Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 11:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Agreed. When you increase your blower speed beyond level 2 it affects FE and performance. This was also clarified by a Maruti service advisor for my Esteem. What I was told is that if you set the blower level to 2 the AC cools the front compartment alone housing the driver and the co-passenger seated on the left. Once the required temperature is attained, the AC is cut off and it is just the blower that is working. This reduces the strain on the engine and results in better FE and performance. On the contrary, if the blower level is set beyond 2, it goes ahead cooling the entire car and thereby the AC compressor is on for most of the time. This service advisor also gave me a pamphlet on fuel saving tips and the topic under discussion was one of them.
Firstly, switching on my AC there is "no" power slump in my car, so effecting performance is ruled out.

However, i always use the outside air circulation for first 1 minute to let the hot air out and then switch it to the re-circulation mode for optimum coolness and in addition my knob is set at max cool level.

I guess, the FE slump is too tough to calculate if the blower speed is above 2 but, will try a tankful using that methodology and see if it makes any difference
Old 20th February 2007, 14:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Maruti sent a guide about fuel efficiency after I bought my Alto...It mentioned in one of the points to keep the AC at 2, although you can put at 4 and cool it and then keep at 2 throughout (it also mentioned to keep the recirculation knob mostly)....and I tried it out successfully in one of my long drives...
Also I did feel there is little change in FE as well...
While my drive from Blr - Kol, I used 4 to cool the interiors (say in the fist 10min of starting the car) and then kept at 2 most of the time even in hot afternoons at Vijayawada, balasore etc...Although I drove above 100kmph at 2 most of the time, still the car returned a 18-19kmpl mileage in those stretches....
May be keeping the knob at 2 does use the AC optimally...

Abhi
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:18   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
What you say is true regarding the cold air moving to the second compartment eventually but as far as I know there are'nt very many cars that have AC vents at the back except for the premium cars like Toyota, Lancer etc.
Usually air is blown out from the front in most cars. But as I pointed out in my earlier reply, there ought to be air vents towards the back or at least towards the middle of the car that will route the air back to the suction of the blower, in order to have good circulation. For example, see the Santro's "Air ventilation system" in the following link:

Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Santro

In addition to the air vents at the dash, the figure shows that there are air vents behind the front seats, towards the bottom. I have verified that these vents are present in my old Santro as well. Apparently the purpose of these vents is to improve the air circulation for rear passengers and will presumably return the air to the blower suction.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
In addition to the air vents at the dash, the figure shows that there are air vents behind the front seats, towards the bottom. I have verified that these vents are present in my old Santro as well. Apparently the purpose of these vents is to improve the air circulation for rear passengers and will presumably return the air to the blower suction.
I see what you mean. This is news to me about the rear vents in the Santro. Are there any other cars in the same range you know that sport this feature?
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:21   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I see what you mean. This is news to me about the rear vents in the Santro. Are there any other cars in the same range you know that sport this feature?
I don't think these are classified as rear A.C. vents, because they don't blow air. I am not aware of the situation in other cars in this range. I had always assumed that the recirculating air to the blower suction will be drawn from both the front and back sides of the car in order to have good circulation for all passengers.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:39   #21

Blower speed affects the fuel consumption margianally but not at a higher rate, when you switch on the A/C it takes not less than 5hp to run the compressor and provided electricity to blower fans, and you feel the vehicle slowing down and you increase the throttle which will in turn increases the fuel consumption, so you might find the reduction just around 1KMPL depending on your increase in the throttle.
Esteem_ist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2007, 23:18   #22

Just Blower Speed Does Not Affect Fuel Consumption
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:41   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
For example, see the Santro's "Air ventilation system" in the following link:

Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Santro

In addition to the air vents at the dash, the figure shows that there are air vents behind the front seats, towards the bottom. I have verified that these vents are present in my old Santro as well.
Correction. I have not been able to identify any such vents in my old Santro. They must be present in the Xing, if the indicated figure is accurate.
Old 23rd February 2007, 21:40   #24
BHPian

i dont think the blower speeds affect the FE of a car,but it will surelyu take power from the battery..
Old 1st April 2007, 21:06   #25
BHPian

FE and blower speed does not have any connections.When you switch on AC, the compressor works and the blower just works to circulate the cold air.FE wont increase in lower fan speeds.
Old 17th December 2007, 09:09   #26
BHPian

Will A/C blower speeds affect the Fuel Economy?

I was told by the Hyundai Dealer that once the A/C button in switched on(GETZ), the different blower speeds won't matter with respect to the FE.

Whether the blower is at the lowest speed or highest speed, the mileage will be affected by the same amount. This is the claim of the dealer.

But when I had a chance to go through the Service manual of my car, it advises to reduce the blower speed once the desired cooling has been achieved which will save the fuel.
Is the service manual right or the dealer right?. I am confused.
Experts, please help.
Thanks.
Arun
Old 17th December 2007, 11:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yes when the blower speed is high, AC compressor will be ON for more time and in turn reduce FE.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2007, 11:49   #28
BHPian

Jaggu, so the service manual is right.
That sounds great. I don't like the blower even at speed 3. I am more comfortable in 1 or 2 once the desired cooling is achieved.
Thanks.
Arun
Old 17th December 2007, 12:56   #29
BHPian

Just to help you understand this better,

When the AC is on the compressor puts a certain amount of load on the engine. Which is used not for the vehicular motion but for cooling and hence the mileage the car returns decreases.

What happens when the Blower is set to high is there is more cold air passing through the compressor, which makes it work for a longer time.
And hence the mileage decreases.

Let me add another dimension to this, what if your cars is insulated 100% then you will find that the car gets colder faster and the AC is switched off faster and hence the mileage the car returns will be higher

In reality it depends on when you are using the AC, when the outside temperature is hot and then high blower speed will decrease Mileage.
If the outside temperature is Cold the mileage returned will be higher.

And the blower is battery operated and hence just running the blower with out the AC will not have any effect on the mileage.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 17th December 2007 at 12:58.
kiranpashtakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2007, 19:51   #30
BANNED

Will A/c Blower Speed Affect Fe

Definetly,

Using Blower Speed At Low Initially Will Reduce F E Reason Being Once You Put On Your A.c Blower At Low Speed The Cooling Of The Car Interior Takes Lot Of Time And Hence The Compressor Will Run For A Longer Time Affecting Fe.

Using Blower At High Speed Initially Will Cool The Interiors Faster And Its Wise To Switch To A Lower Speed Later.

Kindly Refer Times Auto Article For Nov 15th 2007.

There's A Complete Writeup On How To Use A.c In Your Car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks