Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:27   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
LOL adya, I knew that, what I meant was that companies dont wire it this way i.e. compressor will run only when engine is running, at least in the current generation cars. Correct me if I am wrong.
Techno, you're right. In conventionally fuelled cars, the compressor is always driven by the engine.
However, when you move to hybrids (Mild or Full), the drive to the compressor can be either the IC engine or the electric motor. In some cases, the compressor (electric) is also powered by the APU (Auxiliary Power Units) through the battery stack.
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
AC running on battery - quite possible
AC running on car battery - needs some work but possible as long as AC has peak current requirement under maximum current supplied by battery but it won't work for much long. So it basically won't be practical.
OT: When I was a kid, I enjoyed sitting in my cousin's ooold maruti 800 and play like driving the car. On one such day it was really hot inside and I switched on the AC with the engine switched off (My cousin unlocks the car for me and takes the keys with him). After sometime the AC shutdown automatically. I didnt know what to do and got out of the car and was like nothing happened. Later when my cousin was leaving urgently, he found that the car woudnt start. After looking around he found that the battery was dead. That's when I got a SOUND advise on not using the AC in a car with engine switch off. A lesson to this day I remember. LOL how is a kid supposed to know all that??

Anyways New Gen cars will switch on the AC only if the engine is running thereby saving the poor battery
Old 23rd February 2008, 16:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

In the automobiles available now in India, only Reva has an AC which is completely driven by a battery officer.

In a normal car AC, the compressor is driven by a belt drive when the engine is running, but the blower runs on current either from battery when engine is not running or from battery / alternator when engine is running.

If the blower is used in a stationary car without the engine running, it can lead to the battery draining out.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I hope you are not serious, Ac running running off a battery ?

This is an interesting thread for anyone who wants insight on Auto ACs

I stand corrected. I gotta justify my newbie status, ainnie?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks