Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 02:44   #31
BHPian

Quite right

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I believe that there is an auto cut off of A/C while ignition. If it is not so, I need to seriously change my habits!!
There is an AC cut off relay when cranking the engine in all cars with factory fitted AC but not so with after market installs and hence the advice.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:06   #32
BHPian

Well I was just wondering...When I switch on the ignition on my verna there is a kind of upside down "W" on the instrument cluster.. Manual says its some preheating of engine...Do I still need to keep the engine idle for few seconds before taking off.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:42   #33
BHPian

Hey,

Just thought i'd post the start up in case of an auto transmission for our bhpian's. I know it aint much, but still.

Before starting

1. Ensure Hand-Brake is engaged

2. See that your gear is in 'P' (Park) or 'N' (Neutral)

3. Put in key and twist to 2 clicks (You will see the lights engine, battery, oil etc. come on)

4. Wait till lights (Whirring noise of fuel pump) goes off.

5. Start engine and wait a few seconds for it to warm up. (Wear seat-belts, adjust mirrors etc. till then)

6. Before moving the gear lever or releasing the hand-brake, KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL.

7. (Without releasing your foot from the brake pedal) Release hand-brake and shift gear to 'D' (Drive)

8. Slowly release brake pedal and let the car move ahead.

Note -

1. If the ignition is on, always keep brake pedal pressed at all times when hand-brake is not engaged, no matter what mode car is in.

2. Ensure to pull up hand-brake or press brake pedal whever in 'P' Park or 'N' Neutral mode, as the car is free and can move ahead if someone rear-end's you.

3. Never keep transmission on 'D' (Drive) when car is still for a long time, as your transmission is running in first gear. Keep gear in 'N' (Neutral) and shift to 'D' (Drive) whenever needed to move.

This will help save your fuel and also ensure you dont damage your transmission in the long run.

Old 28th May 2008, 11:28   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Racer View Post
Well I was just wondering...When I switch on the ignition on my verna there is a kind of upside down "W" on the instrument cluster.. Manual says its some preheating of engine...Do I still need to keep the engine idle for few seconds before taking off.
Ace Racer!

Right sequence to start the engine??-300pxglowplug.jpg

When you start your car you must turn the key to the position where this light comes on and then wait till it goes off on its own. Only after that happens should you crank & start your car!

Image source / read more here : Glowplug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cya
R
Old 28th May 2008, 14:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
In mpfi engines there is no need to idle the car as is specifically mentioned in the Palio users manual. Idling for any length of time only increases pollution; at the same time do not mash the throttle and only allow for gradual acceleration till normal operating temps are reached and that would mean driving slowly without straining the engine for about 4 to 5 minutes by which time normal operating temps are reached.
PALIO manual says so , but try this for a week & see the differnce.. idle during the first start of the day till the RPM settles down from 1100 to 800 & then observe your drive through out the day, engine feels much smoother all day..

FIAT, always
Old 28th May 2008, 15:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about Palio, but as drpullockaran rightly said, for modern petrol engines, there is no need to idle the car. Infact, it is considered to be a practice which does not add any value to the car and instead adds to the pollution and wastage of fuel. Start the car and drive on slowly till normal operating temp is reached.
Old 28th May 2008, 20:43   #37
BHPian

Thanks for the Info Rehaan.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:08   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
...In mpfi engines there is no need to idle the car as is specifically mentioned in the Palio users manual. Idling for any length of time only increases pollution; ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I dont know about Palio, but as drpullockaran rightly said, for modern petrol engines, there is no need to idle the car. Infact, it is considered to be a practice which does not add any value to the car and instead adds to the pollution and wastage of fuel. Start the car and drive on slowly till normal operating temp is reached.
Well in addition to getting closer to ideal operating temperature - idling also helps getting the lubricants flowing once again - and it helps to do that before putting load on the engine (driving).
Personally i wait a minimum of 10seconds before moving as i feel that is enough time to get some oil up to the head.

cya
R

ps - Youre welcome Ace_Racer.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th May 2008 at 10:12.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

1) Sit in the car.
2) Put it into neutral.
3) Turn the ignition on.
4) Wait for the lights to go off and the fuel punp to get ready.
5) Depress clutch and crank.
6) Release clutch.
7) Idle the car.

At optimum engine temperature without the a/c on, at idle, the vRS uses 0.8 ltrs of fuel/hour.

When I crank it for the 1st time in the morning,the digital display shows that it starts off at 3 ltrs/hour and I wait till it comes down to 1 ltr/ hour and then start off. The engine also slows down by then. This takes about 40-50 seconds.

Initially on crank - the engine feels as if running fast.

I have used as many layman terms as I could to explain.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:58   #40
BHPian

As I park the car faced towards the wall in the parking space, the first move I need to make daily is in reverse always. Is it not recommended?
I have seen people always moving the car slightly forward and then reversing. Is it only a custom, to always start a journey forward? Or is there anything scientific behind doing so?
Old 29th May 2008, 11:24   #41
BHPian

Here's my sequence on my old Ferrari a.k.a 1988 Maruti 800:

1) Walk up to my car.
2) If I am home, usher the meek security guard over. If I am outside, spend 10 minutes pleading "Bhai Sahab, Ek Minute Ither Aye".
3) Explain to the Security Guard or Bhai Sahab the techniques of my home grown 'Launch Control'.
4) Slot the Car in Neutral and turn the ignition to position 2.
5) Open the Door with one foot on the clutch and one foot on the tarmac. Some people call this 'Spread Eagle'.
6) Build up revs by 'leg power' thanks to my one foot and Bhai Sahab's 2 feet on the said tarmac.
7) Throw the car in first awkwardly and hear the mighty beast of a V8 come to life.
8) Pedal to the Metal and wave out a thank you gesture to security guard or Bhai Sahab.
9) Pray Multiple times to Multiple Gods that I do not hit any red lights / speak breakers / potholes / traffic along the way.
10) If prayer fails, restart process - "Bhai Sahab......"

Last edited by vcash : 29th May 2008 at 11:25.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post

1) Walk up to my car.
2) If I am home, usher the meek security guard over. If I am outside, spend 10 minutes pleading "Bhai Sahab, Ek Minute Ither Aye".
3) Explain to the Security Guard or Bhai Sahab the techniques of my home grown 'Launch Control'.
4) Slot the Car in Neutral and turn the ignition to position 2.
5) Open the Door with one foot on the clutch and one foot on the tarmac. Some people call this 'Spread Eagle'.
6) Build up revs by 'leg power' thanks to my one foot and Bhai Sahab's 2 feet on the said tarmac.
7) Throw the car in first awkwardly and hear the mighty beast of a V8 come to life.
8) Pedal to the Metal and wave out a thank you gesture to security guard or Bhai Sahab.
9) Pray Multiple times to Multiple Gods that I do not hit any red lights / speak breakers / potholes / traffic along the way.
10) If prayer fails, restart process - "Bhai Sahab......"

Good show dude, was wondering if anyone uses this technique on the TBHP.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Thats funny..I owned 1989 M800 for two years...I almost got nostalgic reading your start-up steps.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv
the first move I need to make daily is in reverse always. Is it not recommended?
Well, no problems at all if you start your journey in reverse, unless you are the type that believes in wierd superstitions.

However, it is usually suggested that you park in such a way that, when you take the car next, it goes forward. This is more for FE reasons, because on a cold engine, a reverse move uses up more fuel than it would if you were going forward.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
However, it is usually suggested that you park in such a way that, when you take the car next, it goes forward. This is more for FE reasons, because on a cold engine, a reverse move uses up more fuel than it would if you were going forward.
Thats new to me. Always assumed forward = Reverse in terms of FE.
when it comes to technical aspects.

Most Viewed