Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 23:33   #1

Sudden fall of RPM in my Indigo marina..help..

Hi all,

My one month old purchase (used indigo marina D, 2005 make) has this unique problem, when the car heats up to the half way mark on the heat gauge the car looses a lot of its pulling power. The car has to be revved hard to get moving in the wheel to wheel traffic or inclines and after crossing speed breakers especially with the a/c on. I have also noticed that the RPM level falls when I let go the clutch i.e., I rev the car to 2k RPM to get it moving and as soon as I let go off the clutch the RPM drops to anywhere between 800 to 1000 RPM. I this common in all indigos or my car has some problem.

I had got the clutch plates replaced about 20 days back after which I had driven about 2000 km most of it on highway, so I guess that would not be the problem.

Mileage - 37800 km
make - 2005 april
Last service with oil and coolant change - March 2008 @ 35000 km (when purchased)
Oil filter and diesel were not changed as the mechanic said they were in pretty good shape (earlier service was done around 32000 km)
Have checked the oil and coolant level, they are OK.

Please help as this is really causing a lot of pain in city driving
Old 21st April 2008, 02:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

RPM drops once you disengage the clutch (push the pedal down) but once it is reengaged (after letting go of the pedal) the rpms go upto the required levels. No cause of concern there. But if after heating up you are feeling a loss of power even when in the proper gear, consult the Tata dealer near you.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Were you driving a petrol vehicle earlier? If so, you must be comparing the engine responses unwittingly. Take it easy, a diesel, especially in a heavier station wagon, is slower off the block - quite evident since to get the same acceleration you are taking it to 2000rpm.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its seems like a clutch problem, since you have changed it 20 days ago. Its ruled out.
But do go to the same mechanic and get your clutch settings done.
Old 21st April 2008, 15:10   #5
BHPian

Hard to really comment on this problem without seeing the car in question, but it certainly does not look to be a clutch problem. This is what you can do:

1. TD some other Indigo / Marina diesel and see how it behaves.

2. Get your car checked by an authorised Tata service center. If there is something wrong, the fuel pump or turbo could be the culprit.

Please update us once you find the source of this problem.
Old 21st April 2008, 22:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
RPM drops once you disengage the clutch (push the pedal down) but once it is reengaged (after letting go of the pedal) the rpms go upto the required levels. No cause of concern there. But if after heating up you are feeling a loss of power even when in the proper gear, consult the Tata dealer near you.
Nomad

That is my concern..the car does not act normal. What happens in my car is the other way round..when the clutch is engaged the RPM is normal (or high if revved) but when i disengage the clutch to move the car RPM falls back to almost idle..and this is very evident when the car heats up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Were you driving a petrol vehicle earlier? If so, you must be comparing the engine responses unwittingly. Take it easy, a diesel, especially in a heavier station wagon, is slower off the block - quite evident since to get the same acceleration you are taking it to 2000rpm.
I used to drive a palio D prior to marina..there is absolutely no comparison to a petrol car..i just used to disengage the clutch to move the palio, no acceleration required

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Hard to really comment on this problem without seeing the car in question, but it certainly does not look to be a clutch problem. This is what you can do:

1. TD some other Indigo / Marina diesel and see how it behaves.

2. Get your car checked by an authorised Tata service center. If there is something wrong, the fuel pump or turbo could be the culprit.

Please update us once you find the source of this problem.
Thats what I finally plan to do..drive another indigo/marina. Will take it to the auth service center tomorrow as you say..lets hope those chaps could help me.

Will keep you updated
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Nomad

That is my concern..the car does not act normal. What happens in my car is the other way round..when the clutch is engaged the RPM is normal (or high if revved) but when i disengage the clutch to move the car RPM falls back to almost idle..and this is very evident when the car heats up
Boom - I think here is a confusion. How can you disengage the clutch to move your car? You mean to take off the foot from clutch pedal to move the car? That is actually engaging the clutch. By default, when the pedal is not depressed the clutch is in engaged state. The transmission is applied from engine/gearbox to final drivetrain only when clutch is engaged (when the pedal is not depressed down). When we depress down the pedal then actually clutch gets dis-engaged and the engine/gearbox is also dis-engaged from the final drive. Clutch is what makes the engine output to drive the final drive and it should be engaged to do so. When we dis-engage the clutch (the pedal is pushed down / the lever is pressed in bikes) the clutch gets disengaged and the drive is free from engine. I am telling this because I feel you have thought it other way around. You statement "when the clutch is engaged the RPM is normal (or high if revved)" also make me think so. Else how can you rev hard while clutch is actually engaged (pedal not depressed)? Car will move fast na? Please clarify.

Last edited by redfire : 22nd April 2008 at 04:44.
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Boom - I think here is a confusion. How can you disengage the clutch to move your car? You mean to take off the foot from clutch pedal to move the car? That is actually engaging the clutch. By default, when the pedal is not depressed the clutch is in engaged state. The transmission is applied from engine/gearbox to final drivetrain only when clutch is engaged (when the pedal is not depressed down). When we depress down the pedal then actually clutch gets dis-engaged and the engine/gearbox is also dis-engaged from the final drive. Clutch is what makes the engine output to drive the final drive and it should be engaged to do so. When we dis-engage the clutch (the pedal is pushed down / the lever is pressed in bikes) the clutch gets disengaged and the drive is free from engine. I am telling this because I feel you have thought it other way around. You statement "when the clutch is engaged the RPM is normal (or high if revved)" also make me think so. Else how can you rev hard while clutch is actually engaged (pedal not depressed)? Car will move fast na? Please clarify.
Yes I got confused there..but you got the point..thanks
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Hi all,

My one month old purchase (used indigo marina D, 2005 make) has this unique problem, when the car heats up to the half way mark on the heat gauge the car looses a lot of its pulling power. The car has to be revved hard to get moving in the wheel to wheel traffic or inclines and after crossing speed breakers especially with the a/c on. I have also noticed that the RPM level falls when I let go the clutch i.e., I rev the car to 2k RPM to get it moving and as soon as I let go off the clutch the RPM drops to anywhere between 800 to 1000 RPM. I this common in all indigos or my car has some problem.

I had got the clutch plates replaced about 20 days back after which I had driven about 2000 km most of it on highway, so I guess that would not be the problem.

Mileage - 37800 km
make - 2005 april
Last service with oil and coolant change - March 2008 @ 35000 km (when purchased)
Oil filter and diesel were not changed as the mechanic said they were in pretty good shape (earlier service was done around 32000 km)
Have checked the oil and coolant level, they are OK.

Please help as this is really causing a lot of pain in city driving
I've seen threads mentioning that a gear oil seal could cause loss of power on inclines.

Does your car idle normally even when hot. I mean rpm speed, missing etc.
Old 23rd April 2008, 20:27   #10
BHPian

When you disengage the clutch (depress the pedal), the load on the engine reduces, assuming you are travelling on a level road or uphill. If the accelerator pedal position is not changed, the revs will increase.
If you are going downhill, the revs will drop as the wheels stop trying to drive the engine.
The symptoms on your vehicle looks like something in the drivetrain (after the gearbox), probably the brakes is causing a lot of resistance. First of all, do check if any of your brakes (wheel hubs) are overheating after a short drive.

Also check for presence of any oil in the coolant system, which could point to a blown head gasket.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Any update on this? Has the issue been resolved, if yes what was the problem?
Old 13th August 2009, 14:12   #12
BHPian

check with various dealers , try to get the previous service history if any...I think there might have been an ODO manipulation...I am just going by the kms driven in 3years for some one who bought a diesel tata indigo!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks