Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Maruti Esteem Check Engine Light Blinking

Hi People,

My Maruti Esteem 2002 has clocked about 25,000 kms. Since yesterday, the Check Engine Light has been constantly been blinking and indicating code 12 (Blink ones and stops for while and the blinks twice again before repeating the cycle). As per the manual the code 12 indicates Normal engine functioning. But what makes me wonder if the engine is normal then, why this check engine light is coming on. I have not noticed any drop in performace or F.E of the car.

few days back i had a problem with the central locking (fitted from outside), that its fuse was blown up. I gave it my to my mechanic and it was rectified there and then.

Any suggestion please.

Many thanks

Amit
Old 10th February 2008, 21:01   #2
BHPian

Why don't you take it to the service station and get it checked before you could land up into bigger problems.Since the manual indicates the engine is functioning normally,may be it's just an electrical failure since one of the fuse blew up.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:17   #3
BHPian

Check Engine Light (m.i.l)

HI, the light which is blinking is called malfunction indication lamp.In your vehicle the fuse box located near the accelerator peddal under the dash has a slot which is marked as (DIAG) On the cover of the fuse box . by mistake your technician has inserted a fuse in this slot. Fuse in this slot is inserted by workshops on temporary basis to identify the fault codes stored in the memory of the ECU.Just identify and remove this fuse your probelem will be solved. After you have completed start the car and confirm that the M.I.L blinking has stopped. and to end it all please disconnect your batt. negative (-) terminal for about 45 seconds and reconnect. Mind u guys the same provision is there in Gypsy MPFI. allso.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi People,

My Maruti Esteem 2002 has clocked about 25,000 kms. Since yesterday, the Check Engine Light has been constantly been blinking and indicating code 12 (Blink ones and stops for while and the blinks twice again before repeating the cycle). As per the manual the code 12 indicates Normal engine functioning. But what makes me wonder if the engine is normal then, why this check engine light is coming on. I have not noticed any drop in performace or F.E of the car.

few days back i had a problem with the central locking (fitted from outside), that its fuse was blown up. I gave it my to my mechanic and it was rectified there and then.

Any suggestion please.

Many thanks

Amit
alankarmotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2008, 22:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

if the light is blinking then surely there is some issue with some of the sensors malfunctioning.immediately go to the service centre and they will plug in the tech2 in ur ecu and fix the problem
Old 11th February 2008, 09:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
if the light is blinking then surely there is some issue with some of the sensors malfunctioning.immediately go to the service centre and they will plug in the tech2 in ur ecu and fix the problem

Hi,

The blinking light is displaying code no 12. This code as per Esteem manual indicates that the engine is normal.

But in any case in day or two i will take it to MASS and will keep you guys updated.

Many Thnaks

Amit
Old 11th February 2008, 09:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarmotor View Post
HI, the light which is blinking is called malfunction indication lamp.In your vehicle the fuse box located near the accelerator peddal under the dash has a slot which is marked as (DIAG) On the cover of the fuse box . by mistake your technician has inserted a fuse in this slot. Fuse in this slot is inserted by workshops on temporary basis to identify the fault codes stored in the memory of the ECU.Just identify and remove this fuse your probelem will be solved. After you have completed start the car and confirm that the M.I.L blinking has stopped. and to end it all please disconnect your batt. negative (-) terminal for about 45 seconds and reconnect. Mind u guys the same provision is there in Gypsy MPFI. allso.
Hi

Thanks, will surely try this today and will come back to you.

Cheers

Amit
Old 11th February 2008, 18:37   #7
BHPian

Problem Solved

Quote:
Hey Bro,

Your advised really worked. THANKS A TON!! for your suggestiion. Your kind advice not only saved my money but hassel i would encountred if i would have gone to MASS.

Cheers

Amit
Old 11th February 2008, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

great troubleshooting man. salute you. u have indeed helped amit.
Old 20th June 2008, 20:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Check engine light is on in my relatives 2005 Maruti 800. While driving I did not find any issues other than high rev when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Took it to a workshop and found that issue was with Code 13. An issue with wiring kit leads to TBC has been identified and fixed. Even then the light was on and was told that TBC needs to be replaced.

How much it will cost?

What if the light does not go even after replacing the TBC?
Old 29th June 2011, 12:04   #10
BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Check Engine Light Blinking

Bumping up a really Old thread, but I could not find another one.

I have a 2005 model Esteem Vxi and it shows me the Yellow Engine Check lamp. I had shown it to a couple of MASSs and they all found no issue with the engine or any other component.

Now I know, what causes the lamp to come on, but dont know Why. The lamp comes on when I am using the Power Windows. The front windows stick a little and when I try to pull up the front passenger side, and it starts to struggle a little, then the lamp comes on.

I would be showing this at my next Service visit, however, in the mean time, wanted to know more about this from some who has faced a similar situation. It sure looks like an Electrical issue somewhere, but any more information on this would be very helpful.

MaSh
Old 12th November 2012, 16:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Esteem Check Engine Light Blinking

Thanks very much to this thread. I sorted out a similar issue with my Gypsy over the weekend. My Gypsy would crank but not start. The lights in the instrument panel wont light up. So i called a local mechanic, he said there was loose contact in the key / ignition area and started the car but while checking for the fuses, he had put in a fuse into the DIAG slot and the CEL was showing code 12. But he wasnt aware how to make the blinking go away.

Read this thread and removed the fuse from that slot and the CEL stopped blinking.

Thanks so much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks