Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2005, 12:50   #1

Is this a clutch plate Problem????

Guys I need ur expert advice in this.
I have a zen, and I have been facing this problem quite some time, when ever I accelrate hard, the rpm increases but there is no proportionate increase in the speed!! And when I suddenly leave the accelrator, the speed increases.
Ive asked a few mechanics about this problem and im not satisfied with their solutions. This problem does not occur always it happens occationally.

Please tell me what should I do?
Old 6th January 2005, 13:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmm...wierd.

If it was a simple case of the clutch having worn off, this problem (of the revvs rising but no increase in speed) should happen at all times.

But, as you said it happens occasionally, well, it could be either:
1. Sticking clutch pedal: Maybe something in the footwell is preventing the clutch pedal from releasing all the way sometimes.

2. I believe the Zen has a mechanical clutch (as opposed to a hydraulic one) so maybe the cable is getting snagged at times on something near the transmission?

3. Check the adjustment. When does your clutch engage/disengage? is it right at the end of the pedal travel, or maybe it is partially disengaged at all times if the adjustment is not right.

4. Finally, if all these checks come out clean, then it may just be that this is the initial stage of your clutch wearing out, and will only get worse from here on.

How many Km's have you put on your car?

Keep us informed.

Rt
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2005, 15:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it's also possible that the clutch is slipping when the accelelrator is pressed hard. And then stop slipping when the the pressure is reduced a bit.

The same as tyres, harder you go on the gas, the more the chances of them slipping. Or maybe a prob with the driving belt.

Shan2nu
Old 6th January 2005, 15:44   #4
BHPian

yea...i'm with shan2nu... it mostly is slipping...check the free play on the clutch...shud'nt be more than 2-3 mm...
let us know..
Old 7th January 2005, 14:09   #5

Well guys thanx a lot !
I feel it should be due to sticking clutch pedal or a free play in the clutch . I dont think that the clutch plate has worn out as my car has done only 32,000 kms .

Also when i dont press the throtle very hard the car is very smooth! Ive heard that, if the clutch is worn off the temp. increases and the car consumes a lot of fuel., pls correct me in this , coz my car does not show any of these symptoms!
Old 9th January 2005, 03:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig
Ive heard that, if the clutch is worn off the temp. increases and the car consumes a lot of fuel., pls correct me in this , coz my car does not show any of these symptoms!

Hey Stig,

If the clutch was constantly slipping the temperature would increase (due to the friction between the slipping plates).
As well as the car would consume more fuel, as a lot of energy would be wasted due to the slipping plates.

However, you yourself said that this problem happens occasionally, and therefore you wouldnt really notice an increase in temp or petrol consumption.

As Rtech said, check the clutch cable..it might be sticking. I think thats the #1 possibility if this problem occurs erratically.

cya
R
Old 11th January 2005, 18:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
If the clutch play is correct, dissassemble the box and inspect the clutch assy. Inspect the flywheel surface. Better replace the total assy as its pretty cheap. Else if the clutch plate thickness is according to specs replace the cover assy.

Cheers
Dom
Old 11th January 2005, 19:08   #8
BHPian

Replace with the korean clutch. Need to run in for 1000kms to be safe but is useful. what say dom?
Old 12th January 2005, 01:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yes,
True Z Classe, Clutch's need a good run in, before they are stressed. The clutch plate etc has to set in properly, else if you drag launch before the setting in, the clutch will slip.

Cheers
Dom
Old 29th February 2012, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Re: Is this a clutch plate Problem????

Hello All,

Found this to be a relative thread for a problem i am facing.
Past few days was having a similar problem with my i10 kappa magna. Done 38k on the car, started facing this issue of the car revving but no acceleration happening.
Finally yesterday the whole thing went for a toss when the clutch just stopped functioning.
I engaged in first gear but the car wont budge a cm with my foot completely off the clutch neither would it shut down. Finally had to tow my car all the way from Bandra to Goregaon. It was completely my fault to behave ignorant when this problem started cropping up. Moreover when the service center guy at Modi told me about it and said it will charge me 10 to 12 k to replace the clutch plates i found it purely fishy.
Now shall be taking the car to a local trusted garage tomorrow and after researching a few recommended garages i understand he is giving me appropriate pricing.
Clutch Plates: 2500 Rs
Other Material: 700 Rs
Gear Oil: 430 (this is not necessary but can be done)
No discussion over labor charges. Does this sound genuine or i can still hope the clutch plates have not got all burnt and worn out.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
Hello All,
Moreover when the service center guy at Modi told me about it and said it will charge me 10 to 12 k to replace the clutch plates i found it purely fishy.
Now shall be taking the car to a local trusted garage tomorrow and after researching a few recommended garages i understand he is giving me appropriate pricing.
Clutch Plates: 2500 Rs
Other Material: 700 Rs
Gear Oil: 430 (this is not necessary but can be done)
No discussion over labor charges. Does this sound genuine or i can still hope the clutch plates have not got all burnt and worn out.
the quote that Hyundai gave you might include changing the flywheel as well?
the quote that the local garage has given you sounds genuine, add approx. 1000-1200 rupee as labor to it.
(few months ago, i paid 4200 for parts (bought by myself) and 1500 as labor for the clutch job on my OHC Vtec).
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:18   #12
BHPian

I doubt the flywheel would have any problem at such low mileage.

When I replaced the clutch and pressure plate with gear oil at TASS for my Indica, it was Rs.6500/- including labour.

With the trusted garage outside that you are trying to get it done with, suggest you get the parts yourself once its identified what needs to be changed.

Drive safe and dont ride the clutch
the-rare-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 13:35   #13
BHPian

Thanks guys its kinda relieiving to learn i aint over paying.
Just wanted to understand a tech detail here, what do they mean when they say " gear down karke clutch ka kaam karna padega"
Have given the car to a recommended mech in Borivili.
Any one has come across Sajid bhai Auto Works in Borivil west.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:30   #14
BHPian

The clutch assembly sits between the engine and the gear box, hence to get access and replace to the clutch assembly, one has to move the gear box away from the clutch. Hence the term "gear down........
Irwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
the quote that Hyundai gave you might include changing the flywheel as well?
the quote that the local garage has given you sounds genuine, add approx. 1000-1200 rupee as labor to it.
(few months ago, i paid 4200 for parts (bought by myself) and 1500 as labor for the clutch job on my OHC Vtec).

Hey Infotech,

Im planning to get the clutch plates changed of my ohc from bhavani coming week.

Apart from the clutch/pressure plates what are the other parts i need to buy since i will buy them myself. What cost and brand should i look at also from where did you buy them.

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks