Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 18:36   #1
BHPian

Windscreen Defogger Problem in My Accent

Dear Friends,

I own a Hyundai Accent GLS 2000 model. Whenever I turn on just the fan (blower) and not press the AC switch specifically, while the blower switch is directed to the windscreen defogger mode or to the windscreen defogger cum blower to the legs mode, the AC automatically turns on.

In any mode other than windscreen defogger, if i have the blower pointed to legs, or face, or both face and legs etc, AC turns on only when i specifically turn on the AC switch. Otherwise just the blower runs - which is normal.

I understand that AC turning on automatically in the windscreen defogger mode is not normal. AC should turn on only when I specifically press the AC button, right?

Please confirm if I have got it right? If so, what must be the problem? Do I have to rectify it or is it a rule that the windscreen defogger is operated only with the AC and I should not bother about it?

I look forward to your kind responses. If there are any doubts as to my problem, please seek clarifications. I would be glad to give further information.

Regards,
Harsha
Old 26th March 2008, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Harsha,

AC has nothing to do with rear defogger.
I dont know about accent but my spark has a separate button for starting defogger.
I can even turn on defogger when engine is not running.

Accent owners - please add your comment.
Old 26th March 2008, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Accent does have a seperate button for the rear defogger.

EDIT:

@djay99: Just noticed that he meant the windshield not the rear defoggger.

@harsha: I guess the AC is required for the demister to run, though I have never noticed this. Im clueless.

Last edited by amitwiz1 : 26th March 2008 at 19:17.
Old 26th March 2008, 19:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

if its working like that, its a good thing i say. AC will help defogging and i think we are speaking of front windshield defogging here???
Old 26th March 2008, 19:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Dear Friends,

I own a Hyundai Accent GLS 2000 model. Whenever I turn on just the fan (blower) and not press the AC switch specifically, while the blower switch is directed to the windscreen defogger mode or to the windscreen defogger cum blower to the legs mode, the AC automatically turns on.

In any mode other than windscreen defogger, if i have the blower pointed to legs, or face, or both face and legs etc, AC turns on only when i specifically turn on the AC switch. Otherwise just the blower runs - which is normal.

I understand that AC turning on automatically in the windscreen defogger mode is not normal. AC should turn on only when I specifically press the AC button, right?

Please confirm if I have got it right? If so, what must be the problem? Do I have to rectify it or is it a rule that the windscreen defogger is operated only with the AC and I should not bother about it?

I look forward to your kind responses. If there are any doubts as to my problem, please seek clarifications. I would be glad to give further information.

Regards,
Harsha
What happens when you turn the temperature knob to red?

Is the a/c still on?
Old 27th March 2008, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Dear Friends,
Thanks for your very quick responses.
Just to clarify, I am speaking of the front windshield defogger and not the rear defogger.
I agree with Jaggu that AC will help the defogging, but there would be cases when i would not like to compromise on the pick up by turning on the AC (eg. driving in the ghats).
I think the AC is still on even when the knob is turned to red. I shall check it again and reconfirm. Also, in addition to my other questions, please tell me if the knob is turned to red, does it still burden the engine as the AC is on?
Regards,
Harsha
Old 27th March 2008, 12:58   #7

In your accent when you put windscreen defogger mode or to the windscreen defogger cum blower to the legs mode, the AC automatically turns on which is normal in the accent.It help to defog the windscreen.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandeep View Post
In your accent when you put windscreen defogger mode or to the windscreen defogger cum blower to the legs mode, the AC automatically turns on which is normal in the accent.It help to defog the windscreen.
Dear Sandeep, are you sure it is normal in the Accent? My friend who also owns an Accent told me otherwise. Nor does the manual say any such thing. Kindly do confirm.
Thanks anyway for your response.
Regards, Harsha
Old 27th March 2008, 21:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is the first time I am hearing about this 'compulsory' AC mode. I've not seen any car where you are left with no option for turning on the AC. However, since I've never owned an Accent, please consult Hyundai guys, they could clarify your points.
Old 28th March 2008, 14:46   #10
BHPian

yes, it is the first time even i have seen such a thing... accent owners - anyone who can confirm if this is the case in their car too?
other T-bhpians, what could be wrong here? does it need to be rectified?
Old 28th March 2008, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandeep View Post
I own an Accent, and this is a strange case to me! I've never seen the AC ON when I use the above mentioned mode. I repeat, the AC does not turn ON unless otherwise I depress the AC switch. When u use the above mode and press AC switch, cold air comes from the floor vents and hot air from the dashboard vents, that's it.

giga
Old 28th March 2008, 19:46   #12
BHPian

Check one thing out...is the a/c actually turning on?

Or is the light just coming on?

You can put your car in neutral and try to see if the rpm goes up.

If not it could be a problem with the wiring of the switch...
Old 31st March 2008, 11:33   #13
BHPian

To do or not to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Check one thing out...is the a/c actually turning on?

Or is the light just coming on?

You can put your car in neutral an d try to see if the rpm goes up.

If not it could be a problem with the wiring of the switch...
Thanks friend, the AC is surely turning on. I can figure that from the rpm and the vibration too. So i guess the problem is with the wiring!
Now the next question is whether i need to set it right. As a rule, the defogger have to be turned on with the AC in order to function normally? If so, i will let it remain so. Else, i will have to visit my auto elec!
Thanks and looking forward to your response,
Harsha
Old 31st March 2008, 20:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Thanks friend, the AC is surely turning on. I can figure that from the rpm and the vibration too. So i guess the problem is with the wiring!
Now the next question is whether i need to set it right. As a rule, the defogger have to be turned on with the AC in order to function normally? If so, i will let it remain so. Else, i will have to visit my auto elec!
Thanks and looking forward to your response,
Harsha
If you go to hill stations, you would need the defogger to be switched to 'Hot' mode.

Otherwise, I think it is fine.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:33   #15
BHPian

Almost there!

Dear Friends,
I had been to the Hyundai free car care clinic. I checked this AC issue with them. They said this was the default setting in the earlier versions of accent. Then they changed it to the standard one where you had to switch on the AC for yourself. But again these days, in the latest models, they have changed back to the same setting wherein the AC would automatically turn on upon switching on the windscreen defogger.
I guess that almost sorts out my issue. Thanks for all the help.
But the final OK - Tested seal from Tbhpians remains. Anyone owning a new model accent or 2000 model accent for confirmation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks