Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 15:23   #1
bkm
BHPian

How to clean the car roof upholstery

I have spark. In rainy season at Mumbai , it is difficult to avoid any muddy blot/streak in the neat areas inside your car. There is a black thin muddy streak on the car roof upholstery. How it can be cleaned ? Can the liquid cleaners used for plastic part or glass be used for the purpose.
Old 13th June 2008, 15:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Washing powder mixed in water.

Soak a clean cloth, wipe.

Wipe with cloth dipped in plain water in the last.
Old 13th June 2008, 15:52   #3
BHPian

I have seen my uncle using 'white kerosine' for cleaning uphostery. it is easily available in motor markets/industrial units. Dont use blue kerosine, which is available in the markets.

you can also use upholstery/carpet cleaner foams, which are available in supermarkets and cost not more than INR 100/-.
Old 13th June 2008, 15:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Take it to the service station and ask them for upholstery cleaning with interiors. They should be able to do a clean job.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 00:16   #5
BHPian

Re: How to clean the car roof upholstery

Even I have the same problem. Lots of finger stains on the roof. Was thinking of getting those carpet/fabric cleaning foam, do they work?
Old 6th August 2012, 11:40   #6
BHPian

I have been cleaning the roof upholstery with liberal amount of 'Colin' on a microfiber cloth to satisfaction but if the roof is very dirty Colin may not clean 100% being a mild cleaner. Takes just half hour or so. The 1st time I cleaned, had to wash the microfiber 3 times during the cleaning (with plain water) due to excess dirt
Old 6th August 2012, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

3M or the likes do a wonderful job in upholstery cleaning. They use foam cleansers and then some sort of a vacum cleaner to get the dirt out.

A DIY remedy would be the same. Get a foam sprayer and then wipe it out with a damp cloth, post which wipe it with cloth dipped in plain water.
Old 27th May 2020, 19:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
I have been cleaning the roof upholstery with liberal amount of 'Colin' on a microfiber cloth to satisfaction but if the roof is very dirty Colin may not clean 100% being a mild cleaner.
I recently had a can of diet coke explode on the backseat of my Hexa due to it being left in the car in extreme heat.

Thankfully it was diet coke so didn't create a sticky mess - but did leave brown splatter in quite a few places. The roofline was getting slightly dirty around the edges as it is. So decided to give it a good clean. Took some advice from DIY videos online and wiped the roof with a sponge and some fabric cleaner (It was Ezee most probably). Though the coke spots went away, the roof had some dark patches in places after drying.

Came to TeamBhp and followed this advice - used some colin over the patchy places, and rubbed with a microfiber cloth. Though the patches have reduced, it's still a no go.

I lean a little towards the OCD side when it comes to maintaining my 2.5-year-old Hexa.

One solution is to take it to a professional, but can only do that once COVID blows away. It would give me a lot of pain to see the roof each time I use the car until then.

Could anyone please suggest on how can I do an impeccable job in cleaning the roof?

Many Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks