Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:37   #16
BHPian

Re: How to remove these scratches?

joy, please share the shop from where you bought the paint and other materials?
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:00   #17
BHPian

Hey joybhowmik,
Thanks for this Lovely Write up - Opened my eyes .
last week- i got a small dent on the bonnet of my OHC, i count not bare to see here that way, so rushed to various mechanics to get it repaired ,i got it dented back to normal but no paint or filling ,but still suffered a rs 1000 Loss.

Cheers !

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 3rd August 2011 at 13:01.
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I went to a automotive paint shop, and asked him what all is needed for getting the job done. The fellow was very helpful, and even walked out with me to see the car and estimate the right shade of paint for it.
He fixed me up with a 50 gm set of paint, clear coat, thinner, 1 tin of putty, 1 tin of filler, 1 tube of hardener, masking tape, 2 sand-papers (1000 no.), paint primer and a couple of dhotis all for Rs 550.
1. This is something that is going to be so very helpful, thanks!
2. Are you sure your location is Delhi?!! Where on earth did you find this guy who guided you to buy all this stuff for paint correction?
I'd tried doing this last year when I wanted to get my ORVMs painted but was highly demoralized with the responses that I got from all paints shops..."Sir aap nahin karwa sakte aise kaam"..."arre aise kaise samaan bata de kitna lagega, aapko denter/painter ke paas hi jana hoga" etc.
3. Where did you buy the paint etc. from and what brand of paint you bought? Also, where did you get the job done finally?

PS: I still can't believe you got this done in Delhi, bravo!!
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
joy, please share the shop from where you bought the paint and other materials?
Hi - I bought this material from a small shop "City Paints" - it is right next to C Lal Chowk on Ma-Anandamayee marg, New Delhi
Attached a map to help find it- red dot marks the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove these scratches?-citypaints.jpg  

joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Where on earth did you find this guy who guided you to buy all this stuff for paint correction?
@ fine69 - thanks!
Actually, I knew of this shop because last time around (when I had stupidly paid up Rs 2500) the only smart thing I had done, was to accompany the mechanic to the paint shop to satisfy myself of the colour matching.

In my case this shop had his competitor sitting literally next to him. So I took a price quote of the costly items - such as paint before I bought it.

And to be honest, although the mechanic was grumbling a little due to not being able to make a huge profit, the fact that I displayed good knowledge and was standing right next to him, ensured he did the sanding etc. well.

He also recommended me to buy the 3M brand emery paper - because he could sense I wanted only the best for the entire procedure. He later told me, the materials he has in stock are usually the local stuff.

And - that's another benefit - you can choose what you want instead of paying a high price and not getting the best materials.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. Didn't wanna start a new thread, so I thought I'd ask here. A BEST bus carelessly turned and scratched the LHS ORVM of my City as can be seen below :(

Name:  image4025045491.png
Views: 7808
Size:  871.7 KB

Any ideas on whether I should go get it fixed from a body shop or whether I can fix it myself? Any guidance would be a big help and much appreciated. Seeing even 1 scratch saddens me no end.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

@iliketurtles: The scratches are deep and its highly unlikely you can repair without repainting.

However, try this first. Get some rubbing compound / cutting polish and polish the scratched areas. It will get rid of the brown and yellow paint which has rubbed off.

Then use some wax on the effected area. Post the results.

After that, see if you can live with it
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hi guys. Didn't wanna start a new thread, so I thought I'd ask here. A BEST bus carelessly turned and scratched the LHS ORVM of my City as can be seen below :(

Attachment 859379

Any ideas on whether I should go get it fixed from a body shop or whether I can fix it myself? Any guidance would be a big help and much appreciated. Seeing even 1 scratch saddens me no end.

First those residue paint must go before you can asses the damage. Take a microfiber clock ,soak it in a concentrated car wash then place it over the mirror,so that it wets the paint.Let it soak for 15 mins .Later rub the mirror dry using another microfiber.It will remove some of the paint residue atleast.

Then you can use rubbing compound to remove the remaining residue.It will be more effective. If the scratches have penetrated the paint coat and reveal the black/white plastic underneath then repainting is the only option.Otherwise you can use a good scratch remover to hide them
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys will get some rubbing compound, car wash and a microfiber cloth and get to work this weekend. Those scratches honestly dot strike me as that deep, but maybe I'm wrong in my assessment.

On a side note, any particular car wash you guys would recommend?
Old 18th February 2012, 13:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
How to avoid huge garage fees for major scratch removals.

Yesterday due to a slight error in judgement, I ended up with a foot-long deep scratch on the front passenger door of the innova.

My first reaction was to take it right away to the roadside mechanic for getting it fixed - but better sense prevailed.
Thanks for your great write-up joybhowmik!!

Unfortunately, I too got a bad dent and deep scratches on the side skirting of my car yday. Went to a mechanic today morning, he is quoting Rs.2300 for fixing the whole thing, dent and paint..

Then i remembered having seen this thread earlier, and came to refer to it for the procedure you had followed..

Lets see if I can try and emulate your procedure, even if to some extent..

thanks again!
Old 1st July 2014, 17:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have these and numerous scrathes on my civic. I wanted to know what is the best way to get rid of them repaint or 3-m style polishing ?

Thanks all.

How to remove these scratches?-dsc_0271.jpg

How to remove these scratches?-dsc_0272.jpg

How to remove these scratches?-dsc_0273.jpg
Old 28th November 2014, 10:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i have these and numerous scrathes on my civic. I wanted to know what is the best way to get rid of them repaint or 3-m style polishing ?

Thanks all.
First of all, sorry for what has happened. You can start by trying to figure out the depth of the scratches. You can run your thumb nail across the scratch, if your nail slides through the scratch, things are not that bad and the scratch is on the clear coat. These scratches can be removed by most of the paint protection treatments available out there. They merely use a rubbing compound to take the scratch out but this also takes out the clear coat and one has to seal it back. On the other hand, if you nail gets stuck, am afraid the scratch has penetrated past the clear coat into base coat and nothing much can be done about this. If someone tells you that they can fix this without repainting, they are lying. In this case, repainting is the only option. For more info, please go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ods-tools.html
gurudutt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 11:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

I hope this is a right section/ thread for this query.

I waxed my car and parked it in an open area. Waxing gave mirror effect, one of the street dogs climbed on the bonnet and tried to fight with his own reflection. Luckily, I caught it, but the damage was done. MASS gave me quotation of 4000/- for removing these scratches. Isn't that too much?

Its a 4 months old MS Vitara Brezza

What should I do?

How to remove these scratches?-1.jpg

How to remove these scratches?-2.jpg
Old 8th February 2018, 14:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post

Its a 4 months old MS Vitara Brezza

What should I do?
Hi SJM1214,

These marks eventually go away if your car is cleaned regularly but eventually means several months. If you can live with this then don't do anything, else you can use rubbing compound on this area. Please be careful and don't use too much of this compound. It is recommended to use compound with white/light color cloth/applicator. This helps us understand when to stop. These marks would get reduced significantly but might be visible from close.

I always prefer factory finish and try to avoid painting even it means living with scratches. It impossible to match original color.

Its upto you to decide which option you would prefer.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 15:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi SJM1214,
If you can live with this then don't do anything,
Yes! I can live with it, I will try to ignore it but then it is a new car, and who wants to live with this kind of ugly marks on the bonnet of a 4 months old car. I don't know much about the process of compound and rubbing and all. I think I need to do something about this. These marks are not that deep, and that's why I find MASS's estimate of 4k too much. Shouldn't I check with some aftermarket paint job guys?

By the way after this incident, I ordered a TPH cover for my car. Thank you very much for your Input.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks