Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Torque Curve For Safari 2.2 & Scorpio 2.6 CRDe

Does anyone have the torque curves for above mentioned vehicles ?
I wanted to compare the two to gauge engine characteristics.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Here's the one for Safari 2.2l

Name:  2.2l power graph.gif
Views: 18343
Size:  9.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Does anyone have the torque curves for above mentioned vehicles ?
I wanted to compare the two to gauge engine characteristics.
Old 28th May 2008, 06:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

@rb2399 - The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not pictures.

Though the torque curve will give you an overall idea about the two engines, you are discounting the gearboxes, vehicle weight etc.

Take a test drive instead of going in for a deep theoretical study. I did all this nonsensical stuff before I bought my first bike and found it to be a waste of time. Nothing beats a test drive over different types of terrain/road conditions.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@rb2399 - The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not pictures.

Though the torque curve will give you an overall idea about the two engines, you are discounting the gearboxes, vehicle weight etc.

Take a test drive instead of going in for a deep theoretical study. I did all this nonsensical stuff before I bought my first bike and found it to be a waste of time. Nothing beats a test drive over different types of terrain/road conditions.
I have owned Scorpio before and now have 2.2 with me.Somehow I am not getting the feel of "sudden acceleration" in 2.2 that was present in Scoprio.Hence wanted to study the torque curve.
Yes the other aspects like GVW,gearbox do come into picture.
Looks like the torque delivery of Scorpio is flatter like Swift diesel as compared to Safari.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:48   #5
BHPian

Hi, these power & torque curves look interesting...
As far as I know, power is computed by measuring torque (on a dyno) by using the formula Power = Torque * RPM / 5252. So usually, the power & torque curves will intersect (i.e. they're the same) at 5252 RPM. Here they seem to intersect at 2850 RPM, does torque fall off so drastically in a diesel as the revs increase ?
Old 28th May 2008, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, these power & torque curves look interesting...
As far as I know, power is computed by measuring torque (on a dyno) by using the formula Power = Torque * RPM / 5252. So usually, the power & torque curves will intersect (i.e. they're the same) at 5252 RPM. Here they seem to intersect at 2850 RPM, does torque fall off so drastically in a diesel as the revs increase ?
IMHO diesels torque generated is at lower rpm and in case of safari the torque spread is in a very small rpm 1700 to 2700 range. starts higher rpm and ends quite fast

compare this to torque of innova 1400 -3400rpm which starts early ends farther up.

so i its engineering STROKES short and long to create the torque spread.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 28th May 2008 at 11:10.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
compare this to torque of innova 1400 -3400rpm which starts early ends farther up.
Not sure if this is a good comparison, because the Innova produces a peak torque of 200nm (surprisingly low for a 2.5 litre Common Rail engine - even the Swift Diesel produces almost similar peak torque from a 1.3), while in comparison the 2.2 Dicor crosses the 200 nm figure at 1,100 or 1,200 rpm and still produces 250 nm when the torque curve has trailed off completely at 4,000 rpm.

Like someone said before, there are a whole host of factors including absolute torque figures produced (as I have pointed out in the earlier paragraph), vehicle weight, gearing etc - nothing beats a test drive.
Old 28th May 2008, 14:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Not sure if this is a good comparison, because the Innova produces a peak torque of 200nm (surprisingly low for a 2.5 litre Common Rail engine - even the Swift Diesel produces almost similar peak torque from a 1.3), while in comparison the 2.2 Dicor crosses the 200 nm figure at 1,100 or 1,200 rpm and still produces 250 nm when the torque curve has trailed off completely at 4,000 rpm.

Like someone said before, there are a whole host of factors including absolute torque figures produced (as I have pointed out in the earlier paragraph), vehicle weight, gearing etc - nothing beats a test drive.

absolutely.
test drive will help you know whether the torque / power is sufficient for each persons driving requirement.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:23   #9
BHPian

Re: Torque Curve For Safari 2.2 & Scorpio 2.6 CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
...Innova produces a peak torque of 200nm (surprisingly low for a 2.5 litre Common Rail engine - even the Swift Diesel produces almost similar peak torque from a 1.3), while in comparison the 2.2 Dicor crosses the 200 nm figure at 1,100 or 1,200 rpm and still produces 250 nm when the torque curve has trailed off completely at 4,000 rpm.

Apologies for reviving this old thread. My recent experience on Innova 2.5V and a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 gives the same sense. Net net the noise levels in Innova are indeed high at 3500RPM. Safari had its own contribution, albeit wind cutting etc. at 2500RPM, both same speed on the road.

I am curious if there is 'new' knowledge on this and also any comprehensive information source detailing this torque relation ship; of course with relation to all the things such as vehicle weight, gearbox, etc.

More importantly, for me, I am interested in a ranking of diesel vehicles with this charting to compare.
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Torque Curve For Safari 2.2 & Scorpio 2.6 CRDe

The 2.6 of the Scorpio is a torque monster. Plus, the vehicle is geared short. In other words, instant go in any gear at any speed. I drive the old 2.6DI (2wd) and the vehicle was able to climb up both Rohtang and Jalori in second and third gears under full load without missing a beat.

In fact, during the climb up Jalori Pass, the two Innova taxis in our group struggled up in first gear all the way. Ultimately, both of them overheated. Scorpio didn't even break into a sweat.

Scorpio/Thar 2.6, Bolero 2.5DI as well as Sumo/Spacio 3.0, these vehicles are kings of drivability. They may not have the straight line performance we associate with modern high power CRDI diesels. But their ability to deliver dollups of torque at low rpm and sheer load lugging ability is unmatched. Also, these engines being low tech are super rugged. They can work on adulterated diesel and are known to last for lakhs of kilometers with only basic maintenance.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd January 2017 at 23:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks