Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon - Issues - Need Help

Hi,

Its been quite some time that I wanted to share this issue, but not sure why I did not do it.

I will make the long story in short.

My Ford Ikon 1.3 is 7 yrs old but hardly driven in the first 2-3 years, due to work commitments and travel assignments which ensured that I do not use the car. So, till date it has clocked only 22K Odd KMS .

Due to my experiences in the past with both the service stations in Bangalore, I don't go to them, unless its necessary.

The vehicle is all in its stock condition and no mods done yet.

Now to the Problems:

1) In the last couple of months, I am observing that I hear keech, keech noice when I start the car which goes of in no time.

2) After the vehicle run for few KMS, when I down shift to slow down and try to up-shift I feel the jerks in the movement of car and very rarely (1 in 1000 times) the car comes to complete stop, in this case I need to restart the car again.

3) After the vehicle run for few KMS, if I turn off the engine and turn it on, I hear a raise in the engine noice and the while I try to move the car in 1st gear either it jerks / comes to complete stop, in this case I need to restart the car again. however, this is avoided if I keep the clutch pressed half way.

4) This one I think is real killer: after running for few KMS say 5 - 10, If I down shift and come to a complete halt (say while waiting for signal) I feel the car shuddering and noice of engine also is bit high, but if I shift to a gear then it goes off . In the last few days, I waited for 30 to 40 seconds in the car after reaching home just to see if this comes down on its own, but no, if I wait for quite some time, say 3 to 5 minutes then the engine noice level and shuddering goes off.

Please, please, let me know what is the problem, what are the possible problems and what solutions I can opt.

I really don't want to see this CAR, as I am attached to it sentimentally (as its my first car), at the same time, I can't spend to much to rectify these problems.

P:S: MODS, if this is not the right thread to post this query, please move to appropriate section.

Last edited by reachmash : 30th January 2008 at 16:13. Reason: Typos
Old 30th January 2008, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think your problem is what is experienced by most of the Ford owners including me. I'am also experiencing the same problems but i'am leaving with it. But I personally feel that these can be fixed. I will personally follow this thread as it will also do good to my car.
Old 30th January 2008, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Well add one more to the list of the observers . Now waiting for someone who can actually answer the queries. I too have felt these kind of problems when i downshift but till this point I never bothered to do much. For records I drive 1.3 Flair
Old 30th January 2008, 17:12   #4
BHPian

Hi Reachmash,

I am sorry to about your Ikon troubles, I owna 2006 Flair and same is the case with me on usage levels( considering my travel'son work).

But , I have not encountered any such experinces till date.

No matter the ferquency of car usgage esnure you viist service center atleast once in 6 months just to re check.

It sure worth that money at service than this situation...

Many at times, fuel in tank may just form layers lying long, oil looses viscocity , rust to engine or barke parts can crop up.

hence a service would ensure these are delayed or countered...

In any case drive most to get the best... I drive the most when back to India..

Cheers!!!
Old 30th January 2008, 17:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Reachmash, I think you need to get the car serviced. As pointed out by VC12, the fuel supply seems to be a problem due to non usage of the car for extended periods of time. Would suggest cleaning of the fuel tank, and fuel lines, and filter. Also cleaning of the injector nozzles should help.

Am sure the service center guys should be able to fix it and bring your car back to perfect condition. If you are unhappy with one particular service center, go visit another one whom you trust.

Wish you all the best. Please let us know the outcome post servicing.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:19   #6
BHPian

All,

The car is running regularly around 500-800 KMS every month from last 1.8 years and even earlier it used to once in 6 months service to service stations (in the past as well as now). However, after having some bad experience I don't go them any more.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
All,

The car is running regularly around 500-800 KMS every month from last 1.8 years and even earlier it used to once in 6 months service to service stations (in the past as well as now). However, after having some bad experience I don't go them any more.
The your bad experiences seem to be covered in a "cloud of mystery". Would you like to throw some light on them ?
Old 30th January 2008, 20:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
All,
However, after having some bad experience I don't go them any more.
Could you explain more. Is it the authrorised service stations? If yes, pls share the experience you had in a separate thread in Indian Car Dealerships. It may be helpful for others.
Old 30th January 2008, 20:10   #9
BHPian

I have faced this engine jerking problem once. I took it to the service station and they rectified it. Looks like it was an issue with fuel filter.
Old 30th January 2008, 23:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be two things going round.

The Clutch needs to be bled (bleeding) and a throttle body cleaning (3M) is recommended. After runnng the car for a few kms after the TB cleaning you may experience erratic rpms, for which you have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after say 10 mins (this is suggested to be done after driving a few kms after TB cleaning, to expel out the cleaner off the engine before the ecm is reset).

Someone suggested cleaning the fuel lines/tank/injectors. This is also highly recommended, as your car had some long periods of non usage. Even if you had been using it lately, the resistances wouldn't completely go.

On the clutch part, a simple bleeding may cure your problem, but if the car has been sidding idle for longtime, depending on the conditions it was stored, the clutch pressure plate may need replacement.

Last edited by 1100D : 30th January 2008 at 23:24.
Old 31st January 2008, 00:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Let me just tell you one thing. Take her for a spin on a long trip. maybe a 60-80km trip on the highway. Rip her off. YES. take her to the limits. And let us know if things have changed. Probably you would be able to automatically clean the throttle body and the injectors in the process. Since you say you have done just around 20K km. I think she is still young and thursty.

PS. Do drive safely. And take care.
Old 31st January 2008, 11:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

My Flair has done 15k+ kms as of now, and thankfully no issues of this sort.
I would go by what 1100D has suggested, as these seem to be the likely culprits.

Also IMO the car hardly runs much, and its been 7 long years now. I feel this may also be a contributing factor to the same. I would suggest you get the car serviced just this one more time, and ask for Throttle body cleaning to be carried out. I believe the issue would be sorted out.
Old 31st January 2008, 12:38   #13
BHPian

[quote=1100D;706252]There seems to be two things going round.

The Clutch needs to be bled (bleeding) and a throttle body cleaning (3M) is recommended. After runnng the car for a few kms after the TB cleaning you may experience erratic rpms, for which you have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after say 10 mins (this is suggested to be done after driving a few kms after TB cleaning, to expel out the cleaner off the engine before the ecm is reset).

Thanks for the inputs 1100D, shall definitely keep this in mind while giving for service and ask them to take a look. As my model of Ford does not come with RPM meter, how do I realize the erratic behavior?
Old 31st January 2008, 21:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=reachmash;706697Thanks for the inputs 1100D, shall definitely keep this in mind while giving for service and ask them to take a look. As my model of Ford does not come with RPM meter, how do I realize the erratic behavior?[/quote]

Simple, observe the engine sound. After you have gotten the car warm enough. When the car idles, observe the sound, you will get to know if the engine is hunting up and down the rev band.
Old 31st January 2008, 22:47   #15
Team-BHP Support

do what 1100D suggested and please get your car serviced and tuned at the dealer once, even if they will rip you off some moolah. Private garages are not that good in handling these cars.

Your is ol pushrod 1.3 lit engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks