Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 11:57   #1
Thomas T

Indica tie rod and related query

hi friends..

i gave my indica (petrol) for service today and they said that the front crossbar(or crosslink.. he himself was not sure what it was meant for...) was bent and i had to replace it along with the ball joints. or else i will have alignment problems.

what i want to know is
1. what is this crossbar. is it the tie rod or anti roll bar
2. if i have to replace them is there any other alternative products?
3. is it the same as strut braces.
4. if i want it to be replaced should i ask TASC to do it or take it somewhere else. if take it outside, is there anyone it Trivandrum to do that kind of job. please help.

Old 7th January 2008, 12:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

A pothole hit can cause bent tie roads, and ths job requires new ball joints too.
The best way is to take your car for alignment. They will tell you precisely what needs to be changed and will not ask you to change unnecessary parts(since they don't have any monitory interest in the job.
If you go to TASC, they recommend changing the defective part, and any other part which they think should be replaced, and they do not do any thorough inspection too.
Any decent shocker/suspension repair shop should be able to do this for you as its a fairly simple job, and does not require much expertise too in the indica.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:23   #3
Thomas T

but they say that the alignment has not changed. but good only knows if they have checked the alignment.

Old 7th January 2008, 12:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Don't go to TASC for alignment, go to a tyre shop who has computerized alignment setup and is reputed
Old 7th January 2008, 15:05   #5
BHPian

The tierod is the first in the internal part defense line and hence is the one that takes impact. I have changed it about ones in 3 years and costs somewhere about 200/-. As advised by other, please dont go to TASC for alignment, go to some tyre shop and they willl give u the right advice.

HTH.
~LT
Old 8th January 2008, 23:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

The "crossbar" in question is the centre-link, meant for stabilising steering/suspension geometry at both ends. It doesn't hurt the alignment or suspension; it would just create a "thud" when the car goes over bumps while cornering (or when the steering is off the centreline).

It is repairable. No need for replacement. And no, it is not the same as strut braces.

Ball joint replacement is again, to be done only if necessary.

Ask if it is repairable at TASC; if they can, great. Else, look elsewhere for a capable mechanic.
Old 9th January 2008, 00:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Got the Tie road and the Ball joint changed. The tie rod had got bent due to stone hit.
While ball joint change is a simple matter, changing tie rod in indica means removing the entire power steering assembly.
The job too 5 hours and 300rs in labor.
Part charges
670 for tie roads and Ball joint(pair)
350 for Power steering fluid pipe as it was damaged
170 for 1 liter power steering fluid
150rs for alignment at tire shop!

If its just ball joint change then its a 5 minutes job, tie road is major work!
Will post pics soon on this thread.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:42   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is not about Indica, but about swift.

A mechanic did a test drive of my Swift & said that when on very bad (terrible) roads, he can hear some sound from the steering. He said that there may be some play in the tierod & asked me to get it checked during the next service.

I was wondering if can wait for 3 months (next service) or should I get it checked immediatelly. Can it end up damaging something else if I wait for 3 months?
Old 15th November 2010, 12:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

If its a small sound, ignore it. Swift anyway makes sound thanks to the metal damper MUL uses in the steering system. It can be that also.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:48   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If its a small sound, ignore it. Swift anyway makes sound thanks to the metal damper MUL uses in the steering system. It can be that also.
Well, I couldn't hear anything - but then I am not a good judge of these things at all. But the mechanic was a trustworthy guy, so I am assuming there is a sound.

There is also sound near by back left door which is rather pronounced, but I had never noticed it. This he said was either from the door or from the parcel tray.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

my TASC was quite the reverse case. had an underbody hit, and they insisted on just fixing the tie rod. the car had a noticeable vibration at 30~40kmph, which was traced down to the 'repaired' tie rod which was eventually replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks