Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 22:16   #1
BHPian

how does one take apart a strut damper

Hi Everyone,

I have a bunch of Esteem front struts with me lying around (old ones). I wanted to take a peek inside the damper and see how it works. I was wondering how does one take them apart non-destructively.

Any pointers guys on how to do this. I'm the DIY types so would like to take it apart myself :-)

Thanks

Amit.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are many things one can do DIY. Non-destructively taking apart a damper is not one of them. Take it to a machine shop and ask them to use a parting tool near the weld. That's the easiest way I can think of.

The other way would be to remove the flanged sheet metal top somehow. Anyone who rebuilds old shocks should be able to do that for you.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 30th May 2008 at 00:39.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

If they are old struts why do you want to take them apart non-destructively?
Old 31st May 2008, 23:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
There are many things one can do DIY. Non-destructively taking apart a damper is not one of them. Take it to a machine shop and ask them to use a parting tool near the weld. That's the easiest way I can think of.

The other way would be to remove the flanged sheet metal top somehow. Anyone who rebuilds old shocks should be able to do that for you.
I do have access to a machine shop, so i meant doing it myself 'in the machine shop' Thanks , shall try to remove the flanged sheet metal part

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If they are old struts why do you want to take them apart non-destructively?
hmm I want to figure out what exactly happens when the damper goes kaput, and also I want to experiment with trying to fix/rebuild the damper myself.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:46   #5

you go to howitworks.com and you can read about how the strut works. you can save yourself the hassel of opening up the strut

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks