Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2007, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Shoving water inside an exhaust to clean it?

Hi guys,
I had taken my car for a body wash to the nearby service station. I observed something that was quite shocking. I saw the service centre boys shooting water into the silencer of a scorpio . And then the driver revved up the engine and i could see black water pouring out from the silencer.
Is this a recommended way of cleaning the silencer?
Isnt there any harm caused to the vehicle system by doing thatis?
Regards,
TG.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this too.

We had a Mitsubhishi Pajero 2800 and my driver used to clean the exhaust in the same way. Pour water into the exhaust pipe, then rev the engine and I could see black water flow out. This was repeated 3-4 times.

I asked him why and he said its done because he wants to get the PUC done. And also by doing this - the black smoke from the exhaust also reduces .

The black color is due to the carbon deposits inside the exhaust but anyone tell us if this is the correct thing to do ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 16th December 2007 at 23:04.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Its a common way of "Decarbonizing" the silencer. Nothing to worry here. Unless the water pressure is so high that it goes into engine, such mild spray is not an issue
Old 16th December 2007, 23:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

but what about the water remaining in the mufflers...doesnt that cause it to rust.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank goodness they dont use this method to clean the engine
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2007, 23:20   #6
BHPian

Still isnt it a rather non-conventional and unscientific way to do this? or is it the only way??? It seems rather crude to me..
Old 17th December 2007, 00:02   #7
BHPian

good or not make sure you give that car a good 20 kms run to rid the water and moisture else you might end up with a rusted pot in no time.

also diesel engines need to be given a full redline blast once every 1000 kms to rid all that soot in the pipes. extended slow speed driving builds up carbon fast.
hollywoodhogan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2007, 00:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its an issue as long as it doesnt reach the engine. However another weird thing i see is water being hit at high pressure into the engine bay. .. cleaning? no issues? what if it has a open cone filer?
Old 17th December 2007, 00:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I dont think its an issue as long as it doesnt reach the engine. However another weird thing i see is water being hit at high pressure into the engine bay. .. cleaning? no issues? what if it has a open cone filer?
If it has an open cone, rest assured...Cone gone
Old 17th December 2007, 00:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had a Tata Sumo and a Tata Estate,everytime i serviced at a local petrol pump near my house,i used to make sure he flushes the water jet in the silencer and i used to revv up the engine,but i used to drive around about 7-12kms after the service and had no problem,i have seen a couple tempos,trucks and Tourist Indica doing the same thing,as far as i know i never had any kind of problem by doing that for atleast 4years of the ownership of those diesel cars

cheers..!!
Old 17th December 2007, 00:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

When you give your car for service and see that 200rs charge for Cat-con cleaning, what do you think they do!?
Old 17th December 2007, 00:57   #12
BHPian

Well actually... i never gave it a thought until now
So u reckon its perfectly safe. Point noted.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:05   #13
BHPian

Hi TorqueGuru, you probably noticed a quick & dirty technique to clean silencers. I remember reading one such method for decarbonizing engines. It involved removing your air-filter, & dribbling half-a-teaspoon of water into your engine intake (really) ! The theory was that the water would explode into high-pressure steam during combustion, & dislodge the carbon deposits !
Old 17th December 2007, 13:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi TorqueGuru, you probably noticed a quick & dirty technique to clean silencers. I remember reading one such method for decarbonizing engines. It involved removing your air-filter, & dribbling half-a-teaspoon of water into your engine intake (really) ! The theory was that the water would explode into high-pressure steam during combustion, & dislodge the carbon deposits !

This is an outrageous theory - Should NEVER-EVER be put to practice. Water at high pressures will damage the engine beyond repair. Hence we have a water filter feature built into fuel filters of modern day diesel cars.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:56   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
This theory in a different setup termed as water injection is used to boost power in petrol engines and has the added benefit of decarbonising the engine.

Most Viewed