Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Tsk,

Is Tata A.S.S. very expensive? Why have you switched over to a local guy?
I thought Tata service rates must be one of the cheapest in the country.
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:40   #32
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer. 500 Rs is fine, way better than getting stranded somwhere.

Just get a feeling that I am stretching her too much (did a 1100 km trip during the XMas weekend).

OT: I got Castrol Engine Oil (3 Litres plus 1 Litre) and oil filter. The periodical service is due however I want to ensure that during the service this oil goes into the engine and not the normal shell (I have never learnt to identify different oils by colour). To ensure that this oil has gone into it, how do I test it? Take some sample for reference in advance? I am sorry, I don't trust the service centre guys, esp as it is an old M800, service centre people tend to flick away everything, right from fuel, when I leave it with any Mechanic, for that matter (though they love the sight of the vehicle, since it means "here comes an old, problematic vehicle that we can get all parts replaced, whether required or not".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Belt costs around 500rs for the M800. So change it now, otherwise, engine damage or not, worst case you could be stranded at a deserted spot.
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
How frequently do we need to replace the timing belts for petrol cars? I know that the user manual should be having this info, but i don't have the user manual.

Car in reference, OHC 1.5
I dont remember how many KM the OHC manual said ..
but whenver you get the timing belt changed change the water pump also irrespective of how good your pump looks like now.
BTW how many KM has your car done ?
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep
I got Castrol Engine Oil (3 Litres plus 1 Litre) and oil filter. The periodical service is due however I want to ensure that during the service this oil goes into the engine and not the normal shell (I have never learnt to identify different oils by colour). To ensure that this oil has gone into it, how do I test it? Take some sample for reference in advance? I am sorry, I don't trust the service centre guys, esp as it is an old M800, service centre people tend to flick away everything, right from fuel, when I leave it with any Mechanic, for that matter (though they love the sight of the vehicle, since it means "here comes an old, problematic vehicle that we can get all parts replaced, whether required or not".
If U can't supervise a 10 minute oil change,there are some ways to identify it.
1.Oil study: Before sending it to the mech, take the engine oil dipstick out and see the oil condition & colour.Feel it to see if its coarse. And remember the details.

Now, once the oil change is done, since its a petrol car,it'll take quite a few days to change character.So, repeat the "oil study" and U should see & feel the difference.

2.Immediately after an oil change, any engine will feel a lot smoother.Even if U're replacing it with regular mineral oil,the engine will more buttery/creamy after an oil change.

So,there U go.
PS: I highly recommend U change over to a more trustworthy mech even if its gonna cost U a couple hundred more.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Tsk,

Is Tata A.S.S. very expensive? Why have you switched over to a local guy?
I thought Tata service rates must be one of the cheapest in the country.
It was not the service rates, but incompetence, and unnecessary charges and jobs which TASS guys do on your car which got my goose.
I switched over because I thought that giving my car to TASS would result in damage, both mechanical and financial
Old 10th January 2008, 18:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have a crab Zen Di,has almost done 85K,when visited to a near by MASS he told the timing belt cost 4000/- and labour of 800/-.was surprised with the price and also earlier I was planning to sell the vehicle as it has served us well for 5years and purchase an petrol vehicle.

I'm more worried, if we open up the engine there are lot more things to do on .and reluctant to spend so much money on other repairs because I’m goanna sell it soon. Please advice...
Old 16th January 2008, 00:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
snapping of timing belt does not effect petrol cars severally. they just roll to a halt. put in a new timing belt which may cost from 700 to 1500 depending on models and you would be on your way in two hours max. but in diesel cars, all the hell breaks loose. Crdi or non-crdi, a snapped timing belt in diesel cars means bent valves minimum to a totally screwed engine the maximum. i know a diesel ikon with snapped timing belt which resulted in bent valves, bent conrod, bent camshaft etc. and the bill came to nearly 80,000/-. i heard of a similar horror story of a diesel octavia which cost over 2 lakhs to repair. if this is the case with diesels, i see no advantage of buying a diesel car. the money saved on diesel may some day go this way.
A snapped timing belt in my accent(petrol)damaged all the valves.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:15   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A snapped timing belt in my accent(petrol)damaged all the valves.

it's surprising indeed. because they say timing belt snapping doesn't cause peripheral damage in petrol cars like it does in a diesel car.
Old 19th January 2008, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

All petrol engines aren't non-intereference types.
Sometimes, u might get away with it.Mostly, U wont!
Old 26th January 2008, 13:20   #40
BHPian

hello!

most of THEYS are non experts on engines of perticular breed.

when in doubt ask an authority who is an authority in the engine u r talking about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

it's surprising indeed. because they say timing belt snapping doesn't cause peripheral damage in petrol cars like it does in a diesel car.
Old 26th January 2008, 13:26   #41
BHPian

hello!

let me clear it first.. am not an authority on peugot engines!
zen d comes with peugot tud 5 engine
the same engine is /was available with esteem. some .accents and some other applications.such as a/c units for buses
ull get a good quality timing belt made by dyco for a@500 - 700 in market if u care to look arount.
and there are many technicians who can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I have a crab Zen Di,has almost done 85K,when visited to a near by MASS he told the timing belt cost 4000/- and labour of 800/-.was surprised with the price and also earlier I was planning to sell the vehicle as it has served us well for 5years and purchase an petrol vehicle.

I'm more worried, if we open up the engine there are lot more things to do on .and reluctant to spend so much money on other repairs because I’m goanna sell it soon. Please advice...

Last edited by TURBOSAM : 26th January 2008 at 13:28.
Old 26th January 2008, 19:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
1.Oil study: Before sending it to the mech, take the engine oil dipstick out and see the oil condition & colour.Feel it to see if its coarse. And remember the details..
Small note of caution. Used oil is supposed to be carcinogenic, not everybody will go for the feel test.
Old 26th January 2008, 23:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks MP.
Yes, engine oil is harmful.
So, wash ur hands as soon as U feel it.
Old 27th January 2008, 09:45   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
what happens when the timing belt fails when the car is running???

does the vehicle just stall or is there other damage too???
serious damages are caused if a timing belt fails when car is running. thats why its advised in diesel cars to check for the belt regularly.
Old 27th January 2008, 15:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Small note of caution. Used oil is supposed to be carcinogenic, not everybody will go for the feel test.
Are you sure about that? I don’t have anything to do with engine oil because I only work on transmissions, but every second mechanic has their hands soaked in old engine oil and I have never heard that its dangerous.
Here in Australia, anything that is even remotely hazardous is immediately banned, like asbestos brake-pads. And we are warned about all the other potential dangers, and as far as I can remember I haven’t heard about carcinogenic engine oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks