Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 12:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Things they don’t teach you at an Indian driving school

Thank you all for the guidance. I rejoined the class today overlooking the joint pains. Today's session was of 15 kms as yesterday I could not attend. Somewhat 1st and 2nd is working out for me, but the challenge still is with the judgement at the left end. I confidently hope that by the end of the tenure, I shall be able to overcome the space judgement problem. Some suggestions are always highly appreciated. My trainer's instruction regarding this "mein hoon Na, aap Aram se chalao, judgement aagayega."

I enquired with my instructor with regards to the stiff clutch. Seems that as many use the vehicle for learning, the clutch has become stiff. Probably some pin needs to be replaced, which is not happening as apparently it's a waste per them. Temporary solution suggested to me was to drive without shoes. At least I can have a better judgement. Thus today it was better with lesser pain. But yes learning to drive with shoes is definitely desirable.

Tomorrow is the allocated date for LL at the Chikali. Wish it goes out smooth.

Please keep your suggestions/observations flowing so that it helps me (and others who may refer)!
Old 18th September 2016, 15:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: learning to drive, need some advice about proper clutch usage

To get good judgement of the left, do this -

Keep the left ORVM pointed slightly downwards such that you can see the lane markings. Drive close to the pavement or some compound and check how much space is between the car and the lane marking. Next see where this lane making corresponds to in the front view. For example, when I am close to the left lane marking, this marking comes between the two wipers on my front windshield. If I am on the lane marking, the line appears to pass through the front driver side wiper. Thats how you maintain a straight line within a lane. Adjust the position of the car based on where you see the lane markings in the windshield.
Old 18th September 2016, 16:12   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: learning to drive, need some advice about proper clutch usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For example, when I am close to the left lane marking, this marking comes between the two wipers on my front windshield. If I am on the lane marking, the line appears to pass through the front driver side wiper.
This is how my father taught me to judge parking distance from the pavement. I had forgotten it for a long time!
Quote:
Thats how you maintain a straight line within a lane. Adjust the position of the car based on where you see the lane markings in the windshield.
Not so sure about this one. You keep in lane by "aiming" you car, which is based on mid to distant view.

For city driving, the novice can easily see the position of the car in front, and position themselves accordingly.

Whilst steering may seem simple compared to other aspects of car control, to the beginner it is not. Of course, it becomes intuitive, but, at first, I guess... use any trick that works!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks