Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2005, 07:40   #46

I started filling "Speed" in my Brand new Santro Xing..The car used to knock so much and the power actually dropped. The Hyundai service center advised me to stop using high octane fuel and instead use the additives.
I used the Bardahl additive(sold by dealer) and found a significant increase in power. ..the bottle cost Rs200/- and would last two tank fulls...(mix ratio specified by dealer)
Old 18th November 2005, 10:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
I kept a bottle of STP Octane booster handy (Speed 97 is not available in Jaipur),
Can you plz provide details on this? Does this really boost the Octane level of the fuel( hard to believe). How is this different from the IFTEX G system additive - that are used for cleaning the injector pumps?

Quote:
I started filling "Speed" in my Brand new Santro Xing..The car used to knock so much and the power actually dropped. The Hyundai service center advised me to stop using high octane fuel and instead use the additives.
This is really getting nowhere. We have some people who claim that Speed, Power are better - increase mileage and the car knocks less. But here someone is suggesting on the contrary.

How can a car engine knock more -when using additives to the fuel with the same octane level ( 87 Oct for Speed, Power)

I am using 91 Octane IOC Xtra Premium since the last 2 months in the Baleno and am reasonably happy. Never tried Speed 93 though.

Last edited by imjimmy : 18th November 2005 at 10:39.
Old 18th November 2005, 12:25   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajalphonso
Any Update on the FE after tanking up on 97? coz its 10 bucks more than petrol with additives, just looking for feedback before i tank up.
I suspect an increase from about 7kmpl to about 7.5kmpl. have not calculated if it's worth the difference though.
Old 18th November 2005, 12:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

I've tried both 93 and 91 on my Vtec. Didn't find any diff between the 2 fuels. 91 works as efficiently as 93, on my car.

Shan2nu
Old 18th November 2005, 13:10   #50
BHPian

Speed 97 is available at most big BPCL outlets in Delhi. The Pushpanjali bunk at Vasant Kunj (Near The Grand) has it. So does the all women's fuel pump at Moti Bagh... and the one opposite the PM's house as well.

This fuel energizer thing is a couple of magnets (costs around Rs 1200 if I remember right).. that are strapped on to the fuel inlet line. The Fucon dealership is at Green Park (next to the Reva showroom).
Old 18th November 2005, 13:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Can you plz provide details on this? Does this really boost the Octane level of the fuel( hard to believe). How is this different from the IFTEX G system additive - that are used for cleaning the injector pumps?

This is really getting nowhere. We have some people who claim that Speed, Power are better - increase mileage and the car knocks less. But here someone is suggesting on the contrary.

How can a car engine knock more -when using additives to the fuel with the same octane level ( 87 Oct for Speed, Power)

I am using 91 Octane IOC Xtra Premium since the last 2 months in the Baleno and am reasonably happy. Never tried Speed 93 though.
STP's Octane Booster is similar to Iftek's System G. The way it works, is that it contains a catalyst that boosts the number of octane rings in fuel (eg. if its added to 91 octane fuel, it should boost it slightly), leading to better combustion.

In fact, Speed 97 is Speed 93 with a healthy dose of Octane boosters added to it. Did you know that BPCL first developed this fuel for use in Sachin Tendulkar's Ferrari, before distributing it to other metros?
Old 18th November 2005, 23:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3939
I used the Bardahl additive(sold by dealer) and found a significant increase in power. ..the bottle cost Rs200/- and would last two tank fulls...(mix ratio specified by dealer)
I think that you probably filled petrol at a pump which dishes out adulterated stuff. Try Indian oil xtra premium 91, you will feel the difference in less than a km of driving.

Please dont beleive these Workshop guys, even Maruti service advisors say that one musnt use petrol with additives, and then they sell you petrol additives like Bardahl. I have tried mixing all these additives but i swear by xtra premium.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 18th November 2005 at 23:28.
Old 19th November 2005, 21:37   #53
BHPian

Speed 93 being phased out !

You know what guys - Bharat Petroleum are slowly discontinuing Speed 93 !!!..
So many Bharat Petroleum outlets which had Speed 93 now have only Speed and Speed 97 !!
Speed 97 is way to expensive for me at Rs60/litre,and my car(New Honda City CVT) uses up lot of fuel,and my daily usage is around 45kms..
What I do now for my City - on every tank full,I tell them to fill up 10 litres of Speed 97 and rest till tank full fill up normal speed.
Normal Speed octane rating is 88 currently,as stated by Bharat Petroleum officials at the headquarters.
Guys - will mixing the two fuels make any difference?..I mean doesn't overall octane rating of Speed (88) increase by mixing with Speed 97 !?..just curious to know.
I am planning to switch over to OIL Xtra Premium..since I think New Honda works well with 90+ octane fuels..probably because of the high 10.5 compression ratio..

sr
Old 19th November 2005, 23:05   #54
cnu
BHPian

I tried Speed and IOC Xtra Premium on my NHC but could not notice any difference compared to the Normal fuel. Now I just fill the Normal one...
Old 23rd November 2005, 23:08   #55
BHPian

Yes I can finally say that there is no greater fuel than 97 octane.. in regular fuels xtra premium 91 is the best. Now im not quite sure i will able to pay an additional 10 bucks per litre every time i tank up, but i simply love the pep with 97... and yes it makes a difference in small cars, ive got a zen.
Old 8th December 2005, 18:46   #56
BHPian

Don't use anything other than normal petrol (unleaded) if you have an MPFI Maruti Zen. I guess that would hold for other MPFI models in Maruti as well. They also do not recommend using additives like Iftex etc at all.

This information was obtained from Maruti's helpline at 1600 11 15 15. If you want more info, you can ask them for a regional number of a service centre who'll be able to explain why etc. I did not bother since my Zen gives 15, and mez happy; and also there were people in office who have friends whose cars supposedly developed engine problems by using a diet of only premium fuel.

I guess the best bet is a regular, reliable pump.
Old 11th February 2006, 12:57   #57
BHPian

hi members which fuel will suit best for fiesta1.6 sxi
Old 15th November 2007, 12:46   #58

fucon fuel energizer--does it really work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but from where do you get speed 97 petrol in Delhi.
And also about Fuel Energizer.. can you give some more details?.. i am asking this because my lxi is starting to give 12-13 kmpl max that too with ac on half the time...

Is the fucon fuel energizer device still available. How is it fixed. can we have a photograph of the engine on which they are installed. Can this be installed on a diesel car

Atul Singhal
Old 15th November 2007, 13:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

The present BS II/Euro II norms for the entire country; and BSIII/Euro III equivalent norms for all private vehicles, city public service vehicles and city CVs for cities of Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune, Surat, Kanpur and Agra.

For Euro III norms at present, I think RON is 91 for normal fuel. You can check this on Indian Oil website. For Toyota cars, Toyota recommends RON 91.
Old 15th November 2007, 13:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The present BS II/Euro II norms for the entire country; and BSIII/Euro III equivalent norms for all private vehicles, city public service vehicles and city CVs for cities of Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune, Surat, Kanpur and Agra.

For Euro III norms at present, I think RON is 91 for normal fuel. You can check this on Indian Oil website. For Toyota cars, Toyota recommends RON 91.
That would also mean that all fuel sold in the cities with Euro III norms has to be at least RON 91.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks