Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fluctuating RPM - Help!

My Adventure 1.6 has been giving rattling noises recently. It happens when the engine is pulling. THe noise is like some metal rattling. It is prominent on the right side of the engine. Have not been able to identify if something is loose. I checked the engine oil level and it seems to be slightly above the maximum mark. COuld this be the problem. The sound is there almost always (Cold or Hot). Dissappears when we accelerate fast and comes back when the engine is pulling and we are driving sedately. There is no symptom of the engine being overstrained.

Could someone help me with this. Thanks in advance
Old 6th March 2008, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Has to do with something loose, check thoroughly.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will be a good idea to check the engine mounts
Old 6th March 2008, 12:05   #4
BHPian

It is better to check the engine foundation. The engine foundation could be loose or the rubber bush in the engine foundation would have worn out.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:22   #5
BHPian

happened with my gearless two wheeler and the problem was with the clutch! Not sure if it could be the same problem. I might sound silly to compare a two wheelers problem to that of a 1.6 4 wheeler.
IMHO the other problem could be with spark plug. I might be totally wrong too.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:48   #6
BHPian

Did you open the hood and observe while car is idling?

If while idling entire engine is vibrating (abnormally) then it could be engine mounts - but such problems are lower probability

If engine vibration is normal then it must be something else - engine oil (?),

If idling does not create any vibration then you need to look beyond to the clutch and transmission side

If vibrations are road induced then problem might be nearer to tyre side

All these are just hunches it also depends on what kind of noise how frequent etc. that will tell you where to look

RD

I mentioned engine oil - I meant engine oil quality and not quantity might be a problem

RD

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2008 at 13:01. Reason: Please use edit instead of posting back to back
Old 7th March 2008, 00:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

any other symptoms like power loss or reduced power than before, less FE, clutch feeling hard at times?, observing this at bumps and speed breakers etc?
Old 7th March 2008, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
My Adventure 1.6 has been giving rattling noises recently. It happens when the engine is pulling. THe noise is like some metal rattling. It is prominent on the right side of the engine. Have not been able to identify if something is loose. I checked the engine oil level and it seems to be slightly above the maximum mark. COuld this be the problem. The sound is there almost always (Cold or Hot). Dissappears when we accelerate fast and comes back when the engine is pulling and we are driving sedately. There is no symptom of the engine being overstrained.

can u put up a video .. ?
Old 7th March 2008, 00:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Adventure 1.6 has been giving rattling noises recently. It happens when the engine is pulling. THe noise is like some metal rattling.

Dissappears when we accelerate fast and comes back when the engine is pulling and we are driving sedately. There is no symptom of the engine being overstrained.

In which gear and what speed does this sound occur.

Looks like you're making the engine pull the car from a lower speed in a high gear. And that rattling to me sounds like knocking.
Old 7th March 2008, 00:44   #10
BHPian

I too had a similar problem with my Palio s10, the engine used to rattle a lot in idle or lower gear, problem was identified to 2 faulty fuel injector, had to repace it, the problem dissapered.
Old 7th March 2008, 01:35   #11
BANNED

Is it a genuine Fiat adventure? I thought all Fiats were built like a tank!
Huh! I forgot. All tanks do rattle. Right? But come on! I thought adventurous Italian automotive thingys don't!
Oh, yes. This is just an exception. But wait! Did I miss Major's post? LOL!!

Jokes apart, I would check the gearbox, clutch and engine bushes first. But as Major mentioned, the injectors could be the culprit.
Any idea if the injectors are available easily and how much they cost?
Old 7th March 2008, 10:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Is it a genuine Fiat adventure? I thought all Fiats were built like a tank!
Huh! I forgot. All tanks do rattle. Right? But come on! I thought adventurous Italian automotive thingys don't!
Oh, yes. This is just an exception. But wait! Did I miss Major's post? LOL!!

Jokes apart, I would check the gearbox, clutch and engine bushes first. But as Major mentioned, the injectors could be the culprit.
Any idea if the injectors are available easily and how much they cost?

Good One. Dont ever let go a oppurtunity to batter the tank.

Well. As i've always said a 'tank' that is built with cost cutting in mind would surely 'rattle in battle'. The good thing here is that it is still being made with metal!!! However i still stick to my stand that the FIATs made during the first few years were the best cars on road even when compared to higher segments.

Well. Jokes apart. I managed to get under the car. There is a metal piece fixed at the begining of the silencer. I guess its job is to reduce heat from reaching a rubber bush on the wheel/steering rod. One side of this has been detached due to rusting. Just bent it a little bit and now the rattling has reduced. Now it occurs once in a while. So i think this was the culprit.

But something strange again happend yesterday. I went to a shop some 15km away. Parked. Bought. Came back. Started. And i see the rpm meter dancing between 2500rpm and 500 rpm.!!! I drive away and this dissappears. Never expereienced that again. Lucky Me!!

What could that be.??
Old 7th March 2008, 10:28   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And i see the rpm meter dancing between 2500rpm and 500 rpm.!!! I drive away and this dissappears. Never expereienced that again.
If that happens again, get the throttle body cleant.
Old 7th March 2008, 16:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
But something strange again happend yesterday. I went to a shop some 15km away. Parked. Bought. Came back. Started. And i see the rpm meter dancing between 2500rpm and 500 rpm.!!! I drive away and this dissappears. Never expereienced that again. Lucky Me!!

What could that be.??
Welcome to the club. . This is where our problems started with Adventure and continued ...still continuing, but situation is a lot better.

-BSR
Old 7th March 2008, 16:38   #15
BANNED

So, the Tank now does some dancing job too!
But lucky you, you ain't alone this time too.

I would definitely be very cautious about this RPM meter problem. It's better to rectify what problem it was. It may even prove out to be an ECU trouble too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks