Matiz.
Old 16th December 2007, 22:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
AFAICT, there is room for a few ml fuel below the intake tube / pipe.
So what exactly are you trying to say?
Or perhaps it is best left unsaid?
Old 16th December 2007, 22:15   #21

The dust particles will be in suspension in the circulating fuel. If we maintain
less fuel in the tank the concentration of dust particles in the circulating fuel will be more leading fuel flow problems.
Old 17th December 2007, 08:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsen View Post
The dust particles will be in suspension in the circulating fuel. If we maintain
less fuel in the tank the concentration of dust particles in the circulating fuel will be more leading fuel flow problems.
Again, said without sufficient consideration, sorry!
If particles are in suspension, they are getting 'consumed' also from the tank. How/Why then will the concentration increase? The 'circulating' fuel passes through filters, remember? As a matter of fact, ALL the fuel stands to get cleaned!

Last edited by anupmathur : 17th December 2007 at 08:53.
Old 17th December 2007, 18:19   #23

Thanks anupmathur for enlightening. Somehow I missed Filter Trap in the circulating system.
Old 18th December 2007, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Low fuel warning light: Does it also exist on the Swift Lxi?

Does the low fuel light also exist on the Swift Lxi (I see a small unlit icon just below the E mark on the fuel indicator, but have never seen it light up as yet). A person at one Maruti dealer said that it would light when there's about 3 litres left in the tank. Another person at another Maruti dealer said that there's no such facility in the Swift Lxi. Anyone has seen the indicator light up on low fuel?
Old 18th December 2007, 22:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Does the low fuel light also exist on the Swift Lxi (I see a small unlit icon just below the E mark on the fuel indicator, but have never seen it light up as yet). A person at one Maruti dealer said that it would light when there's about 3 litres left in the tank. Another person at another Maruti dealer said that there's no such facility in the Swift Lxi. Anyone has seen the indicator light up on low fuel?
There is a icon but it will never light up. There is no low fuel indicator in SWIFT!
Old 15th January 2008, 13:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
There is a icon but it will never light up. There is no low fuel indicator in SWIFT!
Is it possible to get a low fuel warning light installed with not too much extra cost, then?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks