Team-BHP - swift-vdi Gear box fails
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   swift-vdi Gear box fails (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/40931-swift-vdi-gear-box-fails.html)

I have been driving my swfit-vdi for 6 months and clocked to 14 ,500 kms in coimbatore .Now i got a gear shifting problem from 3 rd to 2nd where i cannot push the lever to engage the 2nd gear.I have contacted the
dealer they said it would be a damage in syncronisation between the gears and they blame it happens only if we drive recklessly:Frustrati.
Anyway they have acknowledged for the warranty replacement but still it is revolting.I have had petrol ikon and a lancer but never experienced such an infernal.The car is really note worthy if we look up the milleage and power but where is the reliability ?I was made to wait for 6 months until they delivered my car after booking .Now I am completly disatisfied with my car and it really makes me a big **** in the world.stupid:

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

What is it about cars with Fiat engines? Before Palio, now Swift - so many issues??

14,500 in 6 months? Thats something. Could you tell more about the usage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabloo (Post 862686)
What is it about cars with Fiat engines? Before Palio, now Swift - so many issues??

Dabloo, what has Gear box to do with Engine?
Only engine is from Fiat, Gear box is from Maruti Suzuki.

Get your auto knowledge right before you post such baseless remarks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 862700)
Dabloo, what has Gear box to do with Engine?
Only engine is from Fiat, Gear box is from Maruti Suzuki.

Get your auto knowledge right before you post such baseless remarks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabloo (Post 862686)

14,500 in 6 months? Thats something. Could you tell more about the usage?

Will it be possible to stick to the topic please ? Chill out cheers:

It seems highly unlikely that the synchro rings have worn out/broken, if you are able to shift to the 2nd ratio in the first place, i.e, 1st to 2nd.

It could be that the shift selector has worn out or been dislocated. Or perhaps the shift gate has worn out.

Whatever the case may be, it's a direct warranty replacement. Good to hear that MUL was prompt to act on the same.

Although a one-off case as it may seem, it's highly unlikely of Maruti to cause such leniency in the QA dept.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1 (Post 862836)
It seems highly unlikely that the synchro rings have worn out/broken, if you are able to shift to the 2nd ratio in the first place, i.e, 1st to 2nd.

It could be that the shift selector has worn out or been dislocated. Or perhaps the shift gate has worn out.

Whatever the case may be, it's a direct warranty replacement. Good to hear that MUL was prompt to act on the same.

Although a one-off case as it may seem, it's highly unlikely of Maruti to cause such leniency in the QA dept.

@Veyron - How do you propose to check gearbox internals after assembly? By running it? Ok - For how many km's - In this case it ran for 14.5k, so maybe 15k is enough. Let's make it 20k to be on the safe side. Which car company is going to run all it's gearboxes for 20k?

I had a Swift Diesel which ran 23k in 9 months, most of it highway drives. Apart from first and rear shift becoming difficult at times(which always went away after they did adjustments at service), I did not face a single issue.

What Vijayakumar is facing is a warranty issue. Busa also faced gearbox issues, but maruti fixed it under warranty. There is no need for mass hysteria, as for every car that has an issue, there is probably 100 which doesn't have any. Else t-BHP would know. After all Swift diesels have the most number of threads than any other car.

Vijaykumar, I understand your frustration - you just happen to be an unlucky guy. Get the gearbox fixed to your satisfaction under warrantly, else write to Maruti and I am sure they will address whatever issue you have.

Maruti cars are not faultfree, but their support is one of the best. Use it to your advantage. Be tough with the dealer, if need be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijayakumar (Post 862663)
I have contacted the dealer they said it would be a damage in syncronisation between the gears and they blame it happens only if we drive recklessly.

Vijayakumar, have you shown the car to the dealer or was this a telephonic dialog? Sorry, I didn't quite understand it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuttapan (Post 863363)
@Veyron - How do you propose to check gearbox internals after assembly? By running it? OK - For how many km's - In this case it ran for 14.5k, so maybe 15k is enough. Let's make it 20k to be on the safe side. Which car company is going to run all it's gearboxes for 20k?

I had a Swift Diesel which ran 23k in 9 months, most of it highway drives. Apart from first and rear shift becoming difficult at times(which always went away after they did adjustments at service), I did not face a single issue.

What Vijayakumar is facing is a warranty issue. Busa also faced gearbox issues, but maruti fixed it under warranty. There is no need for mass hysteria, as for every car that has an issue, there is probably 100 which doesn't have any. Else t-BHP would know. After all Swift diesels have the most number of threads than any other car.

Vijaykumar, I understand your frustration - you just happen to be an unlucky guy. Get the gearbox fixed to your satisfaction under warrantly, else write to Maruti and I am sure they will address whatever issue you have.

Maruti cars are not fault free, but their support is one of the best. Use it to your advantage. Be tough with the dealer, if need be.

Maruti or any car company need not run each and every car for 20k to check the quality.Quality is checked on the internal parts.If that is OK then the working of the gear box should also be right.
Here the issue would be the synchronizer which fails when enormous torque is acting on it.That is the reason why the service guys said that this is due to rash driving.In a lancer which was owned by you before the torque generated is far less than a swift d.So try to put the torque to wheels in a more controlled manner.
I appreciate MSIL to promptly react to the issue and you should be happy that they are covering it under warranty.
ram

The dealers normally start blaming the driver. You should force them to contact Maruti.

My swift had a clutch failure at 3000 km, they accused me of driving with the handbrake on. I told them to remove the rear hubs and prove it. They then realised that I was not a push over and took pictures of the car and sent it to Maruti. I was then told to take the repaired car and they will contact me with the bill later. That was 2.5 years ago!

Thats the best part on the dealers "blame the owner" for using wrong fuel, driving reclessly, not driving properly.

I don't know if they themselves know how to drive properly and I wonder when will they grow up to a maturer customer service.

Just push it back to them, ask them to prove it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuttapan
@Veyron - How do you propose to check gearbox internals after assembly? By running it? Ok - For how many km's - In this case it ran for 14.5k, so maybe 15k is enough. Let's make it 20k to be on the safe side. Which car company is going to run all it's gearboxes for 20k?

Perhaps you mis-comprehended. What I was trying to say was that all cars, not just Marutis, go through thorough QA at the assembly line, to eradicate part/component failure.

Synchro ring failure (under normal driving conditions) at such an early stage indicates serious QA lapses wherein the metal components (of the tranny) are not being subjected to proper scrutiny (at the component manufacturing stage). Linkage failure, on the other hand, could be a assmebly/human error. Like loose door-hinges/panels.

There have been quite a few Swift diesels with numerous issues that I've come across. And quite a few petrols with clutch issues, amongst others.

All I'm trying to insinuate is that perhaps the new lots of Marutis are skimping on QA, a trade-off w.r.t. volumes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1 (Post 863521)
Perhaps you mis-comprehended. What I was trying to say was that all cars, not just Marutis, go through thorough QA at the assembly line, to eradicate part/component failure.

Synchro ring failure (under normal driving conditions) at such an early stage indicates serious QA lapses wherein the metal components (of the tranny) are not being subjected to proper scrutiny (at the component manufacturing stage). Linkage failure, on the other hand, could be a assmebly/human error. Like loose door-hinges/panels.

There have been quite a few Swift diesels with numerous issues that I've come across. And quite a few petrols with clutch issues, amongst others.

All I'm trying to insinuate is that perhaps the new lots of Marutis are skimping on QA, a trade-off w.r.t. volumes.

i agree word to word and i really feel sorry for the victims, and i surely dint expect this from Maruthi any day, forget the diesel swift for a second, because its not a complete maruthi suzuki car, but then the swift petrol should have been engineered properly, their cars inspire trust but the swift has changed my impression on maruthi forever.

after having read so much i dont think i will recommend some one this car.

Forget to add, it is for this very reason i had my gearbox oil in my swift diesel changed in the first service, after that the gear box has been really smooth unlike the first 1000kms and the complaints from others.

i sincerely hope maruthi practices the same as standard service routine in the first service so that in the initial 1000kms the metal pieces that are run in even from the gear box are thrown out and fresh oil is put in for better service of the gear box for longer time. any opinions in this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider60 (Post 863582)
standard service routine in the first service so that in the initial 1000kms the metal pieces that are run in even from the gear box are thrown out and fresh oil is put in for better service of the gear box for longer time. any opinions in this?

LOL, I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'metal pieces', but yes, I agree fully about this as being GOOD PRACTICE.
Despite any claims from manufacturers regarding 'enhanced' period for FIRST service, all oils in any machinery ought to be changed within the first few hours of 'commissioning'! Mechanical parts 'bed in' and any metal dust thus produced should not be left in the system to cause grinding and premature failures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baleno
You mean they run each and every engine they manufacture (worldwide that would be like many million engines) for a set duration, to run-in the engine and then change the oil before shipping the car to the customer ?

I've heard about another manufacturer doing this. But,Im not sure if this is standard practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 863433)
Here the issue would be the synchronizer which fails when enormous torque is acting on it.That is the reason why the service guys said that this is due to rash driving.In a lancer which was owned by you before the torque generated is far less than a swift d.So try to put the torque to wheels in a more controlled manner.ram

Sorry Ram,

I quite like your posts and insights but I think you're wrong here. every company is duty-bound to over-engineer its products (except the El-Cheapo nano?) to account for the same. You can't deliver an enthusiast's vehicle with a sedentary synchronizer, so to speak. Isn't it obvious?

Quote:

You mean they run each and every engine they manufacture (worldwide that would be like many million engines) for a set duration, to run-in the engine and then change the oil before shipping the car to the customer ? Is there any documentation to back up this ?
Even BAL does this. Standard practice. else your regular bike delivery boys will screw the engine wihle unloading it! Notice how carelessly they treat it. Sedentary running-in is quite a myth IMO.