Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2008, 16:38   #1
BHPian

Getz problem - Revving on its own ?

Guys,
Strange experience yesterday.
Was driving my Getz (1.3), stopped to buy some medicines. Started the engine again and it was revving on its own from 1500 Rpm to 2500 Rpm. First thought may be accelerator was stuck or ?? But it was fine. Shut down the engine and started again but same result. Tried opening the bonnet but did not open, heard some strange noise from bonnet. I was close to my place so finally parked the car and took my Zen. I again tried after couple of hours but car still behaved the same.

Any idea what could be the problem ? It was running fine the whole day the suddenly this after a brief stop ?

Tarun.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Was it a cold start by any chance. Usually, high revvs will happen when the car is started after keeping idle for some time.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Nope the car already had run for about 10 kms that day.
Besides, i generally wait for about a minute for first start of the day before moving.

Tarun.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:52   #4
BHPian

My earlier car (Santro) got this problem once. My bro got it serviced and the car was fine afterwards. AFAIK, the problem was with the throttle play. Sorry, don't have more details since I was out of town for many months at that time and also it was quite a few years back.

If high rev is present all the time, I would suggest the obvious - getting it checked with the service station. If it's a one-off event, perhaps you can wait till next service to bring it up.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

My getz when i cold start in the morning it revv's to 1200+ RPM and the comes down automatically to somewhere 800-900rpm.. i think its pretty normal as my Ikon and the city also used to do the same
Old 12th February 2008, 02:54   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

get the getz's throttle body cleaned...
Old 12th February 2008, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

My 2 wheeler if started with the choke, the rpm raises from 1000 to 3500. Since modern cars run on FI, there could be a similar thing which can not be turned of yourself. take it to the workshop.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My Vtec had the same problem. Cleaning the throttle body and air-filter solved the problem.
Old 12th February 2008, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
My getz when i cold start in the morning it revv's to 1200+ RPM and the comes down automatically to somewhere 800-900rpm.. i think its pretty normal as my Ikon and the city also used to do the same
Yes. Thats exactly the behaviour of Getz on cold start.

I always do not wait until the rpm comes to 800 rpm. It takes around 5-7 minutes.Usually, I wait for 2 minutes and drive the car on 2nd gear without throttle for sometime. This way the rpm comes down fast without much strain on the engine.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 12th February 2008 at 11:01.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:14   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
Tried opening the bonnet but did not open, heard some strange noise from bonnet.Any idea what could be the problem ? It was running fine the whole day the suddenly this after a brief stop ?

Tarun.
Hi,

Did you manage to get the bonnet open. From what you describe it is likely that there is something fouling with the accelerator cable. What did you see find when you opened the bonnet. A dirty throttle will not make any noises as you described or cause your bonnet not to open.

Viper
Old 12th February 2008, 11:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Vtec had the same problem. Cleaning the throttle body and air-filter solved the problem.
Tarun, this is the remedy you should be looking at. Get the throttle body cleaned.
Old 12th February 2008, 19:17   #12
BHPian

Thanks Guys !

Will ask for throttle body and air filter clean up.
Though on second thoughts, the car had barely clocked 2000 kms(1.5 months) since it was last serviced. Besides, it was my first such experience in 3.5 years of ownership.

I think it is safe to take the car to service station or shall call breakdown services?

Viper : The bonnet is slightly dented in front but still gets open. However, this time it didn’t. I could not even hear the unlocking sound which usually is heard once the lever is pulled from the dash. But if the accelerator cable is stuck, the car should stuck at one rpm, however it is revving on its own as if its getting ready for a drag.

Tarun.
Old 12th February 2008, 20:23   #13
BHPian

even wrote about the same problem. My getz too is just 1 month old and sometimes after starting to move the car in first gear when i apply brakes to stop the car, the car stops and at the same time the RPM meter shoots to 2-2.5 automatically even tho ugh i do not even touch the pedal. this doesnt happen all the time but happens very often. May be it will get resolved after the first servicing. Is this a common behaviour of new cars??

Note from Support Team - Please take time to type your posts in proper English. Sms language is not allowed. Read the rules thoroughly before posting.

This time I have edited your post for better readability.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th February 2008 at 20:46. Reason: Corrected sms language
Old 12th February 2008, 21:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
Viper : The bonnet is slightly dented in front but still gets open. However, this time it didn’t. I could not even hear the unlocking sound which usually is heard once the lever is pulled from the dash.
use a long screw driver with a (-) tip manually slide the bonnet lock.
Old 12th February 2008, 23:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
My earlier car (Santro) got this problem once. My bro got it serviced and the car was fine afterwards.
I too had the same experience with santro ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks