Team-BHP - Swift VXI Tail light - A query
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift VXI Tail light - A query (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/36575-swift-vxi-tail-light-query.html)

As my Swift VXI has been only driven by me, never had an opportunity to check out the back of the car with lights on. My query is whether the tail panel on the rear bumper a reflector or a tailight ? When I inspected it I found that no lights are coming on. Checked with flooring the brake pedal too !!
But I had observed it to be working on some Swifts on the road. ? Checked the manual and it only mentions the top tailight on the hatch door .
I felt some wires behind the bumper panel from below. Thinking of getting it checked after some guidance on the thread.

Same thing happens on my friend's Ldi.

To me it looks like that it is used as a tail light only in top end verions -Vdi & Zxi(I might be wrong). In the other versions-Lxi,Vxi and Ldi , it is just a reflector or might also be a empty box with no bulb inside.

BTW: Cant it be the rear fog light instead of brake light?? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revved_up (Post 749475)
In the other versions-Lxi,Vxi and Ldi , it is just a reflector or might also be a empty box with no bulb inside.

Thats completely incorrect. Its a puddle-lamp for use in highway driving. You turn it on by the actuator next to the main headlamp control switch on the same stalk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 749479)
You turn it on by the actuator next to the main headlamp control switch on the same stalk.

But AFAIK, that actuator is fixed and non movable on a Swift Ldi, have not got a chance to check that on any other variants.

Woow mag,i never knew this,I believe its the same case with many swift owners too.Thanks for the info buddie.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by emkay456 (Post 749464)
As my Swift VXI has been only driven by me, never had an opportunity to check out the back of the car with lights on. My query is whether the tail panel on the rear bumper a reflector or a tailight ? When I inspected it I found that no lights are coming on. Checked with flooring the brake pedal too !!
But I had observed it to be working on some Swifts on the road. ? Checked the manual and it only mentions the top tailight on the hatch door .
I felt some wires behind the bumper panel from below. Thinking of getting it checked after some guidance on the thread.

The same light is there on the WagonR VXi which I won. The rear light should come on when you turn the actuator switch next to the headlamp switch to full.

It should work the same way with your car too since its a VXi. If it doesn't, get it checked at your next servicing, cos IMHO, its not an urgent thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revved_up (Post 749482)
But AFAIK, that actuator is fixed and non movable on a Swift Ldi, have not got a chance to check that on any other variants.

It cannot be turned on independantly. The headlight switch must be turned on fully first for the puddle lamp control switch to be turned on.

Oh,ok thanks for the info will check that out! clap:
And wat is the use of a puddle lamp at the rear bumper? stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revved_up (Post 749538)
And wat is the use of a puddle lamp at the rear bumper?

Exactly, what i thougth all this time was 'puddle light' is something you usually find in SUV's and other tall vehicle and that it is located on the bottom of the door... so when you swing the door open, the light glows so that you dont step into a puddle... :) is it not??

is that a rear fog lamp or a puddle lamp. i thought the puddle lamps are present on the doors panels, front and rear bumpers' sides. the ones in the swifts and wagon Rs (vxi) are rear fog lamps IMO.

AFAIK Maruti calls it as "rear fog lamp" and it exists in Vxi ( which is my car) and Ldi ( which is my friends car).

As @Mag has expained, the headlight has to be switched on, then the separate control alongside has to be switched on;you can see the corresponding indicator illuminated in the instrument panel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 749486)
Woow mag,i never knew this,I believe its the same case with many swift owners too.Thanks for the info buddie.
ram

Its the same even in the SX4. The SX4 has only 1 reverse lamp i.e. in the LHS tail light cluster. In the RHS cluster, the reverse lamp is missing and that place is used as a Rear Fog Lamp and the procedure to put it on is the same as in the Swift.

Cheers

Thanks Mag, it was indeed a revelation to me reg. the process of switching it on. Will try this out.
I cannot understand why the User Manual is silent about all this..

Still confused ..what can this be used for ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2theMax (Post 749704)
Still confused ..what can this be used for ?

hmm..Thats a question:) I can just think that 'its just another tail lamp'.:Frustrati
To be frank, I have never thought it as much useful. Still I switch it on when I hit highway / fog.