Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 05:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

7 month old Aveo: Cracked windscreen

Folks,

Some urgent advice required: I had driven my Aveo 1.4 approximately 150km with the AC on and then parked my car in the sun for about 1 1/2 hours. On returning I found a diagonal 6 inch crack in the windscreen starting from near the driver-side wiper.

I am very sure it didn't happen on the journey due to stones being thrown up by passing trucks etc. It seems to be a stress fracture caused due to heat (?)

I will be contacting the GM dealer here next week. My question is whether this will be covered by warranty or not.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Old 29th December 2007, 06:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue on my Ikon. The original windshield on my car had a huge scratch for which it was replaced by the dealer. Just a week post this new windshield installation this crack developed near the driver side A-pillar and it extended.

At first they said, no warranty. We pressed on, contacted Ford India, they referred our case to "Windshield Experts" a shop in Kolkata that repairs windshield, for causal analysis. They gave the report that faulty installation had caused the crack. Post that my Windshield was replaced.

So even if the dialogue from them is going to be a firm no. Its better to push on so as to find the actual cause.
Old 29th December 2007, 08:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

OT,
Noticed that Tavera's windscreen is thinner than I had expected (expected it to be thicker like Santro's)
Old 29th December 2007, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the Windscreen is covered under Warranty since it is glass. It can be claimed under insurance though. Do check out the cost and if feasible, go for it yourself. Avoid losing out on no-claims bonus on the insurance.

Please get it done from the Authorized shop only and get it done ASAP. The reason Im saying is, all 6 side glasses in the car have the year of manufacturing (last 2 digits for eg:2007 will be 07) printed on the corner of the glass, just below the name. If you get it done in 2008, there is a high chance that the year will show 08, and may be a cause for questioning when you plan to sell the car..The other glasses would show 07 and only the windscreen will show 08. This may or may not matter, but why take the chance.
Old 29th December 2007, 10:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Windshield Experts - in Madivala and Dickenson Road, should be looked at as the fallback option only. Try initiating a dialog with GM first.
Old 1st January 2008, 20:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

man u have to make it hard to convince them that its not due to any pelting stones....these people try to get out by saying its customers fault....
try catching hold of some windshield expert...
otherwise best way is to do halla in front of 10 customers...in the showroom...he he

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks