Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 22:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Most probably clutch. I am also thinking whether the burning smell could be from tyres failing to grip the road, which is possible on a dirt track or if tyres are worn out.
1. It was not a dirt Track.
2. Front Pair was the GT3 Goodyear tubeless, which I got installed just before leaving Delhi, and the rear pair is also same tyre, had done around 5k km only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Was your car running with low tire preasure and more than 5 heavy adults
we were 3 Adults, two of us Extra heavy, however the total load was not in excess of 350 Kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shashank, your Esteem might not be suffering from a damaged clutch plate.
Before you do that, you could have the timing altered (possibly advanced).
The problem is: How would you test whether this has 'solved' the problem?
You'd have to go to Shimla again (Oh what a wonderful idea!).
Well the clutch is quite hard, I am used to it, however when someone else drives it they feel the difference, and when I drive other cars, I can also feel the difference.
Old 22nd May 2008, 00:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
we were 3 Adults, two of us Extra heavy, however the total load was not in excess of 350 Kg
Well I was going to say something but I think I'll save it for the meet on friday!
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the clutch is quite hard, I am used to it, however when someone else drives it they feel the difference, and when I drive other cars, I can also feel the difference.
As other also pointed out, clutch seems to be culprit. However, you may have to check if entire clutch requires replacement or only the essentials will do the job.

Do not take the car to the service center, they'll change the entire clutch without even bothered to get the clutch condition checked.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

The only car i know which will have trouble climbing a hill will be the Maruti 1000.Simply becuase it was seriously under powered for it's size.(45 BHP).Really cant figure why a esteem would have trouble climbing a hill if you can do a 140 on a level road why can't ypu do a 40 on a incline
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Do not take the car to the service center, they'll change the entire clutch without even bothered to get the clutch condition checked.
Yes I know, and anyhow its too old to be visiting *** now...local mechanics are good enough...infact he only asked me not to get the clutch done, as use it for as long as it works and get it changed later..

Anyhow, we are meeting in the meetup...cheers: you might feel it yourself..
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

: This has give us the theme for our meet on 23rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well I was going to say something but I think I'll save it for the meet on friday!
Quote:
Anyhow, we are meeting in the meetup...cheers: you might feel it yourself..
Please see this post for more details -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...tml#post838358

(No offense meant Shashank)
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The only car i know which will have trouble climbing a hill will be the Maruti 1000.Simply becuase it was seriously under powered for it's size.(45 BHP).Really cant figure why a esteem would have trouble climbing a hill if you can do a 140 on a level road why can't ypu do a 40 on a incline
Sumeet, it is not as simple as the BHP alone.
Remember that the same engine did duty in the Gypsy of yore!

The old carburetted Maruti Zen was notorious for failing to climb steep gradients with 4 people in the car. It was utterly incapable of starting from standstill on steep gradients.
I used to see many stalled on the last two gradients of the hairpin bends just before Kufri, Shimla. Also, the very steep private driveway/road leading to Galleu Resort near Fagu was an absolute no no for the old Zens.

What Shashank has not exactly clarified is whether there seemed to be a 'lack of power' or whether it felt more like the power was not getting transferred to the wheels.
If it is the former, timing could be the culprit. If the latter, the clutch plate seems suspect.

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd May 2008 at 10:31.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
(No offense meant Shashank)
Its already taken Dada..
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
: This has give us the theme for our meet on 23rd
Indeed. There is no problem that a wee bit of rum in the right place cannot solve!
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The only car i know which will have trouble climbing a hill will be the Maruti 1000.

Tell me about it. I had taken my M-1000 to coorg & drove down a slope to my friend's house. I had a tough time taking it back up onto the road.

But a poorly tuned esteem can also find it tough to climb basically due to the gearing, there is just no power at low RPMs. Looking at it this way, i dont think you need to touch the clutch as of now. But do get your engine tuned by a good esteem mechanic. (Air fuel ratio, timing, plugs etc)
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Looking at it this way, i dont think you need to touch the clutch as of now. But do get your engine tuned by a good esteem mechanic. (Air fuel ratio, timing, plugs etc)
Got it all done around couple of months back...

But here me must also consider the burning smell factor..
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Had a similar issue on a slope up Tadiyanmol in Coorg in the OHC1.3, but we were 4 adults and 4 kids crammed in the car! Backed into a flat stretch to the side, revved hard and ensured tyres always had a little less of a gradient going sideways rather than straight up, and the momentum ensured we got past. I guess that particular instance had to do with inertia more than anytthing (and of course the weight inside!)
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:24   #43
BHPian

Could it be due to less fuel in the fuel tank? If there is less fuel there might be some splashing, and coupled with the steep gradient, air might get trapped thus affecting fuel delivery.
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Could it be due to less fuel in the fuel tank? If there is less fuel there might be some splashing, and coupled with the steep gradient, air might get trapped thus affecting fuel delivery.
Well the tank had about 20-25 liters of Fuel...I know this because I drove for another 230-250 KM before getting more fuel.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Indeed. There is no problem that a wee bit of rum in the right place cannot solve!
So Sir, will we have the pleasure of seeing you at the meet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks