Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 18:52   #1
BHPian

How to achieve Max FE in an Opel Corsa?

Hello All experts,

My first thread in BHP forum and i love this forum for making me learn a lot of new things about automobiles.

Everybody knows that Opel Corsa does not return a good FE. Iam sure average KMPL for an opel COrsa would be less than 10 in city and 12-14 in highway. My Corsa 1.4 GSI returns 7-8 in city without AC, 10-12 in highways with 40% AC ON.

Why don't you all experts put some advices/suggestions on how to drive to achieve the max KMPL out of an opel COrsa, it would save so many CORSA owners from burning their pockets for fuel.

anyadvice on gear ratios, adequate tyre pressure, what to check in the hood etc will be helpful

thanks in advance
Raj
Old 5th March 2008, 19:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Raj

Look up the Max Fuel Efficiency article in the Team-BHP Advice section.
Old 5th March 2008, 19:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

losing battle my friend :-)

-fellow corsa owner. (my ATM card is with my driver)
Old 5th March 2008, 19:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few points to consider

1) Do an engine decarb if not done for the last 20000km
2) Maintain correct tyre pressure, does not harm to overinflate around 2 psi above recommended. Will not affect ride quality drastically
3) Clean/change the air filter
4) last but not the least try a different filling station in order to eliminate a doubt about the quantity.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:37   #5
BHPian

Take out all the loose unwanted stuff from your trunk. If you want to go all the way go ahead and take out the spare wheel as well. basically reduce all the unwanted weight. My family owns a corsa back home in india and it sucks in fuel economy.
Old 5th March 2008, 21:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_7703 View Post
it would save so many CORSA owners from burning their pockets for fuel.

Raj
Hmm having said that... i would really like to know of this one corsa owner ADMAN77 who had/has a corsa. Was a 1.4 then did an engine swap and is running a 1.6 now.. with short pipe and the usual stage 1 mods complete..going on to stage2 mods...etc.. Wonder what his FE would be like??
Old 5th March 2008, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
losing battle my friend :-)

-fellow corsa owner. (my ATM card is with my driver)
nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Few points to consider

1) Do an engine decarb if not done for the last 20000km
2) Maintain correct tyre pressure, does not harm to overinflate around 2 psi above recommended. Will not affect ride quality drastically
3) Clean/change the air filter
4) last but not the least try a different filling station in order to eliminate a doubt about the quantity.

Guess raj can start with these for now. Driving style also matters

How about LPG ?
Old 6th March 2008, 00:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Take out all the loose unwanted stuff from your trunk. If you want to go all the way go ahead and take out the spare wheel as well. basically reduce all the unwanted weight. My family owns a corsa back home in india and it sucks in fuel economy.
[b] i agree

taking out the spare wheel is not recommended can cause issues if punctured and the max fe from a corsa can only be 8km/l or max to max 9km/l any thing above that is a mircle
Old 6th March 2008, 09:32   #9
BHPian

I remember GM recommends IFTEX System G additive for Corsa and this si basically aimed for enhancing FE...

One may want to try out this option.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:23   #10
BHPian

Read an article from a Corsa Owner through mouth shut review who suggests keeping the tyre pressure at 29 psi for good FE(OPEL CORSA 1.4 GSI Review)
He also suggests to clean the IAC valve (Idle air control valve -Around Rs 400 at GM). After cleaning this valve he started getting 12.5 - 13 in the city and 14.5 - 16.5 in the highway with AC ON which is absolutely fantastic for a corsa. If every corsa gets around these figures, the resale value would have increased some more...

Is the tyre pressure @ 29, a good move ? What about the IAC Valve?
Old 6th March 2008, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Raj

Look up the Max Fuel Efficiency article in the Team-BHP Advice section.
Sorry GTO, i could not make much out of it specifically for a CORSA
Old 13th July 2008, 08:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

i have a modified 1.6 ltre opel corsa...stage 1 complete....i seem to be getting descent figures....

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2008 at 10:22. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:33   #13

hi guys, this is my first post on this site
i m having corsa 1.6 2001 model
last week i got it decarb from the company [65k km],i have never got FE more than 9 kmpl even on highway.would placing a performance air filter help in increase fe?
Old 4th December 2009, 19:20   #14
BHPian

Mileage is not that bad

My friend has recently acquired a 2001 black corsa (top end, with 5 spoke plati mag) has given 17kmpl on the highway upto a certain distance (until I hit the median at around 100kmph at 1/4th of the total travelled distance on that trip, which eventually bent the rear suspension assembly. Boy that was really scary), but it managed a worse mileage of 13kmpl for the total trip we had to hampi & surrounding historical places for a totalling of 1109kms round-about.

I think we can easily squeeze 13 to 14 kmpl in city & 15 to 18 kmpl in highways.

My friends car maintenance/usage history card (ranking atop the worst situations)

1. it had a timing belt had snapped while the previous owner tried to overtake a zen on the highway - so no proper timing, usually the engine revs at idle can move the car upto the 3rd gear without any gas peddle workout.

2. the previous was a rally enthusiast, who had installed a hyundai spoiler & set of 4 mags with michelin tires.

3. no more information of the other previous owners, note the vehicle served in MH reg & had been transferred to KA so no history on the number of hands in the MH reg.

So with that kind of record, the car gave an astonishing 17kmpl, which really put a smile on our faces in the first leg of the trip.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:55   #15
BHPian

I get just over 10kmpl in city with AC on. I had a de-carb done last year, amd change oil every 5K kms. I have never bothered to check on Highway as I push the car to its max sometimes, the FE is bound to go down.

I suppose, going for a free flow header, and getting rid of cat-con, would add to slight fuel efficiency ( ofcourse, if you dont put your foot down while driving)

System G + shell unleaded. Keeps my engine smooth too. The moment I fill car with non-shell petrol I feel the difference ! Its probably the adulteration...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks