Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 10:43   #1
BHPian

Driving comfort - especially for a short person

Hi,

We TD Santro, and Palio Stile 1.1 SLX, back-to-back. My wife feels that in the Palio, her right leg hit the steering wheel column as she tries to shift between the brake and the accelerator. This problem was not observed in a Santro, as the distance between the driver seat and the accelerator is less than that of a Palio. She has learnt car driving on a Santro, and hence is comfortable in a Santro (she is a new driver, BTW).

My question is: will it be possible to mitigate the issue my wife has with the steering column? Is it because of her comfort level with the Santro, she feels odd with the Palio? Will it be possible to "adjust" her seating position, and her leg position once she regularly drives a Palio?

With the Palio seat moved ahead, she can comfortably floor the accelerator though, but the steering column touches her right leg. :-|

If this will be a persistent problem, then we may have to do away with the Palio, and opt for some other car. Now, both of us did like Palio more than the Santro - for riding quality, cabin quieteness, and space.

I would appreciate views from BHP members', especially if you or your spouse is short, and how to overcome such difficulty? This will be crucial for our decision to buy or not to buy the Palio. Thanks in advance.

-choombak

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th March 2008 at 10:45.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would say try Alto or other similar vehicles which has sunk-in seats so that the legs reach out properly.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had issues with my knee touching the centre console sides. Pretty annoying at times.

Was your wife sitting on top a cushion ?
Why would I need to lift his/her leg all the way up to brake the car? Looks like she needs to adjust her seating posture to avoid this.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Was your wife sitting on top a cushion ?
Why would I need to lift his/her leg all the way up to brake the car? Looks like she needs to adjust her seating posture to avoid this.
No, she was not on top of a cushion, but had pulled the seat all the way ahead. She needed it ahead in order to floor the clutch completely. My hunch is the same too - she needs to adjust her seating position, and because she is a new driver (learnt on a Santro, about four months ago) she may be feeling uncomfortable.

Thanks for the reply, we may TD the Stile and particularly note this factor this time.

-choombak
Old 19th March 2008, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Thanks for all those who replied. We took another TD, and this time she was more comfortable and could handle the car very well. So I guess it is really a posture and habit issue.

-choombak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks