Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 11:44   #16
BHPian

Finally thought that this is solved.
Yes and No.
Leakage has stopped. But I feel some roughness in ride.
Is it normal to have some roughness after some oil change?

I checked oil levels using dip stick and it is fine.
May be that they didn't put the right oil (right viscosity etc ???)
Old 10th June 2008, 23:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I checked oil levels using dip stick and it is fine.
May be that they didn't put the right oil (right viscosity etc ???)
Request some help on this.
How do I determine if right quality of oil is used.
Just have a weird doubt that they might have put oil supposed to be used for Petrol engines in Diesel car.
They took some oil from a drum.

Let me take some to explain the "roughness" which I am experiencing.

Gear shift is fine, and smooth.
When I accelerate or try to speed up(as usual never get to touch 60 unless on inner ring road for a brief time) I feel that some thing is grainy kind of roughness, and I feel it under my feet.

Not sure, I am able to make justice with my explanation, but may be experienced folks might just understand what it is.

Is this normal? Is there a way to check if the right oil is used? or should I change oil again?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think the total oil in the entire system should be between 4 & 5 L.
Your owners manual might have this figure.

Glad to hear you got your problem solved sriturl.

cya
R

Engine Oil in oil sump is 3.1 to 3.2 lts on a average in Swift D.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Request some help on this.
How do I determine if right quality of oil is used.
Just have a weird doubt that they might have put oil supposed to be used for Petrol engines in Diesel car.
They took some oil from a drum.

Let me take some to explain the "roughness" which I am experiencing.

Gear shift is fine, and smooth.
When I accelerate or try to speed up(as usual never get to touch 60 unless on inner ring road for a brief time) I feel that some thing is grainy kind of roughness, and I feel it under my feet.

Not sure, I am able to make justice with my explanation, but may be experienced folks might just understand what it is.

Is this normal? Is there a way to check if the right oil is used? or should I change oil again?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Please drain all the oil and get it replaced with the right quantity if you suspect a mixup!
Old 11th June 2008, 18:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

You may have whacked something else as well, your exhaust system and its heat shields for example. These may be vibrating. Have a good guy go under and look some more.
Old 3rd July 2008, 22:00   #21
rippergeo

Like dieselfan said, its 3.1L for the swift.
you rarely need more than 3L unless you're changing the oil filter and are using a flush.

check with the MASS where you got your oil change done what grade the oil is. immediately after an oil change, the engine should feel smoother. definitely not rougher. but I doubt if anyone has senses fine enough to pick up a difference in grade of the engine oil just by listening to the engine note.

like DD said, maybe there is something else loose that is vibrating and making the engine sound rough.

the mechanic you saw doesnt seem to know much, if he's saying the DDiS needs only 2.75L

Old 4th July 2008, 08:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Like dieselfan said, its 3.1L for the swift.
you rarely need more than 3L unless you're changing the oil filter and are using a flush.

check with the MASS where you got your oil change done what grade the oil is. immediately after an oil change, the engine should feel smoother. definitely not rougher. but I doubt if anyone has senses fine enough to pick up a difference in grade of the engine oil just by listening to the engine note.

like DD said, maybe there is something else loose that is vibrating and making the engine sound rough.

the mechanic you saw doesnt seem to know much, if he's saying the DDiS needs only 2.75L
I didnt update this thread for a while, but now the situation seems to be fine. Right after oil change, it was very smooth, and then it roughened a bit, but stabilized later.
What I derived from reading around, if you top up without draining out all the oil, there will be some mismatch of viscosity, and gets stabilized eventually.

Request experts to confirm the same.

Anyway, I am not happy with Servo, which Maruti dealers use. I might shift to other oil like Castrol or Shell at 5K mark.

Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks