Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:23   #1
BHPian

Tips On Filling Your Car.

Only buy or fill up your car or bike in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands,so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

(For those who use self filling pertol pumps)
When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating
roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up--most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

cheers:

(moderators, if this aint the right place to start this thread, please do the necessary moves)

Last edited by wischvuanaudh : 3rd March 2008 at 21:27.
wischvuanaudh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:27   #2
BHPian

Thanks, also kindly mention the source to this information.

CARtoday.com Discussion Forums: Is this true?
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Thanks, also kindly mention the source to this information.

CARtoday.com Discussion Forums: Is this true?
toiingg,, one of my friends forwarded it through mail. I thought it might help some. so posted it here.
regards.
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:46   #4
BHPian

Good one. I always wanted to fill up early in the morning, but I could never manage to get up so early and go for the fill
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wischvuanaudh View Post
toiingg,, one of my friends forwarded it through mail. I thought it might help some. so posted it here.
regards.
Thanks for this valueable information. I hope many benefit from this.
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good one.

We have an old thread for this and guess one of the mods can merge this to it.
Old 4th March 2008, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

The advice that you have given is very useful. We have a major private sector oil marketing/refining company as a client, and their technical people also said the same thing:

1. Fill in the morning
2. Fill at low.

However, according to them, the difference by adopting other practices is not much (was around 0.3-0.5 litre for Corolla), and even the savings may vary across different time periods. So, definitely go for the advice given by the thread starter if you have the time and convenience, but filling at a time convenient to you may not cause much of a loss.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Thanks for this info,

I religious do fill my car in the mornings before 9am every fortnight, this was basically to aviod traffic. But now after the info you shareed it make more sense....

Cheers!!!
Old 4th March 2008, 10:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information.

I usually fill in the evening because of convenience. I am going to change the practice.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Thanks Wisch, Would follow your advice. I would at the same time like to recommend all not to fill up from the old pumps. most of them are manipulated and give mis readings. Always look for a company owned and company operated petrol pump, the quality would be better and the chances of adulteration and manipulation of meters would be less compared to other private owned pumps.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
quality would be better and the chances of adulteration and manipulation of meters would be less compared to other private owned pumps.
Yes, but the chances of COCO bunks pulling the Rs200 trick is the most...as that is the only way for them to make more money.

By the way any idea, how much less fuel per lt can we get in the evening as compared to, in the morning.

Regards,
Old 4th March 2008, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

good one buddie,you gave a valueable information and hope this one helps every one here.I usually fill in the afternoon or evening.Ill have to stop this by all chance now.
ram
Old 4th March 2008, 11:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Yes, but the chances of COCO bunks pulling the Rs200 trick is the most...as that is the only way for them to make more money.
OT: What's the Rs200 trick??

Quote:
By the way any idea, how much less fuel per lt can we get in the evening as compared to, in the morning.
Already answered by vasudeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
....the difference by adopting other practices is not much (was around 0.3-0.5 litre for Corolla), and even the savings may vary across different time periods. So, definitely go for the advice given by the thread starter if you have the time and convenience, but filling at a time convenient to you may not cause much of a loss.
Old 4th March 2008, 12:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

now why i am i surprised the last tank i filled up in the swift lasted only for 550kms!

and this time dad had this filled around 7 in the morning!, and voila its not even half tank yet and the trip shows 320+ already now thats news!, of course the car is new and i recently learnt that the tyre pressure for the after market ones needs more pressure. even did that too this time and hence this whopping increase in the FE!

thanks for the info mate will make it a point to follow them!
Old 4th March 2008, 12:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My cars are refulled in the mornings almost 90% of the time so its good to know i am getting a little more bang for my buck
I instruct the drivers to top it up once the fuel tank is 1/4 full.
However i am a bit confused as the article mentions that you should fill on half tank full to avoid evaporation whereas 'vasudeva' claims you should fill when fuel is low?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks