Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2005, 02:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

if the person's a serious driver and knows what it is....its a tachometer.

for some....its just another "big meeter".

this is my opinion
Old 13th June 2005, 09:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey nitrous is right.there are so many people who dont know what a tachometer is.

by the way how much does a tachometer cost.dont want something to fancy or expensive.just want one which is accurate and will last and where can i get it in mumbai ??

rev
Old 13th June 2005, 10:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
and no,u dont have to change the dashboard.u just have to drill 2 holes for the mounting screws at a convenient place on the dashboard and another smallhole for the wires to pass into the engine compartment
But don't you also have to cut the dashboard piece to mount the tacho? A hole needs to be cut. Atleast that is what I think.

Otherwise, agree with you and RX on the reasons for the need for a tacho.
Old 13th June 2005, 17:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If your mom is not using tacho, may be you should "educate" her about it. Good for your car
indeed...when we got our car I told my wife to shift before 2k rpm in the run-in period (she didnt have a clue abt tachos, rev bands etc ) but now she has got into a habit to shift around the 2k mark which is good in the city and possibly the cause of some decent fuel economy too
Old 13th June 2005, 18:10   #20
BANNED

Well i think tacho is a must and lady drivers dont care about meters so much but its high time they get the clue.. thats a reason why you can easily beat a female driver since she has no clue that how far her engine will revv as she doesnot care about the tacho..

I hate santro since it doesnot have a TACHO ***.. ABS but no tacho..
Old 13th June 2005, 18:10   #21
BANNED

Tacho a must

Well i think tacho is a must and lady drivers dont care about meters so much but its high time they get the clue.. thats a reason why you can easily beat a female driver since she has no clue that how far her engine will revv as she doesnot care about the tacho..

I hate santro since it doesnot have a TACHO ***.. ABS but no tacho..
Old 13th June 2005, 18:24   #22
BHPian

a couple of points maybe

1) for a lower gear (2nd or 3rd) and a higher speed ( relatively) the Tacho shows a higher RPM. If the engine sound is well damped and does not enter into the cabin, the tacho helps in knowing that u are in a lower gear . One look at the tacho and u know that u have to change to a higher gear ( 4th or 5th). Useful for dummies..like us

2) To know and set the idle RPM ( in a bike it helps donno how its done in a car!

3) To diagonise the vehicle for any engine problem symptoms...u may feel some noises/ performance issues at a certain RPM. Tachometer RPM can be a reference.

In the end it's not a show stopper feature but helps in a certain way to take care of the car.

One more thing: Are the tachometer's calibrated perfectly without any TAcho errors as i have rarely heard some one talk about a tacho error

Hurry Home
Old 13th June 2005, 20:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
hey nitrous is right.there are so many people who dont know what a tachometer is.

by the way how much does a tachometer cost.dont want something to fancy or expensive.just want one which is accurate and will last and where can i get it in mumbai ??

rev

well lot of external tachometers are available in the market and they are definately very expensive going for like 20-25k with a shift light another nice function so one does not have to look at the tacho....set it on a particular rpm and the light blinks so you know when to shift!!!
Old 13th June 2005, 21:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing: Are the tachometer's calibrated perfectly without any TAcho errors as i have rarely heard some one talk about a tacho error
When i had the Vtec connected to a ECM gauge (shows all the engine parameters), the tacho had no error at all. But the garage guy did mention that some other cars (didn't mention the make) have had a slight error.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th June 2005 at 21:25.
Old 13th June 2005, 21:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrikar
well lot of external tachometers are available in the market and they are definately very expensive going for like 20-25k with a shift light another nice function so one does not have to look at the tacho....set it on a particular rpm and the light blinks so you know when to shift!!!
hey its really not that expensive ..i have seen tachos with shift lights going for 3.5ks..and a bigger one going for around 5-6ks.
Old 14th June 2005, 00:48   #26
BHPian

Good thread! I never knew tachos can be bought as an after fitment.

Now, the question is whether the manufacturer give in the manual at what RPMs gear should ideally be changed?

M
Old 14th June 2005, 01:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, the question is whether the manufacturer give in the manual at what RPMs gear should ideally be changed?
The manual usually refers to shift points, based on speedo reads rather than tacho reads.

Shan2nu
Old 14th June 2005, 01:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Skamb,

Well a tachometer is definitely NOT required.
They have just recently become a stock fitment on most cars, but for decades people have driven cars without the aid of a tacho.

If you are looking at driving your getz like most people do....ie normally, theres no real reason why you should opt for the tach model based only on that feature, or waste time and money adding an external tach.

cya
R
I would tend to agree with Rehaan. There is no real reason why you should opt for a model based on the reason that it has a tacho. I've had Tachos in almost all my cars so far and I've never even glanced at them...if I over-rev occassionally the rev limiter kicks in.

There are enthusiasts who shift by the tacho, but for a normal driver who is more bothered about getting himself from one end f the city to another I doubt if it has any use whatsoever. They might as well use the money saved on that (if any) on other useful features...

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th June 2005 at 01:30.
Old 14th June 2005, 04:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

For a guy who knows the car engine well it is not imp.Sometimes in situations like drag racing people use it to determine exact shift time.Now even that is replaced by a gearshift light.Yet nothin is fun like a tachometer for racing.

It also helps in improving fuel efficiency by checking that you are not racing your engine enough.It also helps in identifying if something is wrong with the engine.

I think A car should have a tachometer
Old 15th June 2005, 21:42   #30
BANNED

Quote:
There are enthusiasts who shift by the tacho, but for a normal driver who is more bothered about getting himself from one end f the city to another I doubt if it has any use whatsoever.
Well normally speaking it is important from FE point of view. Like i have decided not to take car above this RPM or so for FE reasons but without a tacho you cant do that..

Also if by mistake you shift into wrong gear you can look at the Tacho and judge which gear the car is in by looking at engine speed and car speed..

For me Tacho a must.. Almost all cars have it.. though Maruti are cheap enough not to provide in Lxi versions of all its cars..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks