Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:49   #31
BHPian

From the old cars to new ones, under the hood, one difference or i should put it : one gradual transformation is quite evident. The replacement of mechanical components by electrical ones. More and more mechanical parts are being replaced by electronic ones. For the simple reason, that unlike mechanical parts , electrical ones are not prone to error and do not require frequent tune-ups.For example mechanical fuel pumps are replaced with electrical ones, for fuel injection : carburetor replaced with throttle body + EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) , Distributor + Distributor Cap replaced with independent ignition coils directly under ECU. etc.More importantly, with sensors monitoring many things.

I imagine, that in the coming years. We might see the replacement of the camshaft with something(?) that shall allow the ECU direct interface with the opening and closing of valves.That something(?), will allow the ECU to initiate variable valve timing to such an extent , never possible before .Consider the possibilities?. But, then thats just my imagination!!
Old 23rd October 2009, 08:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
From the old cars to new ones, under the hood, one difference or i should put it : one gradual transformation is quite evident. The replacement of mechanical components by electrical ones. ....
Not quite!
Actually what is happening is that the mechanical components are being 'controlled' by electric/electronic systems. Towards this end some mechanical components have been modified to allow for better/faster control.
The engines have thus become far more complex, with a profusion of sensors and controllers.
Old 26th January 2011, 10:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difference between old engines and new engines (petrol and diesel)

Excuse me for reviving this old thread, but I came across it from another thread I was reading and couldn't help but wonder at the figures posted in the news article. While I am not a technical expert on car engines and emissions, I guess we need to also take into account the number of vehicles which have been running on the roads in recent times.

1. Most of the cars are being run in metros and other cities for intra-city commute.
2. Because of the rising numbers of vehicles on the roads, most of these cities are already facing severe congestions.
3. Rising number of vehicles will obviously emit more CO2 even if the individual vehicles were more fuel efficient than the older models.
4. Since the pollution will increase (majorly due to the higher density of vehicles) the vehicles will also be breathing in the polluted air, resulting in further emission increase.

Does anyone have any data on the emissions observed in the hilly areas to compare with those of metros? Can someone confirm if breathing in purer air would improve emissions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks