Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Help Needed with CAI for IKON 1.6

MODS: Sorry for putting up a new thread but did'nt figure out any other way for this urgent query.

Guys i had got a K n N conical for my IKON 1.6 and kept the stock air box assembly(just got rid of the top cover) thinking it should be good to take in cold air from the stock intake routing, but its not working, seems like the bottom half of thr air-box is restricting air to the filter.

I am planning to get an aluminium/stainless steel piping TOMORROW itself to replace the air-box and stock piping but there is one thing that worries me.
Sorry cannot support my query through pics but Ikon owners might figure this out better.
Just behind the air-box where the intake pipe connects with the throttle body, ther is a down-pipe branching out from the main -pipe and goes downward to conect to a box located behind the bumper, is visible if you open the hood.
It just didnt make any sense to me as to why is already filtered air being routed to another place apart from going to the TB. I would understand if that box was before the air-box which might have another filter and is taking in air from behind the bumper, but why would it be at a place where the air is already filtered and thus reducing the amount of air being fed in the TB and intake manifold.
I asked the people at Ford and the response was "Arre sir kuch nahi hai, aise hi hai"- this was an advisor, then a mechanic with a blank look on his face said "pata nahi sir", and another said it was to mute the induction sound.
Yes, exactly! i am sure most of you are saying the same thing "What The ****!!"
I mean for heavens sake how loud could the induction sound be that it has to be muted.
I really did'nt expect this from Ford, i thought atleast they might know. Well! This might also mean that its not of much importance.

But please please please help me out to determine if it is of any relevance so i can get rid of the stock assembly omorrow without any worries.
Old 13th June 2008, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Just behind the air-box where the intake pipe connects with the throttle body, ther is a down-pipe branching out from the main -pipe and goes downward to conect to a box located behind the bumper,
Is this 'box' open to atmosphere? What does the 'box' contain? Is there perhaps a 'flap type' non-return valve fitted in there?
Sorry, I do not own a Ford; can't help wondering.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:09   #3
BHPian

Have no clue Anup because as far as i could see, i dont see it has any other connection going out of it and cant see any openings aswell. But dont think there can be any valve there.
The mechanic saying that it is to mute induction noise made sense but again how loud can induction noise be?
Old 13th June 2008, 21:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic saying that it is to mute induction noise made sense but again how loud can induction noise be?
Abhik, induction noise CAN be very high on turbocharged engines, though on naturally aspirated ones this is never really an issue.

Does it look like it could be a trap of some sort? For dust particles that get past the filter?
Or, an alternate air 'intake' in case of filter being badly clogged (hence the NR valve query)?
What is the size of this 'additional' pipe, wrt main pipe?

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th June 2008 at 21:15.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Abhik, induction noise CAN be very high on turbocharged engines, though on naturally aspirated ones this is never really an issue.

Does it look like it could be a trap of some sort? For dust particles that get past the filter?
Or, an alternate air 'intake' in case of filter being badly clogged (hence the NR valve query)?
What is the size of this 'additional' pipe, wrt main pipe?
Same size, and that could be("trap") but again that does not make any sense because if that were so then that filter is never cleaned/Ford then would have known what it was. And after 50000-60000KMS i am sure it would be clogged jam.
Not that the car was designed for off-roading that an alternate air-intake would have made sense and then again a snorkell would do the job not an intake that could potentially suck in water from underneath the bumper
Old 13th June 2008, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then again a snorkell would do the job not an intake that could potentially suck in water from underneath the bumper
Yea, right. Very intriguing none the less!
Old 13th June 2008, 21:55   #7
BHPian

Guys see if this helps:-
Ford Ikon 1.6 SXi - 2002 ( Spanish Red ) Zulu - normally_crazy's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
Look closely at the bottom end of the engine bay pic and you will notice that downpipe i am talking about(its at the extreme bottom-right of the pic), it branches out from the main intake pipe and this is after the air-box.

Last edited by abhik : 13th June 2008 at 21:59.
Old 13th June 2008, 22:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys see if this helps:-
Ford Ikon 1.6 SXi - 2002 ( Spanish Red ) Zulu - normally_crazy's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
Look closely at the bottom end of the engine bay pic and you will notice that downpipe i am talking about(its at the extreme bottom-right of the pic), it branches out from the main intake pipe and this is after the air-box.
Sorry abhik, can't make out from those photos.
Does appear to be a 'liquid' drain, which probably would then have a 'flap valve' in that box.
Old 13th June 2008, 22:02   #9
BHPian

BTW what is a flap valve and its functionality?
Old 13th June 2008, 22:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just a lightweight large area valve that works very well in certain applications. It is always a 'non-return' type, that allows flow in one direction only.
Old 13th June 2008, 22:56   #11
BHPian

Well! That again doesnt make any sense as it would mean it is taking out air sucked in and filtered by the air filter, thus little/no air left for the TB/engine creating a vaccum there....engine blow out!!!
Old 14th June 2008, 01:21   #12
BHPian

Resonator tubing? Looks too long to be it though. Remove the bumper and check where it leads to.
Old 14th June 2008, 07:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well! That again doesnt make any sense as it would mean it is taking out air sucked in and filtered by the air filter, thus little/no air left for the TB/engine creating a vaccum there....engine blow out!!!
Nononono....it would only open outwards with the weight of any water/liquid that may have collected and then promptly close again! No chance of any air being let out.
Old 16th June 2008, 19:12   #14
BHPian

All right guys just got to know what that stupid box was. Called up Jignesh @ Viper Performance and told him about it and he said its a resonator box and i could remove it eyes closed to fit a CAI steel pipe.
Then i went to get the Intake pipe fitted but unfortunately the Ikon needs a custom made pipe as the battery hinders the routing and the none of the Pipes available off-the shelf could make the routing, so decided to go with the stock Intake pipe but without the resonator.
When the mechanic managed to get the resonator out, to my amazement it was just a closed hollow box with no outlet of any sort and just did not make any sense of why it existed. So i happily got rid of it and closed the hole/routing to the resonator. The performance from the K n N was now showing. Ill put up the pics in a different thread where i have mentioned about other mods.
Old 16th June 2008, 19:13   #15
BHPian

MODS : Thread can now be closed as its purpose has been fullfilled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks