Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 04:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Be careful how you say it

You confused me with the way you stated your problem although after rereading your post I understand it and you make perfect sense. The ABS is always ON. It does not "kick in". Be careful how you talk to a service manager about this as he will try to dismiss you if he can.

ABS is controlled by a ECU, electrical control unit. This compares the vehicle speed to the speed of the wheel. When there is a variance, to its little mind, it sends a signal to electrically controlled hydraulic valves that control the brakes. This is why you get the pulsating feeling through the brake pedal when the ABS valves are working.
Usually when you turn on the key to the accessory position the ABS will momentarily put put itself in test mode. You could try just looking at this ABS test by turning your key to accessory mode. Read about it in your owner's manual, as it is possible that it tests itself when you first start up instead. Usually the ECU is designed to be self-testing and often it is also redundant, that is, it is a dual processor in case one processor fails. Usually, if the ECU fails a clear signal is sent and you get some kind of warning appearing on your instrument cluster. If the whole processor fails it should throw a code that can be read by your dealer's OBD code reader. I do not know how Maruti handles complete failure. You may find it in your owner's manual as well. The suggestion to let other BHPians look at it is an excellent one.
Old 19th February 2008, 04:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ah hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There are a couple of other braking-improvement functions in some ABS systems such as EBD (Elctronic Brake-force Distribution) and BFM (Brake Force Multiplication; increases brake force proportional to rate of pressing the brake pedal), which are not provided by the Swift ABS.
Upon more careful reading I believe DerAlte has found the reason for your complaint. You have a cheap version of ABS which does not give you good feedback through your pedal.
Old 19th February 2008, 08:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

The swift does have EBD but it does not have BFM.
Old 19th February 2008, 19:08   #19
BHPian

ABS self test seems to be working fine. The light momentarily comes on when the car starts.

Are there any TeamBHPians with experience of ABS cars around Powai in Mumbai. If one of them could take a look at the car I would be really grateful. Not to say a good treat assured.

Thanks
Anand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You confused me with the way you stated your problem although after rereading your post I understand it and you make perfect sense. The ABS is always ON. It does not "kick in". Be careful how you talk to a service manager about this as he will try to dismiss you if he can.

ABS is controlled by a ECU, electrical control unit. This compares the vehicle speed to the speed of the wheel. When there is a variance, to its little mind, it sends a signal to electrically controlled hydraulic valves that control the brakes. This is why you get the pulsating feeling through the brake pedal when the ABS valves are working.
Usually when you turn on the key to the accessory position the ABS will momentarily put put itself in test mode. You could try just looking at this ABS test by turning your key to accessory mode. Read about it in your owner's manual, as it is possible that it tests itself when you first start up instead. Usually the ECU is designed to be self-testing and often it is also redundant, that is, it is a dual processor in case one processor fails. Usually, if the ECU fails a clear signal is sent and you get some kind of warning appearing on your instrument cluster. If the whole processor fails it should throw a code that can be read by your dealer's OBD code reader. I do not know how Maruti handles complete failure. You may find it in your owner's manual as well. The suggestion to let other BHPians look at it is an excellent one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks