Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 16:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

been there done that. Came back home after filling fuel and next day morning see no fuel and my M800DX won't start. I ams hocked seeing empty fuel. Then look below and no fuel leak as well.

The car was parked on a drainage grill and teh fuel went down the drain. Got the fuel line changed and put a PVC pipe over the fuel line to prevent future chewing.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:02   #17
BHPian

Maruti should consider this: Please Supply Rat biscuits along with tool kit. Also add this in the instruction manual.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:03   #18
Team-BHP Support

the iCat cannot save you from the rat.
ha ha ha

but was the car not reeking of fuel,
and thank god no one did a let me smoke while I think on this.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I looked for this during my initial investigation, but did not see a choke anywhere. I think MPFIs do not come with a choke - dont remember seeing one on my Baleno either.
Right Biju. MPFI engine's dont come with a choke. My esteem and my M800 have no choke.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:08   #20
BHPian

Happened to me too, but i guess they liked wires near the ecu than fuel lines of my alto.
The car would start but the check engine light would stay on.
Thankfully rewiring the stuff solved the problem.
Thereafter I have fed the rats with tons of rat poison so that this doesn't recur.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
the iCat cannot save you from the rat. ha ha ha
Actually we all had a big laugh over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
but was the car not reeking of fuel, and thank god no one did a let me smoke while I think on this.
There was absolutely no smell of fuel. I think (did not see the exact place where the lines got cut) the cut was at a higher point than the level of fuel, which might explain why there was no spillage of fuel.

And you know what, yours truly smoked quite a few cigarettes while near the car, thinking of solutions for the problem. Not knowing that a small rat was behind it all.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Rats are pretty destructive in a car. They can make you spend thousands.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Right Biju. MPFI engine's dont come with a choke. My esteem and my M800 have no choke.
Right. The choke opens up another fuel line in a carb and make the mixture rich. In a MPFI the ECU does all this juglery

Quote:
There was absolutely no smell of fuel. I think (did not see the exact place where the lines got cut) the cut was at a higher point than the level of fuel, which might explain why there was no spillage of fuel.

And you know what, yours truly smoked quite a few cigarettes while near the car, thinking of solutions for the problem. Not knowing that a small rat was behind it all.
The fuel is fed by a fuel pump. TYhis practically mandatory in a MPFI.
Since the electrical connections (and the fuel line) was cut only the fuel that was in the fuel line would have been spilt.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th February 2008 at 16:54. Reason: Please Use Multi Quote
Old 28th February 2008, 16:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

@SB - i am sure you didnt have to go through this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/727615-post586.html

but then - play safe man
Old 28th February 2008, 16:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
My friend's Palio Weekend Diesel also suffered the RAT problem. The rat chewed away the fan belt and then got stuck beneath the timing belt and the pulley.
The full episode cost him ~ 25000
Old 28th February 2008, 16:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
happened to me last year on my MPFi m800 . Rats chewed the spark plug wires.

The middle cylinder wire of the 3 cylinder 800 engine was totally cut and the other 2 almost on the verge of breaking... so only the 2 side cylinders were firing. Since opposing cylinder (in terms of the firing cycle ) wasn't firing the car was vibrating violently... i just freaked out since the m800 mpfi engine is normally very silent even on cold mornings.

opened the bonnet while the car was still running and saw huge sparks running out of the centre cylinder.... and a huge rat (GHOOS as we call it in marathi) frightened and sitting in a corner nibbling other wires.

fixed it real dirty with a insulation tape ensuring no sparks flew and drive to the nearest garage to fix the cabling...

1700 something ka choona lag gaya....

After returning back gave a grand party of Morteim Ratkill to the rats for sparing other wires.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:51   #27
BHPian

I had a similar experience, and one of the drivers in my colony fixed it, by just tapping the starter motor with a rod they use to remove tyres. I'm not able to explain this properly I guess, but in my Zen there is a small starter motor behind the engine towards the buttom, one day my car just refused to start, I knew the battery was fine, there was enough fuel, but this starter motor trick, I learnt that day, just a small tap and all was fine after that.

My be your problem is a similar one, this is my best guess.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:53   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There you go.
Yes, a rat chewed away both the fuel line and the cable that gives input to the fuel gauge. So, no fuel to the engine, which is why it wont start. And no indication of fuel-in-the-tank on the fuel gauge.
YEAH baby! Where's my prize?
Old 28th February 2008, 16:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
Maruti should consider this: Please Supply Rat biscuits along with tool kit. Also add this in the instruction manual.
maruti wont do it but when i was working with the dealership, we had this rat issue as one of the major problems, we used to advise the customer to buy napthalene cubes and tie them to all the major wires, hoses by putting them in nets.

that was quite a detterent.

i think atleast at the time of deliveries of new cars, sales people could instruct the owners of this.

plus it wont even cost a couple of rupees but will save a lot on the future problems.

Mansi
Old 28th February 2008, 17:21   #30
BHPian

something similar had happened to my old matiz more than a year back..the rats had targetted the fuel pipe directly.....
First the car wudnt start and when i tried to start,petrol starts to leak...
finally narrowed down the problem to a fuel pipe bitten by the rats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks