Old 6th March 2014, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Urgent:2001 Fiat Palio Fuel pipe damaged by rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
The damage to the pipe was only in the outer rubber portion - the
inner hard fibre (?) portion was intact. I covered the damaged rubber
portion with mseal yesterday to let it cure overnight and this morning I
took a short 20 minute drive - no leak was observed.
Don't risk it with Mseal if the pipe bursts the engine bay will be sprayed in petrol coming from the high pressure pump and start a fire.

If you need to use the car till you get the right Fiat part replace the pipe with another fuel hose rated for fuel injection use. Some Maruti/Tata/Hyundai MPFI fuel pipe will match. Take the chewed up pipe for reference.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 14:46   #47
BHPian

Maruti Swift Fuel Pipe (Bitten by Rats)

Hi All,

About an hour back, I started my car in my Apartment Basement, reversed my car about 10 ft and realized the car did not want to move anymore and I could see I was losing RPM, tried to step on the gas a bit, did not see the RPM move, immediately stopped the engine, pulled out the key.

I usually roll down the driver side window before I even start my car, this is to ensure anything I might hear or smell.

I did not smell anything today, but when i got down my car, to my horror, i saw petrol leaking, and from under the bonnet, I opened the bonnet, was worried to use my phone flash light to see what's going on, as I could clearly see petrol and the smell.

Waited a bit, then used my flash light and to my horror the fuel line was leaking, now i am unsure on what this bit of pipe is called really, can anybody advise please?

I need to call the service guys to come over and replace it, I can do it but do not want to take a chance.

Attached is the image.

Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line-1.jpg

Regards
Arya
Old 16th October 2015, 15:44   #48
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift Fuel Pipe (Bitten by Rats)

I am not completely sure, but I this could be leaking fuel line. What I am surprised is if its petrol it cant be wet for long time like seen in the photos. Dont lose anymore fuel, leaking fuel could be dangerous to take the car out. One thing what could be done is tape the pipe firmly before you lose any more fuel and keep the car safe.

Let us know what the SS guys have to say about it.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 17:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
I am not completely sure, but I this could be leaking fuel line. What I am surprised is if its petrol it cant be wet for long time like seen in the photos. Dont lose anymore fuel, leaking fuel could be dangerous to take the car out. One thing what could be done is tape the pipe firmly before you lose any more fuel and keep the car safe.

Let us know what the SS guys have to say about it.
There is no fuel leaking now, it only leaked when the engine was on, seems like something the fuel only comes out when the engine is on.

There was no fuel under the car when i first started it this morning too.
Old 16th October 2015, 20:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
There is no fuel leaking now, it only leaked when the engine was on, seems like something the fuel only comes out when the engine is on.

There was no fuel under the car when i first started it this morning too.
It will leak when the fuel pump which is usual inside the fuel tank pumps fuel to the engine when you start the car.

Do *NOT* drive the car, call up on road assistance or your mechanic to replace the fuel pipe at your place.

If the fuel gets in contact with a sufficiently heated surface e.g. a engine which has been running, then you will have the chance to feature your car in the thread - cars catching fire.

So, please plug the leak before you run your car. The pipe will not cost much and in general should be easily replaceable on the field.

PS: I had a similar thing, not the fuel line but coolant return which "possibly" was weakened by rats and it gave away when the mechanic was diagnosing a fuel issue in my stalled vehicle. My fuel pump had gone kaput.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 22:23   #51
BHPian

Re: Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line

Hi All,
Thank you for the responses, so this morning I got up and cut the damaged part of the hose pipe as can be seen in the image. Then ensured there was no leak after thee temporary fix. Travelled to the service center, which is about 1kms from my home, got the part details and the part, replaced it. Total cost 492 bucks.

Hopefully this won't happen again.

Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line-_20151017_221609.jpg
Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line-_20151017_221512.jpg
Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line-_20151017_221445.jpg

Last edited by gearbox : 17th October 2015 at 22:25.
Old 18th October 2015, 07:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

You are lucky you got it fixed in 492 bucks buddy. In my case my Civic's entire lower fuel pipe had to be changed as it was happily nibbled away by a rat and it cost me around 7.5k including towing charges. It's time you take precautions like tobacco/poison etc as it can happen again. Don't let the rat get away with it take preventive measure like a trap etc.
Old 18th October 2015, 12:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You are lucky you got it fixed in 492 bucks buddy. In my case my Civic's entire lower fuel pipe had to be changed as it was happily nibbled away by a rat and it cost me around 7.5k including towing charges. It's time you take precautions like tobacco/poison etc as it can happen again. Don't let the rat get away with it take preventive measure like a trap etc.
Hi Sumeeth,

The good part is the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the engine is only 1 foot in length, and from there I believe is a metal pipe, I have tried a ton of things to fix this, but to no avail, Infact I had to spend close to 5k to get the AC system cleaned, there were rodents all inside the car, I have Maruti Swift for that, this is probably a car which can get into a lot of trouble with rats and even the simplest fix can cost a ton, since I had to get the dashboard removed completely, then had to add 2 thick mesh' inside the AC inlet, bolted down to ensure no rats enter in, so far it has been helpful, I just hope it does not happen again.

One thing is for sure, I will never buy a Maruti again, no matter what, the rattles in my car, bad service, niggles, and all the jazz will sure keep me away. I have tried a ton to fix the rattles and it has not worked a bit.

Can you elaborate more on the tobacco part, I would like to try it please.

Last edited by gearbox : 18th October 2015 at 12:45.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 13:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hi Sumeeth,

The good part is the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the engine is only 1 foot in length, and from there I believe is a metal pipe, I have tried a ton of things to fix this, but to no avail, Infact I had to spend close to 5k to get the AC system cleaned, there were rodents all inside the car, I have Maruti Swift for that, this is probably a car which can get into a lot of trouble with rats and even the simplest fix can cost a ton, since I had to get the dashboard removed completely, then had to add 2 thick mesh' inside the AC inlet, bolted down to ensure no rats enter in, so far it has been helpful, I just hope it does not happen again.

One thing is for sure, I will never buy a Maruti again, no matter what, the rattles in my car, bad service, niggles, and all the jazz will sure keep me away. I have tried a ton to fix the rattles and it has not worked a bit.

Can you elaborate more on the tobacco part, I would like to try it please.
What i do is sprinkle tobacco bought from the local pan beedi shop inside the hood. The rats are not suppose to like the smell and tend to stay away. This works but there are hardened rats who even chew tobaco so might not work on them. If they persists roban cake laced with ratol paste (both are rat poisons) is very effective. Dont' flinch at the thought of killing remember its for safety of you and your vehicle since its a petrol car. Rats are habitual creatures and tend to frequent same spaces they invaded previously.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th October 2015 at 13:36.
Old 18th October 2015, 13:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What i do is sprinkle tobacco bought from the local pan beedi shop inside the hood. The rats are not suppose to like the smell and tend to stay away. This works but there are hardened rats who even chew tobaco so might not work on them. If they persists roban cake laced with ratol paste (both are rat poisons) is very effective. Dont' flinch at the thought of killing remember its for safety of you and your vehicle since its a petrol car. Rats are habitual creatures and tend to frequent same spaces they invaded previously.
I agree with you on hardended rats, I have had nothing but trouble with rats after i bought my car, especially when I was living in an Independent house in Bangalore, is when i faced most issues, O2 sensor wire clipped off, rodents inside AC vents and what not, moved to this new place, it is an apartment, this is the first trouble I've had.

I have tried those poison cakes, sprayed the engine with engine oil (someone told me it helps), never tried the tobacco trick though, I like to keep the engine bay clean, since rats like places that are dark and bad smelling, that proved to be a good keep away for rats, but then seems like they are back, I did see a few of them in my basement, they are huge.

I sure will try the options you suggested, hope this would keep them away.

I am also on the verge of switching my car, so maybe it is best to try the cheapest option to keep the car safe, do not want to spend more money on this one.
Old 6th July 2021, 20:01   #56
BHPian

Like once every week, with car not being used, I went down to basement to start the car. (Elite i20) To my dismay the car would not start. I thought the battery must have drained and tried a couple of times to start without success. Then the security pointed out that the petrol was leaking below the car. When I opened the bonnet this is what I saw.

Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line-img_20210706_175700-copy.jpg

I assume this is rat bite as the frequency of rat movement has increased considerably in the past few months in the basement.

I called up Hyundai and they have asked me not to start the car but to get it towed to Mission road ASS. Called up insurance guys but they initially mentioned RSA is not covered in my insurance but when I read out that Tow charges are covered they want me to call RSA and explain them. ASS mentions it will cost 3500-4000 to fix this.

Do I get the local mechanic and get this fixed or opt for tow/fix in ASS?
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 21:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Like once every week, with car not being used, I went down to basement to start the car. (Elite i20) To my dismay the car would not start. I thought the battery must have drained and tried a couple of times to start without success. Then the security pointed out that the petrol was leaking below the car. When I opened the bonnet this is what I saw.

Do I get the local mechanic and get this fixed or opt for tow/fix in ASS?
If it is only the fuel hose, some FNG can also do it equally well. You may save the time compared to the authorised SS, if not money. The FNG may even entertain your request to send the mechanic at your place; try asking them.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks