Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 21:00   #1
BHPian

Major Service

Guys, I tried to put this question is other thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ecklist-3.html

However haven't got any response there, I would be getting the work done tomorrow, as I need to head out of town this weekend, so just opening this thread so that it catches more eye*****.

I made a list from the above mentioned thread and went to my neighborhood work shop...apart from the regular stuff, this what I was told about the checklist..

Please provide some feedback, as I have got the stuff, however will get it serviced tomorrow..

Esteem Type 1 - 97, Carb.

1. Engine Oil - I have got Mobil Super. Dealer told me that its at par with Shell Helix ultra, not sure about it. Secondly the packing date is March 2007, its almost a year old, does it impact the quality ? is there a good before date ? as none is mentioned on the pack.

2. Radiator Flush & Coolant - 2 lt, Golden cruiser, recommended by the dealer again.

3. Gear Oil - 2.5 Ltr, HP Gear Drive - EP 90

4. Spark Plugs - Champion, 10 YC

5. Injector and Fuel Pump Cleaning - Workshop guy says that only MPFI cars, in carb the fuel pump is fixed and cannot be cleaned. is it true ?

6. Clean/Adjust Throttle - Again only in MPFI

7. Timing Belt - Saying Rs.550 is the labour charge for the same. The belt is Rs.270

I also got a product i.e. called System G, its a petrol additive, Rs.220 for 200 Ml..has anyone actually used it ? is it recommended ?
Old 4th March 2008, 22:28   #2
BHPian

Have got an 98 Astra and am thinking on all the same things mentioned here.
Old 5th March 2008, 22:46   #3
BHPian

So, I got all the work done today, it took me 7 hours at the workshop..

1. Got gear oil and engine oil changed infront of myself, topped the brake fluid. (Rs.50 service charge + cost of lubes)

2. Got all three filters changed.

3. Timing Belt and bearing changed (belt Rs.270, Bearing Rs.400 and Service Charge Rs.550)

4. Tappets/Rockers Adjusted, engine tuned by computer (Service Charge Rs.275)

5. got radiator flushed, it was sent to a third part workshop, Rs.250 for the flushing and Rs.150 service charge of the workshop who removed, sent for flushing and fitted it back), also added new coolant.

6. Got all the belts and hose pipes changed.

7. Water Pump/water body was also changed.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:20   #4
BHPian

Great! So how does the car feel and what were the total expenses?
Old 6th March 2008, 08:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Great! So how does the car feel and what were the total expenses?
it has become quite, smoother, pickup has gone up...
Old 6th March 2008, 20:34   #6
BHPian

Could you also mention what were the total expenses incurred?
Old 6th March 2008, 22:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Could you also mention what were the total expenses incurred?
Oops...I am sorry didn't mention that last time...Rs.1400 was total labour charge..and all the parts and lubes costed Rs.3500..included all the hose pipes, all the belts including the timing belt, brake oil, gear oil, engine oil, water pump/body, timing bearing, return pipe, battery box, clamps, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter...

I hope I haven't missed anything...but now if I look at it, it was really cheap..and everything was 'genuine' i.e. OEM or stock...except for the battery box, Maruti one was Rs.400 and local was Rs.60, I went for local one, as it doesn't have any role in the car except for holding the battery...

That is the beauty of Maruti product...but yours is Opel, I am sure you will bleed a lot more than me..
Old 7th March 2008, 01:45   #8
BHPian

Nice!!! All that in 5K. I wonder what its gonna cost me and when will i get around to it. Too busy right now but have been wanting to do this major service since a long time even thought the car is working just fine.

P.S.- Have you noticed that this thread is only about a conversation between you and me
Old 10th May 2008, 08:59   #9
BHPian

Now its couple of months since I got this done, have driven it around 6k, got it checked couple of weeks back and all the oils were fine..

However will get it checked today itself.

Can someone tell me, if the Engine oil seems to be good, can it be used or it still has to be changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks