Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2005, 15:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Different types of Clutches ...?

I guess there have been a lot many discussions on the clutch and how it works and how to make it work.

But whats a performance clutch? How is it different from a race clutch? How are both of these different from a normal clutch?

My car has done 90+K kms, running on the same factory fitted clutch. Is it time for me to change the clutch? I am told the average life of clutch plate is 60K kms. How can i find out whether i need to get the clutch plate changed?

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 11th January 2005, 08:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

amitoj ,
wat the heck r u talking.
that ur using the same clutch for 90k kms.
maruti shud give u an award for good driving.

regarding the diff types of clutches we both r in the same boat.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Clutch, well the different types of clutch (stock,pro-stock,street-race,performance,turbo,triple-plate) etc etc do serve the same purpose. To push all the power from the flywheel to the wheels, without slippage.
When we add more power to the engines, stock clutch assys cant take the load and tend to slip and loose part of the power, This is why we use perofrmance clutch's.
The difference between the stock and performance ones are the Cover Assemblies. The stock one can only clamp the clutch and flywheel with a certian amount of pressure. Performance ones have higher clamping force which clamp the clutch disc and flywheel better. So there is less slippage and total power is delivered to the box.
Now, Clutch discs, Stock clutch discs are usually made of Asbestos based compunds, though they have started using fibres now due to EPA regulations. Performance clutch plates use many types of compounds from fibres to CF. The best clutch assy's now in making are the Billet Carbon clutch's, They consist of 4 plates, one loading and cover assembly. These plates are similar to the ones used in F1. These plates cost around 1.5lakhs. These plates have a 650+ Torque Cap.

Cheers
Dom
Old 11th January 2005, 11:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

cool
now why didnt anyone tell me about this before ???
i just got my palios clutch replaced yesterday
how much are performance clutched for anyways
Old 11th January 2005, 11:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lambo,

For regular driving, stock clutches are the best bet. I have driven Toyotas with performance clutches and they can be very harsh and snappy in power delivery (a pain in bumper to bumper traffic).

They are best left for usage in competitions.

GTO
Old 11th January 2005, 12:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hmm just wonder, will a Civic Type R's clutch fit on a Vtec? Now the Civic is a powerful car producing around 197bhp. Surely that clutch has to be 10 times better than the one on the Vtec. So, instead of buying a performance clutch, if i can fit that cluth onto my car, wont it be better (considering that my car hasn't got any power upgrade)?

Shan2nu
Old 11th January 2005, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

True, performance clutch's are very difficult to drive in our indian conditions.
Shan it is possible, infact let me know if you are coming to bangalore or bombay, i have a honda surprise for you.

Cheers
Dom
Old 11th January 2005, 19:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domnic
True, performance clutch's are very difficult to drive in our indian conditions.
Shan it is possible, infact let me know if you are coming to bangalore or bombay, i have a honda surprise for you.

Cheers
Dom
You got a Centerforce clutch?
Old 11th January 2005, 21:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

wat clutch will fit the zen,and how much wud it cost
Old 12th January 2005, 01:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got a Centerforce clutch?
The surprise you mean??... no no, its more than a clutch.... will let all you guys know shortly. And yes i used to use centerforce clutch's now only exedy on all my cars.

Quote:
wat clutch will fit the zen,and how much wud it cost
Exedy performance or turbo clutches are made for your car. They range from 8k to 15k. Else for a zen, pick up the esteem flywheel, and load an esteem clutch assy, should be more than enough for a stock zen, as the esteem clutch is larger and more area to grip. Pick up the Valeo genuine imported or the SGP imported ones which are pretty good.

Cheers
Dom
Old 12th January 2005, 08:23   #11
BHPian

No no no dom. I wasnt saying about the surprise. I was just asking if you were using that clutch cause it makes alot of difference. Expensive stuff but worth it as u can use it for 40k kms without any hassles.
Old 12th January 2005, 09:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Oh ok, well i dont use centreforce, though they are good for the price. I prefer the exedy's. They are a bit more expensive but work far better than the centerforces

Cheers
Dom
Old 7th April 2010, 13:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Are there any clutches apart from hydraulic clutches? The hydraulic clutch is the most common type we hear of ? I'm talking of passenger vehicles here, not sports.

Just wanted to know about the different types of clutches used in vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks