Team-BHP - What was the average life of your car's brake pads?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   What was the average life of your car's brake pads? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/40503-what-average-life-your-cars-brake-pads-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybhowmik (Post 3525475)
Is Noisiness the only issue- in which case I would ignore it - as it does go away over time.
What kind of complaints did the metro guy talk of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3525896)
Why not open the pads and clean them once to see if the screeching sound happens again.

Anurag.

It does happen and will keep on happening till you are using the pads. I've lived with this terrible screeching sound in my Swift for almost 2 years but without any damage to the discs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiranknair (Post 3527597)
Is there any way for us to really find out if the brake pads are worn out by physical inspection? I mean, in my case I do not trust the authorized service center as he asks to do even unwanted repairs.

Yes there's a marker like one on the tyres to check the life remaining.

Got the front brake pads (set of 4) of my Logan replaced recently during the 60K service. Cost was 2250 with labour charge included. Initially had a feeling that they might have overcharged after I saw a couple of online auto parts sites selling the full brake pad set for amounts starting from about 700 rupees. But a glance through couple of pages on this thread removed my doubt.

I got my Manza's brake pads changed during 40k service last week. I did not have much problem with its braking ability, but got it replaced at my SA's advice. Pad life seemed shorter going by the experience of members in this thread. Is it to early for brake pads to wear out? 70% of my driving is in crazy Mumbai traffic.

Ford fiesta classic 1.4 tdci.

During the last service, asked the ford mechanic to check for brake pad life. He asked how much mileage had i done. I said, 40k. He replied, it will last another 40k.

With 80% highway driving and at <100 kmph speeds, this is expected though.

The Brake pads life totally depends on how you use them. There was a time when we had separate vehicles for in city and out of city use. The Esteem I used in city then never gave me beyond 20,000 km per set, the Tata Indigo that replaced it gave decent life of 50,000 km/set, but the car was such that downshifting got it to below 20 kph even in city and brakes were touched only then. The best was my Innova used mostly on highways where I changed brake pads and tires both at exact 1,00,000 km, and that to as I felt that these components should be rested, Tires had about a mm tread above the tread wear indicator. I got the pads checked in my current polo at the 30,000 Km service and they were worn less than half way.

Rahul

I have a Getz CRDI which has done about 63000 kms and its also riding on the diesel tuning chip. During the last service at the Hyundai ASC, the service adviser asked me to replace the disc brake pads costing about INR 4500 :Shockked:.Just last month I had brake pads replaced for my Duster at INR 1750, the getz pads are way too expensive. The adviser informed that its due to the end of life of getz, that these parts are that expensive.

Then I browsed through TBHP and got the Brembo Disc pads at INR 2200 from Amit. I transferred the money through the bank and the pads were shipped the next day !!. I got them replaced through the BOSCH garage and now its running absolutely fine without any sounds or screeching noises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkaushal (Post 3581049)

Then I browsed through TBHP and got the Brembo Disc pads at INR 2200 from Amit. I transferred the money through the bank and the pads were shipped the next day !!. I got them replaced through the BOSCH garage and now its running absolutely fine without any sounds or screeching noises.

:OT
Is this through some TBHP member who can supply spare parts for out of production vehicles? I am asking because I have started facing occasional problems with parts availability for my petrol Logan.

Dear all,

The pic is of my Punto 1.2 brake-pads: stock, 2.75 yrs old, run 26000 kms clap: and still the brake bites great. How much life is still left? Both the sides have identical thickness; posting only the right side for your comments. There is no screech/squeal or whatever, and moderate brake dust every week. Please advise.please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli (Post 3592193)
How much life is still left? Both the sides have identical thickness; posting only the right side for your comments. There is no screech/squeal or whatever, and moderate brake dust every week. Please advise.

Depends on how you brake, late brake or progressive braking.

With an average brakes usage I think it would come for another 15K kms.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3592199)
Depends on how you brake

Engine braking all its life....:) thanks to all who advised in favor: on and off TBHP! The new pads were, may be, twice as thick. Is there a shelf life or "must replace by" period, as in tyres, brake fluid etc etc? I am fairly certain there isn't any, but still asking just to be sure. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli (Post 3592229)
Engine braking all its life....:) thanks to all who advised in favor: on and off TBHP! The new pads were, may be, twice as thick. Is there a shelf life or "must replace by" period, as in tyres, brake fluid etc etc? I am fairly certain there isn't any, but still asking just to be sure. please:

Engine braking. :thumbs up

I don't think there is any shelf life but do check the pads if it has any wear indicator like found on tyres.

Anurag.

How are the Bosch brake pads?
My Wagon R has already run 67,000 kms on the stock and think it is time to replace the pads.

Plan to get it done from the Bosch centre at Thane.

The diesel amaze brake pads just suck !

We have seen so many owners here reporting of worn out pads as early as 8K kms , mine was replaced at 18 K kms. Cost was 2.2 K INR.

Immediately after replacing these , my brake pedal started vibrating even on mild braking. Honda tells me the discs need skimming because of uneven wear on a car that's done less than 20 K kms ! My zen needed skimming just twice in its 14 years of driving.

13 K kms later ie at 31 K kms on the odo my brake pads give away again ! This time close to 12 K kms out of these 13 were on the highways , which should have meant a longer brake pad life ! Honda once again gives me an idiotic answer saying " many owners have pads replaced at lesser than 10 K kms , yours has lasted 13 K kms "

To summarise , my car needs 6K INR every 30 K kms to be spent just on replacing brake pads ! Which is 1000 INR for every 5K kms of driving.

The Amaze has many more interesting niggling issues , but my thread with a list of all issues I have seen was disallowed. I was told to convert that into an ownership thread instead of making it an Amaze thread.

Am glad this topic let's me share atleast one of them

Anyone have any idea on the life of brake disc rotors for the X1 ? How do we know when it's time to change rather than hearing it often from the SA, since the brake seems to be working fine.

Got my Wagon R brakepads changed yesterday.

Got the brakepads replaced by the original TVS Girling set of 4 pads.

The old pad(originally came with the car) still had about 0.6 mm left yet decided to change them more as a preventive measure.

Total Kms. on original Set: 67500 kms
Could easily last for another 5000 kms or so I guess.

Total Cost: Rs. 750/- for 4 pads
Labour: Rs. 250/-
Tips: Rs. 100/-(for very good service and attention to detail)

Total Cost: Rs. 1100/-

The front wheels rims heats up a bit after running. Though I know it is common but would still show to the mechanic for his opinion.