Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 22:01   #1
BHPian

On my 3 yr old Petra I have started hearing slight humm and a little metal grinding sound from engine when I release the gas pedal. Seems relatively prominent in 1st and 2nd gear. I am planning to go to Malik motors. Apprehensive about opening the engine, this is what the service adviser told me.

My present service engineer (a generalist, Maruti/ Tata authorized guy) told me it may have to do with bearings for tensioners in the engine. Malik service adviser told me the same thing. The generalist could not work on this because the Fiat engine apparently needs automation equipment for this kind of issues.

Can Gurus throw some light on why this could be happening? I am not sure about competence of Malik Motors in even regular services for Fiat models, leave aside opening the engine.

Any experiences and technicalities will help. I have an appointment with these guys on 14th morning, advices before that are greatly appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated folks

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2008 at 00:37. Reason: merged. No need to follow up a topic within 1 hour of posting. Please wait for a while.
Old 13th April 2008, 08:23   #2
BANNED

if am not wrong generally grinding noise are made by worn bearings .
Old 13th April 2008, 12:33   #3
BHPian

I will be surprised if this has happened in just under 25K KMs run.
Old 13th April 2008, 22:30   #4
BHPian

Another input. This humm/ slight metal sound seems to be coming only when gears are engaged, if gas pedal is pressed without gears engaged I do not hear any thing.
Old 14th April 2008, 06:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you hear it only on deceleration it might be your CV joints. I dont know about the Palio, but in some cars this can also be caused by a broken rear engine mount (if its occurring when you repeatedly go on/off the gas).
Old 17th April 2008, 22:29   #6
BHPian

Went to Malik Motors today at 9 A.M. I was asked to be there by 9:30 A.M. The workshop looked clean and neat, the service folks looked more professional. In to details of service requests:

problems:

1. Seat belt anchor not returning properly many times: no parts, need to replace seat belts package completely.

2. Noise probably from rear seat upon going over curves: Thinks its the seat not unfolded correctly, the problem resurfaces while returning from there.

3. Metallic sound and a little hum upon engine braking: Waited for team lead, TL does not show up until 10 A.M. I asked if the guy himself can check it out, gives some vague explanation. So the guy gets a manager. We go on a trial, I am surprised if the guy heard the same noise I heard. Had to point him many times and request him to focus. Finally says its return bearing in clutch, not a problem. I am still not sure if he heard the noise I heard and understood the problem at all, not confidence inspiring. Wants me to replace the whole clutch assembly, praises Petra 1.6 engine.

After returning to workshop these guys want to do general service (or 25K service), mention the same thing quite a few times. I tell them I will come back after a pending long trip, may be after 15 days or so. These guys wanted to know if the car needs oil change, told them not required now.

Overall experience:

Workshop looked well equipped and neat.
Clean and neat toilets and customer lounge.
Service and knowledge of folks: not confidence inspiring yet.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:31   #7
BHPian

A little vibration and shudder felt at times, one of the workshop guys tells me to get engine mounts checked. Can any one let me know if this is a high skill job or a slam dunk one.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Engine mount change takes around 5 minutes and is an easy job, atleast in the indica(go) family
Old 7th May 2008, 19:58   #9
BHPian

Do you have any issues with changing gears - grating sound etc? From symptoms described, first suspicion would be the synchromesh cones in the gearbox, usually it is the 1st and 2nd gear cones which goes first, and if loose, could cause some noise, along with a difficult gearchange.
Old 9th May 2008, 23:25   #10
BHPian

There is no difficulty in changing gears, nor there is a grating sound. The sound is a very low pitched metallic one while releasing gas pedal, the guy suspected it is return bearing in clutch. I seem to be sold off on engine mounting becoming weak because I feel there is a little shudder from stop to move, after changing gears and probable movement/ shift of weight in the nose (of course the car's). Not sure if it is psychological.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:28   #11
BHPian

I had the exact same 'soft' grinding sound problem in my GTX at 25,000 KM. The clutch release bearing was changed and the problem was sorted. The total cost was about Rs. 800 or so. So I am not sure why the A.S.S. people are telling you that the whole clutch assy has to be changed, as it sounds like a lot of money.

Another check you can do to figure out it the 'faulty release bearing' theory is true: try taking the clutch through its travel range when the sound is coming. If the sound changes in pitch and intensity as you do so, it is another indicator that the release bearing is the culprit.
Old 17th May 2008, 20:05   #12
BHPian

Vipul I will try what you said. At present it seems this could have been due to low grade oil 10W40 used instead of recommended 15W40 and brand. Malik guys did full oil changes and checked the ECU, etc.. every thing seems fine per them. There are signs of the same noise going down. I tend to believe with this theory because the engine oil was almost turning black when I checked it on the dip stick. Infact the other workshop folks filled 1 litre more of engine oil some time ago. I will be trying the route you took if the noise does not go away.

Last edited by sreenivass : 17th May 2008 at 20:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks