Team-BHP - Scratches....Why are they always in contrast colors?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Scratches....Why are they always in contrast colors? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35911-scratches-why-they-always-contrast-colors.html)

Scratches on my white color car are always black and on my friends black car they are white. I wonder why are scratches always in contrasting colors? Is there any technical reason for the way they exist today? Some of my observations are as below:

Car color – Scratch color
White – Black
Black – White
Red – White

I wish scratches on black cars are black and white cars are white.:)

Its called Murphy's Law - "If something can go wrong, it will."

And what fun would it be if a black scratch is on a black car?

Ask me, I just love the 'white' scratches on the boot of my car, when I scraped it against the wall! :Frustrati:Frustrati

It is only white Scratches visible on black car and viceversa...LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by visu03 (Post 732092)

I also wish the same. This way, I do not have worry about scratches at all. In fact I may welcome kids to do their art work on my car. lol

Its because of the primer being used as the first coat before the colour.

the coating under every paint job is greyish wite,or say off white,so when a car in black color gets scratched we see the wite underneeth.in the case of white car the scratch is white but the dirt enters the scratch and becomes dark by the time we see it.so its visible.in a black car too we see the scratch clearly only in the begining state after some time the contrast reduces because of the dirt effect.we can barely notice scratches in light golde or silver cars maimly due to this-DIRT EFFECT.let the discussion begin.
ram

You are right Ram. I have scratches in my bright silver santro but are visible only when you have closer look .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_Safari (Post 732152)
You are right Ram. I have scratches in my bright silver santro but are visible only when you have closer look .

Same here, some kid ended up scratching the right side rear door on my 2 day old Silver WagonR.

After a few days, couldnt make out the scratch unles you looked carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by visu03 (Post 732092)
Scratches on my white color car are always black and on my friends black car they are white. I wonder why are scratches always in contrasting colors? Is there any technical reason for the way they exist today? Some of my observations are as below:

Car color – Scratch color
White – Black
Black – White
Red – White

For silver color, scratches do not seem contrasting to original color. The contrast you meant seems to apply only to dark colors.

LOL Maybe the manufacturers give a contrast undercoating so it will always have a contrast scratch and you will be hard pressed to get it tinkered and re-painted and the dealers get to make some money :uncontrol.

Seriously though, the scratches are more visible in dark coloured cars. IMO white cars are much easier to maintain than Black ones as the Black ones will clearly show dust (Which means you have to clean the car daily.. At least in my area) and scratches in full glory to the on-looker.

Silver colour is the best bet :thumbs up.

Visu03,

I think the answer to your question (assuming that you are talking about fairly shallow scratches) involves the clear coat above the paint and the way light acts due to reflection / refraction /TIR etc

cya
R

well, I bought silver color car thinking that it'll hide scratches...but then it got hit hard enough to have dents :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by amohit (Post 732829)
well, I bought silver color car thinking that it'll hide scratches...but then it got hit hard enough to have dents :Frustrati

Hey the silver does not completely hides the scratches and dents, but it shows then much much lesser than other dark colours. Imagine a dent in a red/maroon car. It will be visible from a long distance away :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amohit (Post 732829)

But a silver car is still the easiest to maintain. I can tell you that from experience.....it responds the best to a wax job in getting rid of scratches and marks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 732681)
Visu03,

I think the answer to your question ........the way light acts due to reflection / refraction /TIR etc

Can you elaborate? Reflection is , okay but Refraction/TIR? In that case the effect should be the same for whatever colour underneath, right?