Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 15:32   #1
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra - RPM Problem

Hi All,

Recently I got a used 2002 Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol (though RC Book says its Sienna) which have 45,500 KMs in its odo-meter sofar. I got this, against the advice of my many friends, because I always liked Fiat Enginnering.
Off Late the RPM was very erratic and dealer in Mangalore told me that its because of Ignition Coil gone bad. I changed it thru that dealer, which costed me around Rs. 2300/-. But still I was not happy and I brought the vehicle to Bangalore and showed it to the dealer. He checked thru Computer/Scanner, and found out there were lots of Errors, which he corrected. Mechanically he found no Problems at all.
But today morning while coming to office I started getting same problem. Whenever I STOP near traffic Junction or Stop due to Heavy traffic, the RPM behaves very erratically. from 600 RPM it goes upto 2500 RPM (and because of this everybody else will be looking at me as what am I doing)...and at many points I had to switch off the engine and restart it .... to come out of this strange behavior.
Anybody has any idea as Why this is happening and What can be done to correct this problem?
Please do advice.
Regards
Rai
Old 4th March 2008, 17:19   #2
BHPian

Have you tried changing the petrol pump you fill from ?
Old 4th March 2008, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rai,

> Off Late the RPM was very erratic and dealer in Mangalore told me that its
> Whenever I STOP near traffic Junction or Stop due to Heavy traffic, the RPM > behaves very erratically. from 600 RPM it goes upto 2500 RPM (and because of

Could you check out the following?

Yahoo! Groups

Should help you.
Old 4th March 2008, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Have you tried changing the petrol pump you fill from ?
This or dirt in the throttle body. Basically some error in the readings taken by the sensors responsible for the air fuel mix and volume.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:02   #5
Rai
BANNED

Erratic RPM

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice.
Let me try changing the Petrol Bunk where I am filling. Normally I do full tank to Full tank. So will wait for 3 more days, so that tank will become empty and then will change over to SHELL.
Let me see how this will effect the erratic RPM.

Meanwhile, please let me know if any more ideas regarding this...

But to tell you frankly, this car, Petra, is fantastic. I am wondering as, why didn't I got it earlier?

Regards
Rai
Old 4th March 2008, 20:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice.
Let me try changing the Petrol Bunk where I am filling. Normally I do full tank to Full tank. So will wait for 3 more days, so that tank will become empty and then will change over to SHELL.
Let me see how this will effect the erratic RPM.

Meanwhile, please let me know if any more ideas regarding this...

But to tell you frankly, this car, Petra, is fantastic. I am wondering as, why didn't I got it earlier?

Regards
Rai

By the way, I suggest you do not let the tank get empty to refill. Better to fill up when its halfway through only. This way, you have less space for evaporation and the dirt gathering at the bottom does not reach a very high proportion to the petrol left.

And the car, I agree is just superb. Never a dull moment, and I don't mean any problems contributing to that.
I just feel sorry for all who missed to drive this car.

Oh and Welcome to Team bhp.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is attributed to a dirty throttle body if you are lucky or else you are stuck with a car from the batch of bad throttle bodies. Please get it cleaned once and if it doesn't fix the issue replace it. Thats the ONLY solution. We had a discussion on this somewhere. Let me hunt it down for you.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:31   #8
BHPian

I had the exact same problem on my Honda Prelude. I didnt get it resolved. I just sold the car coz of other issues.
Old 4th March 2008, 20:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I had the exact same problem on my Honda Prelude. I didnt get it resolved. I just sold the car coz of other issues.
So I called a friend of mine who also owns a prelude and had a similar problem. He suggested that it could be one of many issues including (air in coolant) or Idle air control valve related issue.

YOu may have already done this but anyway try using google , i tried doing the same it came up with a lot of results so instead of me simple copy pasting all those results here just go ahead and google "bouncing idle problem". Good luck!
Old 4th March 2008, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are two things that you could get checked.

1) Throttle Body Cleaning.

2) EGR Valve - Its something with the Gas REcirculation. Have heard that irratic iding could be a symptom of a faulty EGR Sensor or EGR Valve.

I suggest you first get a throttle body cleaning done.

got one link though might not be that helpfull
Erratic Idling - The FIAT Forum

Last edited by gemithomas : 4th March 2008 at 22:42.
Old 4th March 2008, 22:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
2) EGR Valve - Its something with the Gas REcirculation. Have heard that irratic iding could be a symptom of a faulty EGR Sensor or EGR Valve.
There is no EGR in the Palio / Petra.
Old 5th March 2008, 04:19   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

try Not to get premium fuel put in your car.The same problem used to occur in my siena and when i pointed it out to a fiat technician,he advised me not to use premium fuel .
And when there is erratic idling,simple rev the engine even more to say 3000/4000rpm,and the problem will stop.
When i got talking to a senior advisor at the workshop(a friend of my dad),he mentioned that when you drive a lot and the engine gets heated up,the engine starts hunting(rpm starts fluctuating) to cool down the engine.I dont know how that helps,dont ask me because i dont know.Just repeating what he told me.
Old 7th March 2008, 12:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

What are the updates. Did you solve the problems
Old 15th March 2008, 14:16   #14
Rai
BANNED

Problem Solved

Hi,
I tried All suggetions. Changed to different Petrol Bunks. Tried All types of Petrols. But still the problem remained...
So as suggested, I went to Manipal Motors (One of the Fiat Dealers in Bangalore) and asked those guys to clean the Throttle Body. They did that and told me lots of dust deposits were there and they have cleaned it up.
Now the problem is gone. Its just one day after the cleaning and problem has Not ReOccured. Hope it remains so.

Thanks to you all for suggetions.
Regards
Rai
Old 15th March 2008, 15:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

i think you are on track, the mpfi engines need throttle body cleaning every 25 k kms in indian conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks