Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 11:51   #1
BHPian

Ignition, Spark plugs and Plug Wires - Questions?

A friend of mine has very kindly agreed to bring some performance stuff from the US. So, I am planning to get an ignition coil, Spark plus and Plug wires for my MPFi Esteem(has Distributor) details of which are below:

1) MSD Ignition Coil: The Part No is MSD-8207. Link is: [COLOR=#800080]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8207&view=1&N=700+429492 5143[/COLOR]

2) Accel Spark Plug Wires: The Part No is ACC-4048. Link is [COLOR=#800080]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ACC%2D4048&view=1&N=700+429492 5143+4294756594[/COLOR]

3) Spark Plugs: Not sure which one.

While I am sure that the Ignition Coil will match the Esteem, I am not too sure about the Plug Wires and Spark Plugs.

My Questions:
a) What is the recommended diameter for Esteem? I am not sure if I should buy 8MM, 8.5 MM etc. Also, will I need to change the plug boots to the stock ones as the ones in the picture seem short?
b) I want to buy Iridium or Platinum wires but don't know how to choose spark plugs? I don't know what the specs should be for an Esteem. I am
Old 18th January 2008, 12:17   #2
BHPian

Oops, somehow my thread got posted before I completed.

Well, here is the remaining part

b) I want to buy Iridium or Platinum wires but don't know how to choose spark plugs? I don't know what the specs should be for an Esteem. I am not sure of how many mm thread, resistor/non-resistor, heat range etc.

Please help with my queries.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:23   #3
BANNED

Hi,

The coil is fine. Would recommend you buy the MSD 8.5mm wires alongwith the MSD 6A or 6AL for best results. You could also go in for MSD timing controller PN 8680.

Viper
Old 18th January 2008, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
The coil is fine. Would recommend you buy the MSD 8.5mm wires alongwith the MSD 6A or 6AL for best results. You could also go in for MSD timing controller PN 8680.

Viper
Thanks for answering my queries Viper.

Most of the Plug wires I found on summitracing are 8MM, very rarely 8.8 MM. After reading the description, I found that they suit cars much larger than the Esteem in Cc. So I would like to understand why 8.5MM is recommended over 8MM. If 8MM is good for street use, I'll buy a set of 8MM which has straight plug boots rather than the right-angled ones.

Also, how do I choose the right Iridium/Platinum Spark plug(s) for my Esteem?
Old 18th January 2008, 16:36   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Thanks for answering my queries Viper.

Most of the Plug wires I found on summitracing are 8MM, very rarely 8.8 MM. After reading the description, I found that they suit cars much larger than the Esteem in Cc. So I would like to understand why 8.5MM is recommended over 8MM. If 8MM is good for street use, I'll buy a set of 8MM which has straight plug boots rather than the right-angled ones.

Also, how do I choose the right Iridium/Platinum Spark plug(s) for my Esteem?
Hi,

The reason I said 8.5mm was the MSD wires are more superior to the Accel and is more suited if you plan to go in for the 6AL Ignition unit.

8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire.
You have to specify that it is for a MPFI car and you will get the straight plug boots.

Choose a plug with heat range 6 which is perfect for a mildly modded to stock car. Normal heat range is 5.

Viper
Old 18th January 2008, 17:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hope your friend realises that performance plugs / wires offer a next-to-zero benefit on a mariginally modified car. Have a look at this article for further information.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:17   #7
BHPian

No GTO, he is bringing these for my Esteem.

Nice summary there GTO. I read it again today and found it very informative.

Actually, I am now thinking I'll get only the Ignition coil and the spark plugs. What do you guys think about the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion series? A friend of mine just got these for his modded 1.6 Swift and is pretty impressed. So, I might get the same too. Has anyone on the forum used these spark plugs yet?
Old 14th September 2012, 12:18   #8
BHPian

Re: Ignition, Spark plugs and Plug Wires - Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Actually, I am now thinking I'll get only the Ignition coil and the spark plugs. What do you guys think about the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion series? A friend of mine just got these for his modded 1.6 Swift and is pretty impressed. So, I might get the same too. Has anyone on the forum used these spark plugs yet?
Santhosh, re- opening this topic after a long time as i was interested in upgrading the ignition coil and plug wires on my moderately modified esteem.

Did you procure the items for your car? IF yes hows the difference now?

I have been using Bosch Fusion plugs from a year or some and the low end drivability has increased marginally.

Do let me know as i am interested in the same products you may have bought in 2008
Old 10th December 2017, 14:45   #9
BHPian

Re: Ignition, Spark plugs and Plug Wires - Questions?

Even I am quite keen to understand the difference that you felt on your esteem since I am planning something similar on my VTec

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks